Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife killed her computer "clicky, click"

Default Wife killed her computer "clicky, click"

Wife got hook on the ole phishing line and crashed her hard drive. Must have been a beauty too because when I put that drive into my super clean machine to clean it, it jump on my drive too. Completely pisses me off. I mean nasty, won't boot, recovery comes up but does not work.

I have my supersecret Geeksquad on it firing it up on a Linux machine to see if I can get some image files off of my kid. I bought her an external drive months ago, but I guess osmosis does not work well with technology as she said she did not have all of her pictures over there. Oh well, FYI it was an email with a Facebbok notification that she had a new message and a hyperlink to got directly to it. She tells me at dinner that she is tired of people she doesnt know sending her messages on FB...thats when I knew it was going to get ugly. Oh well, I am building her a XP Pro internet appliance with a 40GB drive and that external drive that is dying of loneliness. Wish me luck, and patience with my wife. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

LOL.....Sorry that happened MG, but I can sympathize with you on the technological guru status of the spouse!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Mrs. Rubberhead clicks quick too. About once a week she bring me her laptop with some virus pop-up on it.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Hell I have a backup external drive for my backup external drive. I have tried to get Miss Vikki to put her pix on one of mine or get one of her own. Not gonna happen or it would have by now...

Mine likes to download plug ins. I swear, the browser is eaten up with 4/5's of crap in the header, and only 1/5 of viewable space.

I uninstall it once a month and next month, it is back.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Install Crashplan on a system in your house and back them up to each other...

MG, you just made feel like a complete dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    MG, you just made feel like a complete dumbass.
    I promise that was not the goal. My wife also enjoys online Scrabble and POGO whatever that is and I am not convinced the phishing did not originate from that, but it was FB they used as the bait (insert sermon about Facebook here.) I just am wearing my jackass ears proudly for not being able to bring it up safe on my machine without getting shrapnel. Lesson learned, hell it might be better to get her an iPad and keep her off anything windows. BTW I offered to get her a Mac Mini and she infromed me that Scrabble and POGO do not support MAC...oh really?!?? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Now I dont feel so stupid, cuz I know I got Scrabble on the Ipad (or at least my kids say we do). Another good reason for me not to Facebook. On a similar note, watched Social Network last night. What a jackass!

A while back, I got my mom a used mac laptop and removed both her windows based laptop and desktop from her house for this same reason. Tired of fixing her machines. Didn't really give her a choice. She was a little put out about it at first. Now she says she will never go back.

Best money I ever spent!

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Facebook is the devil.

I don't facebook.

Me either

Hell I can't FB. NO TIME and Dial-up to boot. Thanks ya Lord!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

MG, et al...

Cobian Backup software is free and works great. I use it to back up my XP machine 'My Docs' and MS Outlook .pst files to an external drive. You can set the frequency from daily to monthly or more... and decide on anywhere from 'Full' backup to 'Incremental', etc.

Once I install Win 7 I'm not sure I'll need it, but for now it's a great and easy program to use.

http://download.cnet.com/Cobian-Back...-10071828.html

Hope it helps...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Got my Mac Mini today, now on to that XP for the Mrs. I feel like I am cheating after all of these years kicking sand on all of those Mac hippies. That damn Mac Mini is smaller than the power supply in my desktops...literally. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Buy the wife a windows 7 license..... reloading XP at this point is crazy IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    MG, et al...

Cobian Backup software is free and works great. I use it to back up my XP machine 'My Docs' and MS Outlook .pst files to an external drive. You can set the frequency from daily to monthly or more... and decide on anywhere from 'Full' backup to 'Incremental', etc.

Once I install Win 7 I'm not sure I'll need it, but for now it's a great and easy program to use.

http://download.cnet.com/Cobian-Back...-10071828.html

Hope it helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    Install Crashplan on a system in your house and back them up to each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock & Rye View Post
    Buy the wife a windows 7 license..... reloading XP at this point is crazy IMHO.
    Well I have XP Pro around, it is stable and I am fully prepared to laod her PC in such a way that (whether she knows it or not) will not be able to load anything locally or run the Office suite. Basically it will be such that unpluggin the periphials and throwing the box away next time will only amount in about $30 loss of a hard drive, in fact I have an on IBM desktop chasis I am using to better help my decision next time she decides to open an email from a stranger or is curious and wants to see who has been looking at her Facebook profile. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero