Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lab puppy sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Absolutely right.

Only the most meticulous and reputable breeders will let you take a pup home at 5 1/2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

This was her first litter and last. I don't know any breeder that give away puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Absolutely right.

Only the most meticulous and reputable breeders will let you take a pup home at 5 1/2 weeks.

We gotta puppy expert over here people.

Good to hear that the puppy made out well at the Vet. A good way to get the stool sample is to pick it up with a folded piece of copy paper and placed into a aluminum foil and folded so that it won't come out. Then put that into a zip lock bag to carry it to the Vet's office.
    HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    Coastline's Seal The Deal

Gunners Up Winger - Dealer for Georgia and South Carolina

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by SouthBryanLabs View Post
    Good to hear that the puppy made out well at the Vet. A good way to get the stool sample is to pick it up with a folded piece of copy paper and placed into a aluminum foil and folded so that it won't come out. Then put that into a zip lock bag to carry it to the Vet's office.

It is all liquid. So it would soak into the ground before I could get enough in the tube. Took him 3 times going just to get half an inch of it.
    Last edited by 308; 05-02-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Then you are going to have to keep him on some solid, non-porous flooring and collect the sample from there. It might be a bit messy to get the job done but you got to do it in order to collect the sample.
    HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    Coastline's Seal The Deal

Gunners Up Winger - Dealer for Georgia and South Carolina

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

Giardia, coccidia, parvo quicklyntioned, IF (and I mean IF) the vet finds no other problems, especially with a puppy that young, it could be drinking a lot more water than it needs causing loose/watery stools. It went suddenly from a all liquid food source to solid food plus water. Straining can account tor the blood. THIS IS WITH ALL OTHER THINGS RULED OUT and if vomiting starts, take back to vet and don't waste time...puppies can go down hill very quickly!
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH

Changed his food back to puppy chow, hate it but he is eating better. Once his stool turns solid I will ween him off of it. No word about his stool sample yet.

He was straining to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MsCedarSwampRetrievers View Post
    Giardia, coccidia, parvo quicklyntioned, IF (and I mean IF) the vet finds no other problems, especially with a puppy that young, it could be drinking a lot more water than it needs causing loose/watery stools.
    I have heard of this problem before.

If that's all it is, there is nothing to worry about.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Total diet change can def do it. The best thing is to change him gradually from what he was on to what you want him on. Start at 100% old stuff, then 75% old/25% new for a few days, 50/50 for a few, then 25/75, then all new food. When i'm weaning pups, I add plain yogurt (or vanilla if there's no plain) to their food, it seems to help. Also at 6 weeks, i'm usually still moistening the food, letting it soak long enough eat be soft outside, crunchy inside, drain the water off or they'll fill up on water and not eat.
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH