Thread: Dolphin....7wt?

Default Dolphin....7wt?

goin offshore tomorrow and i wanna try to catch a peanut or smaller dolphin on the fly. i have an Orvis TLS 7wt, Sage 1830 series 7-9wt reel.

i know its really light for the phins, but i had my dad hold the tippet, and i walked down the street(i live on the corner) and stopped at the end and i still wasnt out of backing. id guesstimate the road to be 200 yds. (btw, i just got the reel and when the guy put the backing on the reel, he didnt tell me how much he put on, and i forgot to ask.)

and fly wise, im thinkin either pink and white, or green and yellow. ill probably tie up some flies with EP fiber and bucktail?

should i? im not planning on going for any big dolphin, but im fishing in a school club tournament and i wanna win the last tournament!
    Last edited by fowlshot; 05-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.

hope you have a smooth drag
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Won't know unless you go. Any streamers will work.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

the boys at work have been burning em up with blue and white skirts. They said they seem to hit that more than the others.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Thanks for the input. I got a blue and white, green and white, and a pink and white tied up.

Go for it. Be one hell of a ride for sure.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Match it and let her rip. Update when you get back.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You will be fine!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Totally onanything less than 10 lbs. Caught a 18lb phin couple years back on the 10wt with no problems. Actually whipped the fish in less thean 10 minutes. Truely, my most memorable catch ever!! Good luck.
    Last edited by Riggs; 06-05-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Will do. Chances are I won't even break out the fly rod, but ya never know.

Good luck....you should be using no less than a 10 wt cause you never know what is lurking below and can eat that fly before you can pull it away!
    Worst case scenario.....you break your rod!!!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yeah, I thought about that.

Anyway, we went yesterday and I took my fly rod, but we never found any floating structure holding fish that I could throw to. Saw a marlin, a pod of about 8 sailfish, a shark, and came home with 7 dolphin. Hooked up to a wahoo, but it slung the hook.
    Last edited by fowlshot; 05-22-2011 at 08:02 AM.