Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle for Debordieu

Default Battle for Debordieu

Battle for Debordieu Beach

By SAMMY FRETWELL - sfretwell@thestate.com

DEBORDIEU — The beach was dry and wide when Mary Risher Osteen’s family built a house at this high-end resort 30 years ago.

Now, waves routinely smack a seawall and the ocean often covers the beach in front of the family home. Hours before high tide this week, children walked in shin-deep water because the seashore has eroded so badly.

“The water used to be way out there, and it has just moved in,” Osteen said Tuesday, pointing beyond the breakers along Debordieu’s south end.

“No one would have built out into the water like this.’’

Susan Denham, a nutrients lab technician for the USC marine lab, places an automatic water sampler out in 1000 Acre Marsh as well as three other spots on the reserve to measure tidal cycles. 1,000 Acre Marsh is outside of the area believed to be impacted by the proposed groins at Debordieu Beach.
    - Kim Kim Foster-Tobin /kkfoster@thestate.com

Beach erosion is a major worry for many property owners at Debordieu, an exclusive gated community of more than 1,000 homes between Pawleys Island and Georgetown. But the community’s latest plan to address the problem — up for a hearing this morning — has launched a growing storm of scientific concern.

Not more than two miles from Debordieu is North Inlet, one of the nation’s cleanest tidal estuaries and a centerpiece of the University of South Carolina’s Baruch Marine Field Laboratory. North Inlet is so unspoiled that scientists say it is vital to the study of marine life in a pollution-free environment.

Since 1969, researchers have completed more than 650 studies associated with the Baruch lab, and today are actively engaged in some 70 research projects. The area is significant enough that North Inlet is one of just 27 national estuarine research reserves in the country.

So anything done at nearby Debordieu is of note to the Baruch
    Foundation, a non-profit organization that owns and protects the property for research by USC, Clemson and other universities.

In this case, Debordieu wants to build three sand-trapping devices in the ocean as part of an extensive beach restoration proposal. The sand-trapping devices, known as groins, are proposed to make the new beach renourishment project last longer at Debordieu and protect seaside homes valued at millions of dollars.

But while groins trap sand and help hold the beach in place above them, areas of the beach below groins — in this case, the Baruch property— often erode at faster rates, because they are starved for sand.

That worries the Baruch Foundation and environmental groups that have joined in a legal challenge against Debordieu’s beach restoration plan.

They are expected to tell the Department of Health and Environmental Control board this morning that the unspoiled beaches at North Inlet will erode more rapidly if the three groins are built. The DHEC board must decide whether to overrule a staff decision to allow the groins.

“We believe that the damage to the beachfront property to the south of the permitted project will be substantial,’’ according to a March 13 letter to DHEC from Brett D. Moore, whose coastal engineering company is helping the Baruch Foundation.

No one knows for sure how the groins could affect the North Inlet research area.

But groins and jetties on other parts of the Palmetto State’s coast have at times had impacts on beaches below them. Much of the erosion at Folly Beach, for instance, is blamed on jetties that keep Charleston Harbor open. In this case, the Debordieu groins will extend perpendicular to the beach about 300 feet offshore on the extreme south end of Debordieu’s oceanfront.

If erosion eats away at the North Inlet beach downstream and changes sand patterns, it could affect bird habitat, disrupt nesting areas for sea turtles and threaten salt marshes, critics say.

“The proposed groins would harm the sensitive and ecologically fragile North Inlet. … and have adverse impacts on the research being conducted,’’ according to a permit appeal by the S.C. Environmental Law Project.

Jim Morris, director of USC’s Baruch Institute, said losing sand at the North Inlet research area could hurt the ability of inlet salt marshes to maintain elevation as sea level rises. Sand is vital to the foundation of marshes, but without it, marshes can disappear. Salt marshes are important to the growth of baby crabs, fish and other young marine life.

Even the slightest impacts from development — in this case groins — could affect long-term research at North Inlet because the water is so clean. That’s a concern because the Baruch laboratory has gained plenty of national acclaim for its work over the years. One such project examined toxic algae in the late 1990s, when scientists across the country were trying to understand how algae were killing fish.

Overall, USC has for decades carefully monitored water quality and studied fish in the unspoiled inlet. If enough erosion occurs on North Inlet’s beach, for instance, it could cause fish to move away from certain areas that have been studied for years. In turn, the same fish would not be in those areas to compare to previous study periods.

