Thread: 1 year old dog

Default 1 year old dog

I have a question. I just got a dog that is one year old. I've never started a dog this old so my question is is it to late to train him to hunt? I don't mind putting in the time but don't really?want to if all he will ever be is a pet. He has been obedience trained already. All the materials i have say 6 months. Is there any trainers out there that would
    work with a dog at this age. What's some opinions of some of the experts on here? If its too late its just as well because my kids have already fallen in love with him so ill keep him as a pet either way.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Not an expert at all but i do know a number of LE K9 programs do not start a dog til after a year old- i would say it would depend on the particular dog rather than its age...
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Our Members include Doctors, lawyers, and an honest to God Indian Chief Mechanics, students, lawmakers, lawbreakers, professional athletes, bums, and God help us Government employees.

My best dog ever was a rescued Boykin that was about 2 1/2 when I got him. He had NO training prior to me getting him. He was a natural. Training was actually easier because he wanted to please. He traveled all over the country with me until he passed. I was also a LE K-9 handler and we rarely started a dog tracking and doing patrol work before age 12-18 months. So if he has a little drive, he'll do fine.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 04-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by DuvnDux View Post
    My best dog ever was a rescued Boykin that was about 2 1/2 when I got him. He had NO training prior to me getting him. He was a natural. Training was actually easier because he wanted to please. He traveled all over the country with me until he passed. I was also a LE K-9 handler and we rarely started a dog tracking and doing patrol work before age 12-18 months. So if he has a little drive, he'll do fine.
    exactly right. Its in the dog or its not. You can force a un motivated puppy into a half a dog. But a one year old that is driven is very trainable.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

If you've got the time and the dog has the desire, y'all should make a good team.

Pm Labs Will-Do. He should be able to help you out.

All of the above X2.

Steve.

Thanks guys. I guess now it's put up or shut up. I can handle that. Let's see what the outcome will be. I appreciate the posts'.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Make sure that you have plenty of patience and you will be fine.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm