Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Civil War facts of today

Awesome Highstrung! Great history and connection to have. I'm envious.

All I know is these folks would be back in the Grey if they knew the BS the Feds are doing today.

Another one of my grandfathers and the gentleman I'm named after.

http://www.researchonline.net/sccw/unit135.htm

I have Col. Ralph Nesbit's drawings and books still in our hand from his battles. Some years ago my mother sent copies to The Citadel for their records.

Why I named my son Teige.

e Cantey family of South CaroHna is undoubtedly of
    Irish descent; but nothing is known of its early history.'
    In the 17th century several members of the family emi-
    grated to Barbados; and one branch came from there to
    South Carolina. The first of the name to make this move
    was George Cantey,' who came in the "first fleet" in the
    spring of 1670; and a few years later he "imported" his
    father Teige Cantey. So far as is known, all the widely
    separated branches of the family in America descend from
    this single head, Teige Cantey. -i '^^'"iSS'l

In Hotten's ''Emigrants, etc.," tliere is reference to a
    Mrs. Hellen Cantey, who was living in Barbados in 1680;
    but her connection with Teige is not known.

Through the whole history of South Carolina members
    of this family have done distinguished service, both in
    Church and State. They were vestrymen or founders of
    St. James' Goose Creek, of St. George's, of St. Mark's and
    of St. Stephen's. They were members of the Commons in
    Assembly almost continuously from 1696 to 1775. One
    after the other, William Cantey, of Dorchester; his nephew,
    John Cantey, of Goose Creek; James Cantey and Joseph
    Cantey, sons of William; were Captains of the provincial
    forces and took part in nearly all the campaigns; John
    Cantey of Pine Tree Hill, Samuel Cantey and his brother

*In compiling this genealogy I have had at every point the invaluable
    assistance of the suggestions and advice of D. E. Huger Smith, Esq.,
    and of the skill of ]\Iiss Mabel L. Webber in searching for records.
    Without their help this paper would never have been written. The
    sections devoted to P^lizabeth (Cantey) Elmes and her children were
    compiled by M. Alston Read, Esq.

Cool stuff Highstrung.

I have a receipt for a slave that my family sold. Four year old girl for $250. Kind of sobering to hold. I've never been sure what to do with it. Framing it seems wrong to me, so I keep it in a fire safe.
    Last edited by Geetch; 03-08-2012 at 11:51 PM.

I have a great story I'll pull up one day. I do live two blocks away from this man's monument in Camden.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=1150

HS, I envy your strong history to this great state. One said of my family hails from Georgia. The other side from the low country of South Carolina.

I know of 8 family members who fought for the Confederacy. 3 died in the war and I have no idea, where their resting place is. The other 5 are buried within 30 minutes of Johnsonville. 2 years me and my Grandaddy put new headstones up for them.

My Great Grandma, born in 1922, can recall memories of 2 of them. I only wish I could've picked her brain more, but that damned Alzheimer's has her now, heart breaking, it is.

Back in '03, before Alzheimer's got her, I was 13. We was watching a show about neo nazi's and racist gangs. She said "I hope God strikes them down for Portraying that flag, in such a manner." She then turned me and said, "You have Altman blood in you, son. Some great men fought and died under that flag, including your blood. Take great pride in that."

I wish high school, friends, and life could've slowed down a bit so, I could've got more history from her. Damn you Alzheimer's.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Good stuff HS..

My grandmother's mother on my mom's side was Ms. Ollie "Cash" Poole. Her father, Aaron Gage Cash, was born in 1836, died in 1886. His brother was Colonel W.B.C. Cash.

Colonel Cash is my Great Great Great Uncle.

Apparantly he would shoot your head off if you looked at him the wrong way, or said you were from Pennsylvania. Either one would get you killed. Damn Yankees.

All of my Great Great Great grandfathers fought for NC or SC in the War of Northern Agression.

Found out also during research that my 8th GG was in the revolutionary war and fought under Moultrie at Black Swamp, Two Sisters Ferry, and Coosawahatchie River. He then fought under Sumter at Rocky Mount, Hanging Rock, and King's Mountain.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 03-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Took this picture yesterday in downtown Greenville. Would have loved to spend some time listening to these soldiers.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

My great, great grandfather was in the 10th SC Infantry Regiment, Company F (Pee Dee Rangers) He was killed at Chickamauga. Last year, thanks to a park ranger, I was able to trace his steps on the day he died. I probably walked to within a couple hundred yards of where he fell. The park ranger had written a book on the 10th SC and knew it's movements like he had been there.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Both sides of my family fought in the War of Norther Aggression. One side as Cherokee riflemen with Thomas' Legion, 69th NC Regiment and the other with several different South Carolina Infantries.

I am directly related to Stand Watie, the first NDN to make the rank of general. Brig. General CSA. Also the Standridges and Walking Sticks fought alongside him. These are Cherokees whom I'm also related to.

My blood has been Sothron since before there was a South, when there were no Europeans here. I'm just as proud of one side as I am the other. Even the handful on both sides who were cutthroats after the war that got hung. They hated yankees and would kill them on sight.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."