Thread: Lightning Stike

Default Lightning Stike

Wireless Network at work was recently fried by lightning. FTC came in yesterday and replaced the modem and wireless router, and now 2 of the 3 computers ran on wireless can connect to the Internet. The computer that will not connect says the signal strength isn't strong enough to connect (even though its 10 yards away).

One computer is hooked via Ethernet to the modem, but will not connect to the Internet. I checked through device manager, and it says the Networking card is working properly.

I was wondering if the lightning could have messed up both the networking card and the wireless card on one computer....any help would be appreciated!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

More than likely, you now have a different IP address for your router. Go to the IP settings on the computers that will not connect and make sure that the TCP/IP settings are set to automatic. That will at least get you on the Internet. If you had mapped drives and shared printers, you may have other issues.

IP address was set to automatic. It is receiving a signal, but it is too weak to connect.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Are you 100% certain that you are connected to YOUR wireless? Did they rename the SSID on the wireless to something you recognize?

Yes, they renamed it...but that's not the problem. The computer is barley receiving a signal from the new router but i took my laptop in the same room and I'm receiving a full signal.

And it is 10 yards away... I would get another or just buy your own and make the DSL/Cable modem a passive device.

this may be a stupid question, but have you tried restarting the problem pc?

Just got a new wireless receiver, and it works fine now. Guess the lightning must have messed with the network card.

To answer your earlier question, the network cards are very susceptible to getting fried by lightning. Card will show a connection but no packets will be coming or going. Working for TWC years ago, "Internet out" service calls were widespread after a good lightning storm. For some reason it wouldn't get the modem, just the NIC card. Replace it, you should be good.

Also, on the wireless thing, I know you got it working, but just FYI if there's more than one wireless connection manager type program you're better erasing one of them. I've seen where two of said program will constantly fight for control of the wireless card.
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-14-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I removed the other before installing the new one. Thanks for the help!