Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: impoundment help

bogster said
    If your impoundment is in a heavy deer traffic area i would recommend using sunflowers and jap millet.
    you seriously must have never planted sunflowers.
    thats the second time you have said that and it bugs me more than the first. bugster.

True that! Emerging sunflowers are like opiates to deer.

Truth to tell, there are very few field crops that deer won't eat. They will even eat tobacco plants!
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

You bee right SW & ABB. Bogster you planted Sunflower? Dang deer will eat almost anything green when you don't want them to. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Maybe where y'all live, but in the land of soybean and cornfields where Bog and I live, they won't do much more than nip a stem or two on sunflowers. We have planted them on and off for years and I have yet to see one deer stand and browse on sunflowers as they do in beanfields. 30 miles down the road at the Santee Refuge deer will graze sprouting corn to the ground. At our place they won't touch it. Now why I ask, is that?

i have had this same debate with LCS over and over, and we came to the conclusion that the other guy was wrong.

i have had a 10 acre sunflower field eaten to the ground when the crop was just emerging...but i can plant corn right next to it and the deer don't touch it (saving it for the hogs, I guess). JABs place is 15 miles away and he can make sunflowers....why is that? did someone ask that already?

if i had a new impoundment anywhere, I would try corn. if the deer ate it, i would scramble to get some millet and other crap in there and bait the piss out of it and not hunt....most new impoundment owners need to understand that hunting the first few years can ruin it, anyway.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thank you JAB!!
    SW, I have grown up around farming, have you???
    Johnny is right, the deer will nip the at the stems and eat the tops off when the plants are small.
    And i too have yet to see deer grazing for periods of time in a sunflower field.
    They will stay for HOURS in your corn field.
    How much do you plant up there sportin?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

ummm...bog...listen...i will type slowly so you can follow.

sportin' woodies farms. you best get ready.

i have watched MANY deer feed in my freshly sprouting sunflowers. MANY deer. they ate the field every night until they got to the side of the field in front of the barn. then, they ate that.

but our 30 acres of corn in the impoundments went untouched until it tassled and the hogs ate it.

so...my point...although you kissed JABs ass twice in the same post, is that you might be wrong on this one. every area is different. just because you and JAB haven't seen deer eat sunflowers on your little piece of heaven, doesn't mean it isn't happenning down the road.

Dammit Tooth. I was dying to see SW's reply to the "I grew up AROUND farming" comment. Now you went and blew it!

There is no right or wrong. Only the question of WHY will they eat them some places and pass them up in others?

What would possess a deer to eat sprouting corn on the Santee Refuge?

I bet ya SW comes back and says something anyway. His family has one HUGE farming operation.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

"so...my point...although you kissed JABs ass twice in the same post, is that you might be wrong on this one. every area is different. just because you and JAB haven't seen deer eat sunflowers on your little piece of heaven, doesn't mean it isn't happenning down the road."

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that SW took the first shot and that quote could just as easily be applied to him. Just because they mow sunflowers to the ground in his little slice of heaven, doesn't mean they will in G3's neck of the woods...

i dont get it, either...but i do know that deer will eat anything you fertililze. it might have something to do with a mineral in the soil that makes some deer eat corn in certain areas and not in others.

if it weren't for hogs, i could grow some serious corn.

if it weren't for deer, i could grow some serious sunflowers.

although i am told that is not the case in other areas.

SW-take a deep breath before you respond. use humor to prove your point. i am ready.

You can come on down the road east about 45 miles and you can't grow soybeans,sunflowers,corn(without fencing or plot saver).............and even tobacco and cotton are hit hard.

Deer turn on corn stalks heavily during droughts, but that shouldn't be a problem in the river swamps where you are.

We have 50:1 times the deer down in the swamp that we have up on the mountain. Yet, on the mountain you can't get a soybean past sprout stage because of the deer. The same sized plot in the swamp will grow market beans. It just doesn't figure...

jab is right. [img]graemlins/kissbutt.gif[/img]

but he is getting too easy to pick on these days....I think NAB has him flustered.

Deer demolish sunflowers on our place, and will flat hurt the corn once it tassles. That said, we had a 1/4 acre corn plot get ruined last year. Once the corn sprouted, something went right down the rows and dug the seed up. Any ideas? Coons, squirrels, Crows, Turkeys? It had rained when we found it and couldn't find any tracks. Just little dug holes where the seed was.

Originally posted by Slaya:
    Deer demolish sunflowers on our place, and will flat hurt the corn once it tassles. That said, we had a 1/4 acre corn plot get ruined last year. Once the corn sprouted, something went right down the rows and dug the seed up. Any ideas? Coons, squirrels, Crows, Turkeys? It had rained when we found it and couldn't find any tracks. Just little dug holes where the seed was.
    Crows

They make a little package(Kernal Guard) that you pour on your seeds before planting. It will put a stop to that.
    Check with Southern States.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Resident ASSHOLE,
    i could care less to kiss ANYBODY's ass!!!
    I was just stating my opinion.
    Upstate deer must really like sunflowers.
    Down here, THEY SEEM TO FAVOR THE CORN A LITTLE BETTER.
    But hey, thats just my opinion.
    When i was in high school i worked for Jim Roquemore.(Super Sod)
    I didn't work with the Sod, i worked soley on his hunting preserve.
    MY boss and I planted every dove field, duck pond, quail plot - you name it.
    Out of almost 100 acres of sunflowers (total)
    I have only seen deer nip the tips when the plants were young.
    i know in the upstate the deer kung fu kick the basketball sized heads and devour them in seconds, But here they only nip the heads.
    Corn is king (you know i know it)
    and deer will eat it from 3inches to 5 1/2 feet.
    But toofman, i'm sure you know that.
    Good day.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Crows are probably the culprit, but if you have woods nearby squirrels can do the same thing.

Catdaddy is right about the Kernel Guard for crows. Works great, but EPA made the manufacturer change the formulation (removed the lindane and diazinon) a year or so ago. Not sure if the new stuff works as well.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

bawgstah said
    and deer will eat it from 3inches to 5 1/2 feet.
    5 1/2 foot corn isnt even flagging. esp in a warm, moist duck pond.
    i still say you dont know what youre talking about.
    i notice this trend in other topics of discussion.
    a deer is a deer is a deer.
    deer like peas more than beans, deer like sunflowers more than corn, deer like oats more than wheat, deer like acorns more than oats and slightly more than beans but not as much as sunflowers, or peas and dont plant pine trees in a severe drought because deer will eat pine trees.

i thank you been doin yer learnin on dem innernets.