Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draining the impoundment

explain that catdaddy. If it worked for them why wont it work on a corn pond? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Good question. I'll try to answer it without drawing another picture.

Keep in mind a beaver dam ,above the fence(not touching), will not effect the culvert drainage. The water would flow over the dam,through the fence,and out the culvert. The land above the dam would be flooded and not suitable for planting corn. The fence is to prevent the culvert from being stopped up and water flowing over the road.

I have had instances where beavers wanted to stop me from pumping water out of a canal, but it was too deep to build a dam. They just built a small dam 1/4 mile away where the canal met the swamp and was shallow enough for a dam.

Those little cocks are smart cuase I wouldnt think they would put that much effort in. I wonder if you fashioned some type of electric fence if it would work?

SCTIMBER Coots

I ain't wanting nothing to do with electric fences around water I got a dvd on the Clemson leveler, I think it was a good idea but you are limited in controlling water in small areas, you get the water right in one area, they (beavers) just go upstream or down from that and build another dam

I know a old man in Marion that boody traps his yard with 110 hooked to everything to keep the natives away. I bet he will tell me how to get rid of there ass.

This is the easiest way. WIth a little effort anybody with a set of waders can deal with them.

if you set your traps like the diagram, you will miss half your beaver. the trap will knock them out before it catches them. check with some on-line trapping sites as to how to properly set a connibear 330, or talk to a trapper. for a small fee of course! leg holds on a water set with a 1 way slide are devistating with a #4 longspring.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

So is a good rifle or load of buckshot at last light. I like a scoped .22 from an eleveated poisition. I can get more in one sitting.

BTW, Gents, Fish will be around shortly to tell us all we'd better not kill any beavers we don't intend to eat.

Cook a pound of bacon, toss it in the trash, roll the beaver in sage then smoke it for 4 hrs, MMMM MMMMM!

Originally posted by Tater:
    roll the beaver in sage then smoke it for 4 hrs, MMMM MMMMM!
    What kind of buzz is it?

[img]graemlins/smoke18.gif[/img]

Had good luck draining the ponds this year. We tried "shock and awe" on the beavers this time around.

1. Monday morning (1/29/07) we opened both flashboard risers and allowed them to drain by gravity for about nine hours (daylight). Then reinstalled the flashboards with beaver levellers as through pipes. These have drained continuously, but at a slower rate than the flashboard drains.

2. Tore down and burned both main beaver lodges the same day. Erected a "scarebeaver" with diesel-fuel soaked clothes at each drain.

3. Also on Monday we reversed our flood pumps and used them to pump water out of the fields. We have one electric pump and one engine-driven pump. Temporarily repiping the suction and discharge lines took a little effort! The electric pump ran continuously for six days. The gas unit ran about six hours per day for four days.

The beavers must have been somewhat disoriented by all the activity, because they never attempted to plug the levellers. Aided by relatively dry weather we drained both fields completely in seven days.

With any luck we may be able to do some bush hogging in parts of the fields this Saturday.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....