Thread: 5wt?

Default 5wt?

Since I'm moving to NM, I'm looking for a good ol' 9ft 5wt for some trout fishing. Leaning towards a TFO Professional. I've got a 7'6" 3wt in that model that I love, and they are hard to beat for 150 bucks(and a no questions asked lifetime warranty). Also looked at the new BPS .270 rod. Want to try to stay under 300 for rod, line, and reel...Any other suggestions out there?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

under 300 for all? Maybe TFO or Cabelas

Why don't you wait unitl you get to NM and see what kind of conditions you'll be fishing. I've used everything from a 3 - 7 weight fishing out west for trout. If a local fly shop (NM) can't hook you up for $300, you should go with Moatsy's advice and buy a Cabelas combo (and buy some gold, too).
    Last edited by boondoggle; 04-25-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: not enough coffee yet
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I've already got a 3wt and 2 8wt's, so I figured that the 5wt would be the next logical set-up. The only other rods I had looked at that would be just a little more would be the TFO BVK or the Sage Vantage. I know I could stay under 300 with a TFO Professional or a Cabelas LSI, just wondering if spending an extra 50-75 bucks would be worth it.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I would look at the LL bean double L set up. 325 for rod/reel/line. THe reel is a great setup for the price and if i was moving out west i would get a six weight

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    just wondering if spending an extra 50-75 bucks would be worth it.
    You get what you pay for. If you buy a combo, you are still in need of a line change, and if you like good line, that will set you back another Benjamin.

Buy what you can afford, but don't mince the fact that alot of the combos out there are put together of items that they cant sell alone.

you need a 5wt.

No, a six weight is better suited to western fishing.

I wouldn't say that Dook...the SA GPX line is pretty decent line. I want to get a line a little more suited to dries that that(some RIO is about 75 bucks), but it it still pretty good line.

Boon, why would you say a 6wt is better suited? More nymph/clouser fishing than dries?

my mistake, what combo did you list that will get you GPX mastery line>?

TFO Professional/Cabelas Three Forks or RLS reel/GPX line

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    TFO Professional/Cabelas Three Forks or RLS reel/GPX line
    I just read that from their site, what colors are they offering? I am stuck on greys and olives, it is probably in my head, but I have caught a ton more fish since going grey and green.

Good Luck, looks like a decent set up.

I think it's just neon green. The other line that I'm looking at is an Olive SA line, or some RIO which are all drab colors.

6 wt works for little stuff. It also handles double or triple nymph rigs along with hoppers, big stoneflies and streamers.

every fly/setup you will use out west will be bigger, and all the conditions will be bigger for the most part (wind/stream size). I think a six is your best bet

Kind of looking at the TFO Clousers now. The 5wt is a little stouter than normal 5wts, but still are said to throw dries pretty nice as well as heavier stuff.