The area on the Baruch property of most concern is a stretch of beach just below Debordieu that contains towering sand dunes and maritime forest. It extends for about two miles below the last house. At one point in the past, it was separated from Debordieu by an inlet that has since filled in naturally.

On a boat trip through North Inlet this week, USC researcher Erik Smith pointed out the dunes and dazzling white sand that ring the shoreline below Debordieu. Along the narrow strip of beach, aqua-colored water sparkled in the midday sun, as fish jumped and birds dove to gobble them up. Not far away, dolphins surfaced.

“It’s as pretty as you will see in this part of the country,’’ Smith said.

Ellison Smith, a lawyer for the Debordieu property owners, said he’s not worried about the groin project affecting North Inlet and the Baruch Foundation property. Past environmental disputes over dredging work at Debordieu haven’t hurt water quality on the Baruch property, he said.

Smith, who is not related to Erik Smith, said property owners on Debordieu’s south end need help, particularly those whose houses are behind the seawall that also protects Mary Osteen’s family beach home. About a dozen homes are on the beachfront behind the seawall, records show.

Beach erosion is nothing new in South Carolina, but it’s more significant at Debordieu’s lower end than at many other beaches. On parts of Debordieu, the erosion rate has reached about 13 feet annually in recent years. The average erosion rate for South Carolina is 1 to 3 feet per year, Ellison Smith said.

“Without the groins and renourishment, there’s no question about what will ultimately happen,’’ Ellison Smith said.” The seawall will fail. And all of the lots behind that seawall will start slumping off into the damned ocean.’’

Debordieu homeowners could drop the plan for groins and just renourish the beach, which would mollify the concerns of environmentalists. But that would force them to renourish the beach more often at greater expense, project boosters say. The groins are expected to make the beach renourishment project last eight to nine years, rather than five to six years. The project would start next year, records show.

That will help save money for property owners, some of whom are paying $72,000 apiece for the renourishment and groin project, which Ellison Smith said may cost $10 million to $12 million overall.

Osteen said the last thing anyone at Debordieu wants is to hurt the Baruch property.Many people in her community support scientific research by USC scientists and others, she said. She often takes walks down the beach from Debordieu to North Inlet.

“The research that goes on in North Inlet is excellent and wonderful and

I’m all about protecting our wildlife,’’ she said Tuesday. “But I also understand there are houses here. And people enjoy this beach on a regular basis.’’

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/09/1...#ixzz1OmIUZTRP

Ugg.

Thats a tough one...It seems that beach renourishment always does more damage than groins.

With that said...Why not extend groins all the way to the North jetty? Groins are a magnet for fish...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Not a tough one to me. If the owners want more beach, haul it in themselves. No dredging or groins. If you live on a river, ocean or a flood prone area, you should know what will eventually happen. No public funds should go towards private property. I know that they are not asking for public money but a lot of others have. Beach renourishment projects only help a few while costing us all and that's not right. A good friend of mine's family has a house on Debordieu but I'm still against it. You can't stop nature, only postpone it for a little while.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Not a tough one to me. If the owners want more beach, haul it in themselves. No dredging or groins. If you live on a river, ocean or a flood prone area, you should know what will eventually happen. No public funds should go towards private property. I know that they are not asking for public money but a lot of others have. Beach renourishment projects only help a few while costing us all and that's not right. A good friend of mine's family has a house on Debordieu but I'm still against it. You can't stop nature, only postpone it for a little while.
    well said.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

http://www.answers.com/topic/beach

Beaches undergo a cyclical migration of sand between the beach and the offshore zone caused by seasonal changes in the supply of sedimentary material and by the changes in intensity and direction of the approaching waves. The action of tides causes daily cycles of cut and fill. Waves approaching the shore obliquely move the sediment along the beach in a zigzag pattern called longshore transport. Since beaches are mobile deposits, they owe their existence to a constant replenishment of sand. In many coastal areas a deficiency in the supply of sand from human intervention or the natural changes in the coastal environment results in serious erosion problems. Artificial replenishment by pumping sand onto the beach from offshore or halting the moving sand from longshore drift by building breakwaters are two solutions to erosional problems.

Anything they do will be very costly and temporary.

