Thread: Hand Tied

Default Hand Tied

Anybody tie terrestrials or custom poppers?

I tried poppers once, it worked for pond bass, but wasn't very pretty.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

foam - pre-cut your bodies and it's kindergarten easy. Beats the crap out of stacking deer hair and shaving it in to the right body shape.

Also, once you tie a Gartside gurgler, you'll never mess with gluing popper bodies on hooks.
    Last edited by boondoggle; 04-25-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

i cant tie a popper worth a crap. but i can tie wooley buggers and clousers and streamers fairly well. atleast IMO. but i just started a year ago, tying my own flies.

Clousers are the only fly I can tie that look decent enough to show to others.
    ...But they are the simplest saltwater fly.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Haha, that's a good point. I tried a leftys deceiver and i was surprised at how well I did on it.

I got a kit when I was younger and dabbled with it for a few months. Tied a couple bass poppers and caught some fish on them. That was rewarding enough for me.

I can tie Clousers and Crease flies. My dad is a pretty good fly tier. He is slow but the finished product is really nice. He can tie Copper Johns, bead head nymphs, and prince nymphs, wooleybuggers, stimulators, Elkhair caddis. He takes lessons from some old Lutheran minister in Cola.