Thread: Skinny Topwater Reds

Default Skinny Topwater Reds

Had an awesome trip this am with a father, son, and uncle. Hit the water at 530 and ran to the first flat. Pulled up to a big school of redfish pushing water and chasing bait. Polled into position and told the father to cast straight out the bow of the boat. The spook hit the water and 3 twitches later it looked like someone had flushed a toilet. He was hooked up to his first red. The school exploded and went crazy. So we moved about 400 yds to where I knew there would be another school of fish and sure enough they were everywhere. They were chasing bait with their backs out of the water. The proceeded to hook up 8 or 10 more on topwater in less than a foot and a half of water. When the tide got up a ways we moved on and started fishing some mud minnows on a cork and on the bottom. Caught several trout and a few bluefish before calling it a day when it started getting hot and windy. I will post some pics and soon as they send them to me.

Fish caught on low tide rising, on various colors of spooks and skitterwalks.
    Last edited by Capt. Tom; 06-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

FLYROD!!!!!!!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Very nice. Was the spook a clear one?
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    FLYROD!!!!!!!

Would have been perfect for a fly fisherman. Today would have been even better.

Not a hint of wind for the first 2 hours this am and happy shallow water redfish everywhere!

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Nice! Great morning on the water I'm sure while I was in a dang meeting.

Nice trip Capt. There is nothing inshore that matches a hot topwater bite...

Quote Originally Posted by CYPRESNEAK View Post
    Nice trip Capt. There is nothing inshore that matches a hot topwater bite...
    Agreed, especially watching a fish with it's mouth on the bottom of it's head try to eat something off the surface.