Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle for Debordieu

Quote Originally Posted by jabiii View Post
    or if we had kept those stinking yankees from getting their filthy paws on all that ground in the first place?

couldn't of said it any better
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." The late great General Patton

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." General Robert E. Lee

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice."

Captain Sam's spit will be next. Great idea to build high $ homes in sand dunes.Go while you can.

Supreme Court threw up a bit of a stumbling block for Kiawah Development on Monday.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by bohica View Post
    Those places wouldn't exist without those stinking yankees.
    Explain?

He was out sick during the Reconstruction part of high school history...

Let me clarify. At the turn of the century, had wealthy northern industrialists not come down and bought, ( saved) most of the intact plantations you see today, they probably wouldn't exist. Very few properties are owned by their original owners, and most are fractions of their original size, owing to the fact that agriculture in the lowcountry was dying, and still is.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

He was out sick when they discussed how the yankees raped, pillaged, and stole under the guise of reconstruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    He was out sick during the Reconstruction part of high school history...
    Must have been. The Baruch family was from Camden. Berard Baruch's father was Doctor and served as a surgeon on Gen Robert E. Lee's staff in the Confederate Army. After the war it is said that was a member of the KKK. He was a jew in the Klan.

He was born in Camden, moved to NYC as a child. He is/was a rare case. His daughter Belle, was a yankee, and she is reponsible for saving the property.

Let me clarify. At the turn of the century, had wealthy northern industrialists not come down and bought, ( saved) most of the intact plantations you see today, they probably wouldn't exist. Very few properties are owned by their original owners, and most are fractions of their original size, owing to the fact that agriculture in the lowcountry was dying, and still is.

A man was ridding down the road one day. A truck pulls up beside him and shoots out all of his tires. The truck then took off down the road leaving the man with 4 flat tires. After an hour or so the truck that shot his tires out comes back down the road and fixes the mans tires charging him 1000.00. The man that had the flat tires thanked for him helping him and said you came by just in time to help me.....
    Last edited by santee11; 11-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.

He was born in Camden, moved to NYC as a child. He is/was a rare case. His daughter Belle, was a yankee, and she is reponsible for saving the property.
    Belle was a yankee? Mabe.... You could argue that point. Her Mom was a yankee, but If a cat has Kittens in the oven you don't call them biscuits..

Belle didn't buy the land in the first place.
    Last edited by santee11; 11-22-2011 at 12:12 PM.

she did not buy it in the first place, but she did buy it.

The Baruch family owns the land adjacent to Debordieu. They also own a small segment of the Deb Colony. The land was owned last by Wallace Pate (a family friend) was passed down through the Pates and now is privately owned. Wallace Pate brother or sister owned one side of highway 17 and Wallace owned the other, which is now Debordieu. My friends still live in that land adjacent from Deb.
    Last edited by rollincoal843; 11-22-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." The late great General Patton

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." General Robert E. Lee

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice."

Southern Land Northern Money. Bohica has a point. Do you know how hard it was for Archibald Rutledge to hold onto Hampton? Then the only way to hold onto the balance of what his family still owns was to deed the house and parkland to the State. My great grandfather's land is now a subdivision.
    Rollincoal-Yes, Lucille VANDERBILT Pate owns Arcadia.
    DILLIGAF

Rollincoal, DeBordieu was part of the same tract as Arcadia, Lulu's husband at the time, Wallace PATE developed the property. He did not physically own any of it. Incidentally, he was southern...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Southern Land Northern Money. Bohica has a point. Do you know how hard it was for Archibald Rutledge to hold onto Hampton? Then the only way to hold onto the balance of what his family still owns was to deed the house and parkland to the State. My great grandfather's land is now a subdivision.
    Rollincoal-Yes, Lucille VANDERBILT Pate owns Arcadia.
    I see Bohica's point, but yall are thinking in post war between the states terms..... Why was it so hard for Mr Rutledge to hold on to Hampton? Why did northern money buy southern land? Think about pre war between the states south carolina. SC was one of if not the richest state in the 13 colonies. Did we need northern money then to buy our land?

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I see Bohica's point, but yall are thinking in post war between the states terms..... Why was it so hard for Mr Rutledge to hold on to Hampton? Why did northern money buy southern land? Think about pre war between the states south carolina. SC was one of if not the richest state in the 13 colonies. Did we need northern money then to buy our land?
    No, in pre war we were buying lands in states to the west of us.

Santee, pre war=free labor. Rice without slaves back then was an impossibilty. I was in class through all this, I assure you. Having free labor in an agrarian society is how we were one of the richest states in the US.
    Archibald Rutledge was a teacher, when he returned to Hampton, it was in shambles. How was he going to hang on to all that land with no money to pay labor to grow rice?

The systematic destruction of our economy during, but especially after the war, directly led to the breakup of our larger family owned farms and plantations. It just so happened that duck hunting on the old coastal rice plantations was so good that they were preserved. One could easily counter that duck hunting had as much to do with the current state of these large areas as the northern carpetbagger ever did.