Thread: Getting a lab next weekend

Default Getting a lab next weekend

Me and the gf are getting our lab next weekend. He will be 8 weeks once we get him, but can I get some advice for raising him in a condo? Thanks

wait till you get a back yard is the best advice i can offer. Labs need room to run
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Who gets the Lab when the gf is gone?

You are asking for trouble in a condo. I would wait until you have a yard for it to run. Labs have so much energy it will destory your condo.

I don't think she is leaving anytime soon, we are getting married in june. Her dad bought me lab, but if it doesn't work out I'll just keep him at my parents house in St. George.

trust me, wait till you have a yard. No need for another orphin lab out there. If your parents wanted a lab they would get one. once you pawn your dog off to them, they will never get the attention and love they are owed when its placed away from its owner.

I have over an acre fenced in for mine, and when we take him for a walk in the afternoon to the mailbox (1/2 mile to our mailbox) you think he has been in a crate all day. I don't think it's fair to you or the dog to have it in a condo. The only thing you can do is crate him for 8-10 hours a day. I've seen dogs like that, and they just don't appear "normal" to me. They all seem to have that "psychotic" look to them. JMO.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Quote Originally Posted by tbuckf150 View Post
    I don't think she is leaving anytime soon, we are getting married in june. Her dad bought me lab, but if it doesn't work out I'll just keep him at my parents house in St. George.
    If you bring a Lab into a condo, she'll more than likely leave you.

Thanks for the advice, I'll just pass on this one and wait until I can get a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    If you bring a Lab into a condo, she'll more than likely leave you.
    She's the one who wants to bring him. I'm the one who doesn't because I don't want to shut him up for 8hrs while I'm at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    You are asking for trouble in a condo. I would wait until you have a yard for it to run. Labs have so much energy it will destory your condo.

X2

Thanks for the advice, I'll just pass on this one and wait until I can get a yard.

Good move.

Steve.

thats the smartest comment from an 18 post memeber i have ever read

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    once you pawn your dog off to them, they will never get the attention and love they are owed when its placed away from its owner.
    Maybe true in some cases but not mine. I dropped my Lab off at my dad's house when I graduated college, because it was the best scenario at the time. (They live in the country, where she can run all day- I have been living in Cola/Camden for a couple years. Did not want to have to leave her shut up all day, and have no yard for her to run.)

The dog rides everywhere my dad goes in his truck and is totally spoiled now. She is right at my dad's side all the time, and will barely look at me anymore.

I plan to move back to the country as soon as I can, and my dad just might fight me over her now.

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    thats the smartest comment from an 18 post memeber i have ever read
    Don't give Tbuck too much credit....he is from across the swamp, but is marrying a good ole Providence girl, so that makes up for his shortcomings.

Having a lab in a condo is not ideal, but I did it when I was young, without any issues.

1. Crate train

2. You HAVE to work the dog REGULARLY
    It doesn't matter if you keep the dog in wide open spaces, they need mental and physical stimulation. If they're left to themselves, they'll lay around just like they're inside.