Thread: (TIL) How To Tell A Shrimp From A Prawn

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default (TIL) How To Tell A Shrimp From A Prawn

(TIL) = Today I Learned

Shrimp or Prawn?

There is often confusion regarding the difference between a shrimp and a prawn. Physically they look very similar but there is one sure way to tell them apart. In shrimps or carideans the side plate of the second segment of the abdomen overlaps the segments in front and behind. Prawns, most of which belong to the family Penaeidae of the group Dendrobranchiata, have all the abdominal side plates overlapping tile-like from the front. A more fundamental difference but one impossible to appreciate in a single specimen is that female prawns do not brood eggs but shed them into the currents where they develop independently. It would therefore make sense to call all member s of the Penaeidae "prawns" and members of the Caridean "shrimps" and this is what most Australians do. King prawns and banana prawns are names understood in this continent for penaeids sold frozen at the markets. The tiny shrimps bought in cans or froz en are imported carideans. Confusion arises when we hear Americans refer to prawns as "shrimp".

http://museumvictoria.com.au/crust/caribiol.html
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 06-11-2011 at 12:09 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

So, you're saying they're postponing the start date of the prawn baiting season this year?

Damn! Glad I didn't get sued for misrepresentation and false advertising when I was really selling PRAWNS and not SHRIMPS!!!!

Australians are upside down anyway!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.