Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kansas heartache (really really long)

You should have used a Rage broadhead.

Hate to hear how it ended, but kudos for trying to wack one with the sticks and string.

Sounds just damn grueling... I can't imagine walking that much. You could have used a golf cart.

I have kilt two with the bow.

Here is my only comment (D'wayne don't count) Turkey killing is done with a SHOTGUN.

Sounds like a great hunt.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Bring one of these with you next year. On another note. Keep at it you'll get there.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJx1GU2Ph84[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Good story K. You got more "hunt" in during a weekend than many will get in a lifetime.

Sounds like you were looking for a frontal vs. a broadside shot? Care to elaborate on that one?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

May should take a "backup" scattergun next time....just in case.
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

I often wonder with 2ths poor game collecting skills why he ain't skinnier than he is.

Hate to hear that man. My brother had the same thing happen to him with the biggest bird of his life. He had actually picked it up and put it down to tag it and it ran off. Keep at it.

dang, riggs. that makes me feel better....a little.

stripa--i dont know much. i guess i am learning. i sure did have the pleasure of seeing a LOT of turkeys last week. plenty of chances in shotgun range. plenty of spitting and drumming. i got to draw on some hens and look at vitals and all that. talking to the guy i hunt with (and he has killed lots with the bow), it seems to be better to have a turkey facing you or away from you. I am sure hardcore bow hunters might be able to tell me differently, but the key is hitting vitals. the backbone is pretty vital. also, the shot needs to be lower than many would expect. i guess it just frames a better sight picture than broadside, IMHO. its tough hunting. should you shoot a turkey in full strut? i dont know how you couldn't with the bow and I am not afraid of that shot. the turkey i maimed didnt come out of strut and wasnt planning to. you aint got all day. take the shot when you can, but i prefer facing to or away....but i might be wrong. its a work in progress, for sure.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I often wonder with 2ths poor game collecting skills why he ain't skinnier than he is.
    Just Damn!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Publix
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Budro ran an arrow right up one's bung hole one day and killed him DRT. I would take that shot but not sure about the facing shot. I would probably pull a Squatty and shoot the beard off.

hey riggs at least you would have more of a trophy than 2th got
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

"Hit'm high, watch'm die. Hit'm low, watch'm go" is what the Double Bull boys said and they sure killed a truck load of'em.

I would guess frontal would be lowest percentage shot but you can kill one at any angle if you hit him right. I think broadside probably gives you more margin for error.

Awesome hunt though and I sure as hell ain't got it licked.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    hey riggs at least you would have more of a trophy than 2th got

Awwe damn.....the hits just keep coming!

my motto has always been, "when in doubt shoot'em again and if they twitch shoot'em again," of course that is with everything i hunt.

I bet that sucker had 2" spurs. Proly banded too.

FACING AWAY
    A wild turkey facing away from your setup is ideal for two reasons. First, you can draw your bow with less risk of being busted. Do not let a twisted tailfan alter your aiming point. An arrow in this area can sever the turkey’s spine, immobilizing and killing the bird.
    BROADSIDE
    A broadhead in either the wing butt or the hip joint will immobilize the turkey. Be careful that your shot does not hit too far forward and penetrate the tough breast plate and meat, or too far back, slicing through the intestines.
    FACING TOWARDS
    A broadhead in either the wing butt or the hip joint will immobilize the turkey. Be careful that your shot does not hit too far forward and penetrate the tough breast plate and meat, or too far back, slicing through the intestines.

stripa-interesting to hear that double bull quote about shooting high. that just goes against what i have been told. i will have to research it. the "guts" are low. maybe they want to hit spine? not sure but i am sure it pisses me off. i feel like i did everything right just being able to get a shot off....and the shot was where i was aiming...and the bird was dying...and then it was flying...and then it was dying again...and then it was 2 steps away....then it was flying again.

fuckballs. i am still pissed. I want revenge. I want closure.