Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04-17-11

Default 04-17-11

Originally posted by Phin
    [br]Left the house once Circle Hook and I got done squaring away first trolling trip of the year rigging and supplies. Pulled up to the gas station to fill up with corn and dino-derived octane. $3.59999999999999999 a gallon.

Went by Haddrells west ashley to get a box of squid as we waited for the wind at the buoy to die down some more. Kid in Haddrells stared out at Tigress and inquired how far we were going in concern/disbelief: "Are those 50 wides on there? Or 30's????" Maybe the disbelief was apparent in my own eyes. With all the wahoos and tunas caught last week, I was adequately inspired to do a dedicated tuna trip. This was a new challenge for me and the boat. No tuna have ever been caught on Tigress before- especially not in the afternoon. On top of that, the visible grouper and snapper equipment on the boat was abnormally sparse. There was either going to be something really wrong with this trip or something really right. There were a couple jigging reels and a bunch of trolling reels. It was like catching grouper and snapper is illegal or something.
    [:0]
    We finally slipped her into the creek, and then we picked our way thru the strategically located sailboat blockades.

Was able to make about 25 knots, and we came upon stuff busting the water in 120ft. Went over to check it out, and we found flipper playing. They were wallowing and flirting between the aerial displays.

Then we checked one another out.

Went on a little further and set our trap for the tuna. Halfway setting the trap, a blackfin got caught.

Figured it'd be a good afternoon, but nothing else bit for about 3 hours. Had 3 or 4 short strikes at that time and then when the sun hit the water we got 3 fish hooked up. 2 skipjacks and another blackfin.

A nice sized shark we'd seen a few times must have gotten one of the skippies (missing tail when we got him to the boat).
    Tried to jig for them, but no takers. Bright moon lit the water up nicely on the way in at 31 knots.

Good learning trip to work out kinks in the trolling setup. Not quite dolphin time yet. No fliers seen. One rip with decent weed mats blown into 130ft but no life on it. Fish caught in 150-200ft. 69-70 degree water.

---
    www.scmarine.org
    ---
    www.joinrfa.com
    ---
    Luke 8:22-25
    Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    We have a plan in place for Armageddon . That is part of the Premium Membership.

I'm glad you had a good time and got back. A "learning trip", I presume without another boat, and staying until dark, on a single engine boat that size is asking for trouble. Be smart, be safe. That's stupid as shit, in case you don't have anyone more experienced to tell you. Now you know.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

nice work splash.. atleast you made it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    I'm glad you had a good time and got back. A "learning trip", I presume without another boat, and staying until dark, on a single engine boat that size is asking for trouble. Be smart, be safe. That's stupid as shit, in case you don't have anyone more experienced to tell you. Now you know.
    This could be a long debate, and I'm not looking to get into one over this.

We are well aware of the risk factor and that it is highly elevated by being the only boat (there actually was another boat from charleston out there, not a buddy boat though), by being out at night, etc.

I'm highly confident in both the captains and my skill to run a boat in the open ocean, at dark, by ourselves, in a single engine center console. We didn't just throw some bait and tackle in the boat and say, lets go bo.....

I also know that everytime anybody ventures offshore there are risks.

Thank you for the advise though sir.
    We have a plan in place for Armageddon . That is part of the Premium Membership.

That's stupid as shit, in case you don't have anyone more experienced to tell you. Now you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Are you saying you wouldn't run a boat that you're confident in out in the ocean at night?

Please expand sir, being that you are the know all be all of this site......

Never mind him Splash, Fish knows everything and is never wrong......about anything. Good work and thanks for the update.
    Last edited by Riggs; 04-18-2011 at 08:10 PM.

You da man, Splash.
    And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Acts 10:13

Good deal, hoping to hit the blue water in the next week.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I don't personally know Phin..but I know of his exploits and I can assure u that if anyone is ever capable, he is one. U can blast away on alot of things but a good captain on a single engine is better than Joe blow gold chain in his 38 fountain and quads. A whole heap of charter boats only have single diesels.

Great Trip for sure. Now little noitall's. I got bout 21,000/hrs. Most on a single engine. Just be prepared and damn sho no what the weather is gonna do. I learned with a compass cause no GPS back then. Loran was just coming in it's on but back then it was A and B chain with a slave. 2 BIG boxes.
    The wife and I fished many a Monday 38/nm off the bell bouy outa MI many a time. No other boats around. Sounds to me like some of the younger yuppie's are wantabee's
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Glad you caught a few Splash...I've been out 50 miles in a 21' CC a few times. It's like several others have stated...if you pick the right day and the right people, along with proper safety equipment, everything should go fine. And after all, if the good Lord thinks that it's your time, he will take you...it doesn't matter whether you're pond fishing in a 15' jon boat or off shore in a big sporty boat. Good on you for taking advantage of the great weather we had on Sunday.
    Last edited by BrowningGold; 04-18-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

Good work Splash. I have gotten the balls to do a little near shore the past summer. 4-5 miles past the bouys in Charlston. 196 Key west single 150 yamaha. Pick your days is all I can say
    Go Tigers!!!

Dr Duck..didnt you tell me one time you won a kingfish tourny in a jon boat?

Smallest Boat it was fiberglass. 16.5/ft. You seen the pics and news clips. Drop by and refresh.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Yeah...I'll be up that way here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Splashdance View Post
    Are you saying you wouldn't run a boat that you're confident in out in the ocean at night?

Please expand sir, being that you are the know all be all of this site......
    Sure, I'll expand.

First, I'm not the guy who made the comment you should be worrying about. In the event you two peckerheads (yeah, I'm talkin to you too, Riggs) didn't notice, I said nothing. I was laughing at a previous post where someone bluntly explained to you that he thought what you did was stupid. It was funny.

And second, if you've got a problem with me laughing at another post, I recommend you take your sensitive little redneck piece of shit ass on outta here, cause there's way more where that came from.

Way, way more to be exact

Thats crazy...running boats at night. Its dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Sure, I'll expand.

First, I'm not the guy who made the comment you should be worrying about. In the event you two peckerheads (yeah, I'm talkin to you too, Riggs) didn't notice, I said nothing. I was laughing at a previous post where someone bluntly explained to you that he thought what you did was stupid. It was funny.

And second, if you've got a problem with me laughing at another post, I recommend you take your sensitive little redneck piece of shit ass on outta here, cause there's way more where that came from.

I clearly addressed his comments, and understand where he's coming from. I see no reason to worry over his comments.
    Last edited by Splashdance; 04-19-2011 at 09:17 AM.