Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 276 Volts

I hate electricity.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I bet JAB's FLUX CAPACITOR is his problem. Easier to travel in time from higher up!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I know just enough to get me in trouble.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I KNOW that I do NOT like any of this mess.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

'Lectric lingo is rad.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    'Lectric lingo is rad.
    “Got tight last night on absinthe and did knife tricks."-Ernest Hemingway

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duckkiller
    I was an athlete at Clemson, not a scholar.

Jab and Vikki, I don't know shit about wiring or electricity, but if you need anything from greater downtown Zirconia, hollar- I'll be glad to help. ftiw- I hear they are having fireworks at Roscoes this year-
    Last edited by Delmer; 07-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmer View Post
    Jab and Vikki, I don't know shit about wiring or electricity, but if you need anything from greater downtown Zirconia, hollar- I'll be glad to help. ftiw- I hear they are having fireworks at Roscoes this year-
    Thanks for the kind offer, Delmer.

I made the 3-1/2 hr venture to town yesterday. I think I got enough provisions & Hubba-Hubba for the long weekend. We may have to make another "ice run" ~ other than that we're good, (unless Hubba-Hubba wants to give me the bean recipe or access to their ice machine). I told Miss Kristin that I'd been in the biz for over 30 years & been invited to a couple of competitions: my charms fell upon deaf ears. No recipe for me. DARN IT!

I saw all the traffic/parked vehicles @ Roscoe's yesterday & wondered what was up.

BTW: Camps have new sessions starting tomorrow morning. Beware the Yankee mini-vans & BMW's on the road.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by shooterchris View Post
    Power factor is the ratio of true power (watts) to apparent power ( KVA ). It is commonly referred to with motor efficiency in my experience. Ex. 2 hp motor has a wattage of 1.5 KW and a rating of 1.8 KVA. This would give the motor a power factor of 83%. Capacitors are used to correct the 17% loss in power factor. Their purpose, by definition is to oppose a drop in voltage. I will not claim to know how this works in power distribution, but I can see how it could work in the given situation to avoid a drop in voltage going into the transformers. Since we are having a good discussion, I am familiar with motor capacitors. Is there a difference in the function of line capacitors?
    You are right there. When you generate electricity you want to be able to sell every watt you generate. Due to the inductive load placed on the grid from the users the utility installs Capacitor banks to correct the Power Factor. Same principle as with motor efficiency.

Bad transformer. Single phase components hooked to 3 phase would have blown up immediately, and tripped incoming circuit breaker. Phase to phase short. Dropped a wrench in a 480 panel years ago and it landed on top of a 480 contactor, shorting A and B phases. Cut the wrench in half , kicked out breakers on pole, and gave me a nice sunburn on all exposed skin. Dont make that mistake twice.
    Going to NMB to check a 75 hp motor and drive after lunch. Hopefully its fried and they need a new one.
    Last edited by FLS; 07-03-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Love this thread, not for the trick bag you got thrown in to JAB, because electricity is amazing and I only know enough to stay the f$%k away from it. In my former life working for the alrgest communcations company in the world, I can tell you that the only reason that our equipment ever failed was due to bad power. So I can answer your question about what to replace, here we go:

1. Anything that has an electric motor
    2. Anything that has a transformer
    3. Damn near anything else that was/is plugged in

While everyone knows about spikes, I can tell you from experience that sags, brown-outs and (less often) issues like you have with voltage kill things slow and sometimes after it is repaired. You are lucky you discovered it before they did. If they (the utility) had discovered/reapired it without your knowledge you would have no idea why your computer/ice maker/refrigerator/TV etc all lived shorter lives and it would have become so much of "those damn _______ (fill in you favorte third world country here) can't build it worth crap."

We would sell and install, especially if a client was at the end of the line, a power conditioner with true SINE Wave output. BTW Yamaha generators have true SINE wave output and are the only types rated for use with electronics for that reason. A generator will eat a refrigerator if it does not have a conditioner in front of it, don't ask me how I know. How you didn't lose anything you can't replace. MG

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/.../features.aspx
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 07-07-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero