Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BIG ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by CSBUCKSHOT View Post
    I thought that I had heard it didn't count. Something about it got mangled in the prop while reeling it in.
    different fish...

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    I don't know enough about the situation to pass judgment, but since there is a well know blue marlin tournament taking place in which 132 boats are competing, you would think the coast guard would at least be on standby.
    Not one to pass judgement before i know the facts, but here are some facts:

Theres over a 132 boats leaving out of Little River area every weekend, they dont land a chopper there to "stand-by". Didnt realize the Big Rock was like fishing the Bering Sea during Opillio season?
    They launched a Lifeboat immediately.
    Helicopters dont always have a rescue swimmer..i.e. medic onboard.
    The helicopter is probably based out of Elizabeth City..hundred or so miles away.
    It covers most of Southern Virginia and all of NC. Usually only ONE on standby. Getting a helo off the ground after initial call isnt a "5 minute evolution"

now this is speculation:
    Maybe they just got done with another mission and had to refuel?
    Lots of maybe's...when it pans out and if a delay was indeed preventable..then jump their ass..

PS: I cant believe they are killing those poor marlin just for money.
    I'm sorry...offshore lingo..."drying their asses out"...
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

damn one boat(i forgot the name) just lost a nice fish after a 2.5 fight..

Bizzy B
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Bizzy B
    check ...

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    Not one to pass judgement before i know the facts, but here are some facts:

Theres over a 132 boats leaving out of Little River area every weekend, they dont land a chopper there to "stand-by". Didnt realize the Big Rock was like fishing the Bering Sea during Opillio season?
    They launched a Lifeboat immediately.
    Helicopters dont always have a rescue swimmer..i.e. medic onboard.
    The helicopter is probably based out of Elizabeth City..hundred or so miles away.
    It covers most of Southern Virginia and all of NC. Usually only ONE on standby. Getting a helo off the ground after initial call isnt a "5 minute .
    Not trying to imply opelio season on the Bering Sea. Pointing out a substantial increase in offshore activity compared to a normal week.

Pull that g-string out of yer ass!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dfasano; 06-13-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Makes you think about what else you should have on an offshore boat on top of the usual safety gear. Aspirin, epi pen, etc.

Why are people hating on the CG for not having a chopper hovering over the fishing grounds?

It is obviously the fault of the captain/boat owner for not hiring an EMT to ride along.

(I write this in pseudo jest and do not in any way intend to make light of the gentleman's situation).
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

What's going on with the boat "Trophy"? They were supposed to bring one to the dock, too.

Was that the aforementioned dq'd fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Island Hunter View Post
    Makes you think about what else you should have on an offshore boat on top of the usual safety gear. Aspirin, epi pen, etc.
    They had the man on oxygen and hooked up to a defibrillator

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Why are people hating on the CG for not having a chopper hovering over the fishing grounds?

It is obviously the fault of the captain/boat owner for not hiring an EMT to ride along.

(I write this in pseudo jest and do not in any way intend to make light of the gentleman's situation).
    i agree with you.. but damn theres certain things that you cant be prepared for... at a minimun the folks need to learn how to keep a stroke vicitim stable until recuse is available.. 250+/- mph no traffic minimal winds and it takes you 2 hours to get to the victim... theres got to be more to the story...

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Spoke to a friend here at the hospital to get my facts in order, if you can get to the hospital within 3 hours there is a chance you can use clot busting drugs (TPA) and potentially recover completely from a stroke. If it was outside this window, you can't use it. Apparantly in certain situations 4-5 hours is acecptable for some medications, but that depends on many factors and I am not aware of any of that.

I won't pass judgement either because our Coast Guard and emergency responders are true heroes and who knows what was going on but if that was my family member I would be asking some serious questions. An hour quicker could potentially make all the difference.
    If you get to the RIGHT hospital outside of the tPA window, there is still a treatment option. Mechanical thrombectomy. The only hospitals in SC that offer this option are MUSC, Richland, and Lexington. If anyone you know has a stroke, ask that they be transferred to one of these hospitals if the stroke is significant and they cannot be given tPA. If they get tPA and do not improve, they can be still potentially be treated with mechanical thrombectomy if they arrive ASAP (generally within 8 hours, but in some cases physicians extend the window).
    Carla Dee

Good Info CD!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by UMTduckhead View Post
    i agree with you.. but damn theres certain things that you cant be prepared for... at a minimun the folks need to learn how to keep a stroke vicitim stable until recuse is available.. 250+/- mph no traffic minimal winds and it takes you 2 hours to get to the victim... theres got to be more to the story...
    I am sure the story will come out.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    They had the man on oxygen and hooked up to a defibrillator

That's good to hear. Just saying you never know what is going to happen out on the ocean, and I'm gonna add some stuff to my bag I usually take.

So lemme see if I'm following along here; everyone wants to know WTF is up with the CG taking so long to get there, a CG Senior Chief explains all you need to know, it gets ignored, and now y'all are back to wanting to know WTF is up with the CG taking so long to get there......am I up to speed?
    Last edited by Tater; 06-13-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Pretty much does sum it up Tater.

CG does not get nearly enough credit for the lives they save and services they provide.

Just my .02 though.
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Not to make light of it either, but did anyone else hear about the one on Tuesday morning? Off Charleston 30 miles offshore when I heard it on the radio.

they could of dropped the ball....no organization is perfect, but i'll wait until the story comes out prior to getting all worked up about them allegedly dropping the ball by www experts.
    by the way, no CG helicopter can make 250mph, even with a 90kt tailwind. those HH65's you see buzzing around here have a cruise speed around 105kts. they have HH60s up there...not sure but maybe 140? how far from eliz city to offshore morehead?
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Prayers to the Duffies. They are nice folks. Hell I was wearing a Billfisher visor today, hate to hear it.
    cut\'em