Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: so i want to build a boat

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    DDS... That should do you just fine.

You will need nothing more between battery and control or control and motor.

Depending on the outputs of that controller, you may be getting more or less than what you actually need on the "in between gears", but on WOT you'll be just that, WOT. It should give you three even steps though.

if im not mistaken, there is some sort of circuit board in the head of that motor too. its been a while since i looked at it but im pretty sure there is. what would that be for?

the motor is a 55lb minkotta transom mount. i sold it to a buddy and he put it on a small boat for bowfishing. well when i sold it to him, the head of the motor was broken and electrical tape was holding it together. it still worked but it wasnt the least bit water tight. well he hit a log and him and the motor ended up in the water. it fried everthing in the head, but we rigged it up with a "hot foot"/"constant on-off switch, and it worked fine except that it only had two speeds (off and hold the fuck on)

he ended up buying a new motor, and eventually bought a new boat and didnt have a need for the new motor. a few weeks ago i got the new motor and the old motor back in a trade for a boat stereo system. now i just want to tinker and see if i cant make use out of both motors.

i plan on cutting the shaft down and pretty much copying the motor in the pic above, adding foot steering, and making this bitch in to a fishing mo-sheen. only problem is i have no way to control the speed on this old motor, and need something to slow it down/ speed it up.

if i can buy that 20 dollar switch and build me a small box to put it in, attatch a dial, wire it to the motor and be fishing, well the by golly thats what im gonna do....

and another kink is its gotta be portable. i want to be able to take it on and off easily for those lazy summer days when i just wanna float down the river a drink a little drank.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 05-11-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Sounds like you have a solid plan.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You shouldn't need any kind of circuitry (read electronics) in the head of that thing. The motor was probably originally set up electronically, but with that out of the way, you can now use your Minn Kota rheostat control to do, somewhat less efficiently, what the circuit board was doing before.

For a $20 try... why the fuck not right?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    You shouldn't need any kind of circuitry (read electronics) in the head of that thing. The motor was probably originally set up electronically, but with that out of the way, you can now use your Minn Kota rheostat control to do, somewhat less efficiently, what the circuit board was doing before.

For a $20 try... why the fuck not right?
    exactly what i was thinking.

thanks bb and turbo

word...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Damn you dds.

No you are going to have me looking for a busted up trolling motor and a rheostat again. Last time I did that, (just to replace the rheostat in my caimen boat) I swore I would just buy a whole new rig.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

i sent the guy that runs caimen boats an email asking him if he sold just the control switches for the motors and asked him a few questions about it.... here is his response.... just thought yall may be interested.

Hello,

Yes we do sell the control panels. This regular conversion panel mounts to the side of the boat and has a 5/2 switch and a rheostat to control the lower 2 speeds. I am assuming that your motor ran with speed control switch.
    If you Dad bought a digital motor with his boat that has the small hand control with just the one knob that controls forward and reverse, then he has the digital motor. This motor has the electronics built into the lower unit itself.
    We are in process of setting up a control panel that will convert a regular motor to digital control. We hope to have this available for sell in the upcoming weeks.

Let me know if the conversion panel is the one you need or if you'd like to wait for the digi control panel.

Thats right...analog and digital. That is what was so fricking complicated about mine.

i axed him how much dey costs. if its cheap i might try it, but i doubt it will be.... i will prolly end up with some rigged up shit that i piece together that will last me about 30 years.

Hmmmmmmm....

I'd go with the trolling motor guy on this one. I have to "digest" this for a while. I may come up with something good....
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

so pretty much what he is saying is the one he has for sale now is basically what i plan on trying to build. pretty much just a remote "control switch". however he is working on one that will allow you to digitally control an analog motor. which means it will have the electronics built into the control box so that you dont have 5 set speeds, but infinite control of speeds.

my electrician buddy also recommended a pwm (pulse width modulator)... but thats a whole notha storie.

Yeah... I think you're right DDS. That's why I wanted to "digest". I didn't understand what he was calling a digital and analog motor... If it's a DC motor and you introduce a battery source (read DC input), then you've got a running motor.

Your electrician buddy is spot on, but I promise that's over your head b/c I know it's over mine! There's all kinds of filtration needed to do what he's talking about and you've pretty much gotta build a custom board to control it.

You're looking to put a speed controller on your rig that you can fix if something happens... go with the rheostat style. If it burns up you replace. If you go the PWM road and you let the smoke outta that board, you're going to have to get your hands on components and a magnifying glass to repair... You're also going to need a solder station with vacuum and the like...

Go with what we talked about first to see whether or not it's something that works for you. If it doesn't work out then you can take another road and you've only got $20 invested...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

ten fo... thanks turbo.....

i thought the pwm thing was a little much....but it was coming from a "electrical engineer" that just graduated, so all that shit is still fresh in his head...

im gonna get that old motor out tonight, take it apart, make sure the motor still works, and if so, im gonna try the 20 dollar route and more than likely have all that i ever need.

its been a fun conversation today tho. haha

Good deal and good luck...

That really should be all that you need.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!