From what I read, it seems the groins will only extend the period between re-nourishments by about 30%, while the damage done by the groins is unknown.

This in my eyes is no different than the homeowners on the ICW bitching about boat wakes and trying to get no wake zones put in or putting in their own fake one. You should know the issues you are going to have to deal with when you decide to build on the water and be prepared to deal with them.

You cant control mother nature. Beaches go through natural erosion/building-up stages. Back in the 50's and 60's our house at Edisto had 100 yards of dunes before reaching the beach. Now the beach is up to the house houses. Opposite is true for the houses on the estuary. People in Eddingsville learned their lesson about staying back from the beach.... looks like the other beachs with multi-million dollar houses would learn as well.

Just because you have the right to do something (purchase land), doesnt mean you dont have to live with the consequences (nature) of your actions. They knew there was a risk involved when they built the houses.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Who is going to help the owners at Hunting Island who have watched their homes being eaten by the ocean? They aren't quite million dollar home, but the situation is almost the same. Sad as hell too.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    You cant control mother nature. Beaches go through natural erosion/building-up stages. Back in the 50's and 60's our house at Edisto had 100 yards of dunes before reaching the beach. Now the beach is up to the house houses. Opposite is true for the houses on the estuary. People in Eddingsville learned their lesson about staying back from the beach.... looks like the other beachs with multi-million dollar houses would learn as well.

Just because you have the right to do something (purchase land), doesnt mean you dont have to live with the consequences (nature) of your actions. They knew there was a risk involved when they built the houses.

Yup.

Don't get my support. Tornado or Earthquake, yes. You have ocean front properties, you know the risk.

Littoral drift (also known as longshore drift or longshore transport) is a phenomenon where a river of sand flows up and down the coast seasonally. However, due to northeasters and other effects on the east coast, the primary flow of the drift is southerly. When you place groins or jetties that interrupt this flow, the area north of the structure will grow while the areas to the immediate south will erode. Look at an aerial photo of beach groins and you will see this effect. Or consider the erosion that has plagued Folly Beach since the addition of the Charleston Jetties.

This is probably the concern. Similar to stormwater concerns when developing a property, you should not be allowed to develop your property (even if it is to save it) in a manner that may adversely affect another property owner downstream.
    Last edited by Wad Shooter; 06-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.

JAB, I have worked on a case with Ellison before, and I know he is a duck hunter, but Isn't he also a family friend of yours?

Ellison's ex-wife is my cousin. Small world.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Wad Shooter View Post
    When you place groins or jetties that interrupt this flow, the area north of the structure will grow while the areas to the immediate south will erode.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

When we went to Pawley's back in the day, we always fished around 'em.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Wad Shooter View Post
    JAB, I have worked on a case with Ellison before, and I know he is a duck hunter, but Isn't he also a family friend of yours?
    One of his brothers is the best hunter/outdoorsman I've ever had the pleasure to meet and is the closest thing to a best friend I've ever had. I owe him more than I can ever repay him for teaching me how to hunt swamps and appreciate them for the natural beauty they provide.

He was recently published in South Carolina Wildlife (March/April 2011, p. 20).

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Just wanted to praise a good friend and brother of the attorney on this case.
    Last edited by badfaulkner; 06-09-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Looks like it got approved.

Wealthy beachfront landowners get DHEC go-ahead

By SAMMY FRETWELL - sfretwell@thestate.com

South Carolina’s environmental protection board sided with affluent seaside landowners Thursday in approving a beach restoration plan that critics say could hurt research at an acclaimed science laboratory near Georgetown.

In its first major decision under Gov. Nikki Haley, the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control board voted unanimously to let property owners in the exclusive Debordieu community build metal walls in the ocean to trap sand. Haley appointed the new board this year.

The walls, known as groins, are supposed to protect some $20 million in oceanfront property by keeping the beach at Debordieu from eroding as quickly as it has in the past. About 20 property owners, whose land is routinely hit by the sea as the beach washes away, would benefit directly from the proposal to renourish the south end of Debordieu and install three groins.

