Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1Gbps fiber for $70—in America? Yup.

Ask Phone Man, FTC has been rumored about offering FTH (fiber-tothe-home) here in Sumter for years. Not sure when they're actually gonna pull thru.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    as much as you want to buy.
    are yall far enough along yet to have a price sheet with speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    Why not, it's not like have to pay for other service's they have . if they just stick to one thing and one thing only and not get stupid they could do it I would think.
    The costs to run the fiber to each house is just nuts. Plus, have you ever priced big bandwidth before? Like over 100Mbs lets say? I guarantee it's more than $70...

agreed.... hdtv comes to mind.
    exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    The local TELCOs LEC in our area, namely AT&T for most of SC control that last mile along with the cable and power companies. The way most pulci utility regs are written they must pay/partner with someone who has right of way rights to make that happen. AT&T (my current ISP) continues to remove features and throttle my service. Hard to beleive they would nto give home users burst speeds above SLAs when it was available. Of course they are the ones that took newsgroups away and threaten to charge by bandwidth. It will take a strong wireless carrier to slow that 800 lb gorilla down. MG
    I'll go back to licking stamps, smoke signals, tin cans and string before I let AT&T in my house for any reason. They can go fuck themselves with an old party line rotary phone.

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    are yall far enough along yet to have a price sheet with speeds?
    there was one in the initial grant application, but its not official...... pricing wont be publicly available until we get some fiber in the ground... duncan chapel will most likely be the first area built and you will probably start seeing construction starting this fall.......

lead time on fiber is whats slowing things down now...... with all the stimulus construction going on now, the fiber manufacturers are catching hell keeping up...

i can say this, the prices i seen in the grant application will be VERY affordable. it WILL be cheaper than ANY option you have now, which is really only satelite, or wireless thorough your cell towers... but you will be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    The costs to run the fiber to each house is just nuts. Plus, have you ever priced big bandwidth before? Like over 100Mbs lets say? I guarantee it's more than $70...

in rural areas, 1000 dollars a subscriber is about what it costs for ftth. ALOT less in citys and highly populated areas tho.

in rural areas, 1000 dollars a subscriber is about what it costs for ftth. ALOT less in citys and highly populated areas tho.
    Even at that price, it's 14 months to return the installation cost. That's without paying for the actual bandwidth.

Even at that price, it's 14 months to return the installation cost. That's without paying for the actual bandwidth.

o yea... its expensive fo sho... but it pays my bills so i like it to be expensive....

They'll never get this past the good ol boys network here. Too many politics in place. We currently pay for higher priced services even though cheaper services exist. It's taken years for Clemson to get the light rail project off the ground. Telcom in SC is heavily regulated... Especially for colleges.

Bub 150 a year?

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Bub 150 a year?
    Yea, we're nationwide. Fairly large MPLS in place here.

i have been installing ftth for about 5yrs, in horry county, not just the beach, any new development gets fiber instead of copper

Quote Originally Posted by horry buck View Post
    i have been installing ftth for about 5yrs, in horry county, not just the beach, any new development gets fiber instead of copper
    What kinds of speeds / money are we talking with the service there?

10m/10m $44.95

Quote Originally Posted by horry buck View Post
    10m/10m $44.95
    Stretch one of them up to Greenville...

Arghhh... I hate the word MPLS. When it comes to any phrase that deals with MPLS, Metro-E, crossing a lata.... LOL.

Stretch one of them up to Greenville...
    id like one too...

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Northland Cable stops ¼ mile from my house. I called them and ask them why they stopped and when it was coming on down the road. They said they had no plans to run it here. They said it costs them $10,000 a mile to run the cable.

So I went with DSL from Sprint/Embarq/CenturyLink. My bill was $83 a month for 3 megs and a landline. When I decided I didn't need the landline, never used it cause we use cells, I called them up and told them I wanted Naked DSL. I had them drop my landline and boost my d-load to 10 megs. My bill is now $43 a month.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 06-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I have some insight into this...

First off...1Gig for $70 is a marketing ploy, is a technology trial, and is not sustainable in today's market. The reason is that bandwidth cost for the ISP is way too high. I'd bet the bank that the 1 Gig home owners are all sharing at most 2-3 Gigs. Best prices I have seen for 1Mbps for an ISP is $6/month. 1000 of those is $6000 spread across 200 folks? Math doesn't work, so they are really spreading it out.

However, 1 Gig to the home is a reality in the future and is already being deployed throughout the southeast over fiber. We've been doing it 4 years now. But that 1 gig you pay for is just a guarantee that you get 1 Gig point to point through the network. Once you leave the network you are in, you no longer have that guarantee of speed. You're only as fast as the networks you hit and the speed the server you're trying to hit subscribes to.

Cost to the provider is also not cut and dry. There is a fund established called the Universal Service fund that supplements the higher cost providers. This is part of where the funding originates from. If you don't spend it you don't get it. Depending on the # of subscribers it can be $1500-$3500 per sub. In some case all of that can be recovered. That is the benefit to the rural companies that have high costs. The big boys pay in the small ones take it out. This is what was created when AT&T was broken up.

1 Gig to the home will be in Orangeburg county shortly, that I can guarantee. It will not be free... ...and SCDuckers have to pay extra. We take checks, money orders, and especially cash if you would like it sooner than later....