The tip of Debordieu Island can be seen from North Island, a nesting ground for Oyster Catchers, Royal Terns and Least terns. Wealthy landowners at Debordieu Beach are fighting to slow down erosion on their seashore, but their proposal is drawing fire from scientists, who say the erosion plan could damage a nationally known research area just down the coast. The Baruch research area is one of the nation's few pristine, undisturbed salt marsh systems.
    - Kim Kim Foster-Tobin /kkfoster@thestate.com

Experts hired by environmental groups and the Baruch Foundation said the plan might slow beach erosion at Debordieu, but it would undoubtedly increase erosion just downstream at North Inlet’s two-mile long beach. The Baruch Foundation owns and protects the North Inlet area for research by the University of South Carolina and other colleges.

Some 75 feet of beach could erode at North Inlet if the groins are installed at Debordieu, the DHEC board was told.

“What this case involves is competing property rights,’’ environmental lawyer Amy Armstrong said. “It boils down to the transfer of the risk from Debordieu onto the Baruch Foundation property.’’

Thursday’s vote upholds a DHEC staff decision to approve the groins.

Debordieu representatives said the project won’t hurt the North Inlet area. But Armstrong, who heads the S.C. Environmental Law Project, said she will appeal the decision.

The North Inlet research area, between Georgetown and Debordieu, is unusual because it is virtually pollution free. In addition to USC’s Baruch Marine Field Laboratory, North Inlet is also part of a federal estuarine research reserve. Any development upstream could affect years of scientific research, critics of the plan say. Since 1969, scientists working through the Baruch laboratory have completed more than 650 research projects and at least 70 are under way now.

Debordieu, the only developed area next to North Inlet, is a gated seaside community of more than 1,000 homes and lots between Georgetown and Pawleys Island. Many homes are valued at more than $1 million.

DHEC board members made their decision swiftly Thursday, soon after meeting privately for more than 30 minutes.

Haley, who has said she wants to help businesses by cutting red tape at DHEC, picked all new members for the agency board after taking office in January.

Allen Amsler, a Columbia construction company executive who chairs the board, said the Debordieu beach restoration plan met the legal criteria for a groin project. Amsler said he did not see a “detrimental effect’’ on Baruch’s beachfront downstream.

Amsler said the board’s private discussions involved “strictly legal questions of our attorney.’’ DHEC lawyer Carl Roberts said state law allows the board to deliberate permit appeals in closed session.

Ellison Smith, an attorney representing the Debordieu Colony Community Association, said the groin project will protect homes that are vital to Georgetown County. Debordieu produced some $10 million in county taxes last year, he said. The approximately 22 homes and lots in the “area of severe erosion” are valued at $20 million, Smith said.

At Debordieu, about a dozen of the imperiled homes are behind a seawall that juts far onto the beach at the community’s eroding south end. Waves routinely hit the wall.

Oceanfront landowner John L. Jackson, who lives in Lower Richland County, said no one wants to hurt the Baruch property. But he and a Debordieu neighbor, Lanning Risher of Camden, said they need help.

Smith agreed.

“Unless this project goes forward, the chances of anybody selling a piece of property along the beachfront of Debordieu is remote, in my opinion,’’ Smith said.

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/10/1...#ixzz1OsQMAPt2

Ellison Smith is the man! He can get anything approved when it comes to SCDHEC! Pretty good author too. A fine southern gentleman! I love to watch him work the court room with his deep lowcountry draw... I have had the pleasure of spending many weekend with him stalk hunting in the Savannah River swamps of Hampton and Allendale County during daylight hours and drinking brown liquor in the evenings. A woodsman and a gentleman!

Side note, If you got the resources, get it done is my opinion. I have not seen the design or plans, but would assume once a project as this one gets through all the tree huger regulators and special interest groups in SC it has been minimized and tweaked enough that the impacts to resources will be minimal and mitigated appropriately. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a financial bond or assurance associated with the permit that would stipulate if negative effects to the resources result from the project then they (applicant) will make it right...

Haley, who has said she wants to help businesses by cutting red tape at DHEC, picked all new members for the agency board after taking office in January. - this is huge! And it appears to be working. SCDHEC has been a broken agency for a long time. There has long been the need to stream line the permitting process. Now if she could do something with the federal regulators!
    Last edited by fro; 06-10-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post

Haley, who has said she wants to help businesses by cutting red tape at DHEC, picked all new members for the agency board after taking office in January. - this is huge! And it appears to be working. SCDHEC has been a broken agency for a long time. There has long been the need to stream line the permitting process. Now if she could do something with the federal regulators!
    Word