Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: so i want to build a boat

DDS, here are some pics of mine as I've been going. The biggest problem I have had so far was trying to bend the fir boards and screw them in by myself. I got it done, but a second set of hands would have made it a lot easier.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I built a Gator about 10 years ago. Still watertight. Did not want to use epoxy. Just Tightbond 2 and brass screws. Wood needs to breath. If I can do it anyone can.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

thanks for all the pics fellas......

got most of my wood this weekend. going with quater inch luan for the floor and sides, mainly because it was free. also, have my 1x2s ripped with the angle on them. the 1x2s were a little wet, so i didnt go any further. want to make sure the wood is dried out well before i start....

what kind of screws did yall use? i have heard brass are the best but not cheap, followed closely by galvanized.....

going to lowes tonight to get the rest of my materials... need screws, and some clamps, and since i dont own a belt sander, this will be my excuse to purchase one.

Dang you aren't waitin anytime are ya ?

I might drop by one day to look at your progress, I will call first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Stay away from Galvanized. Predrill your holes.

Stainless, or brass. Rig you up a steamer to bend your boards. A buddy used a length of 6" PVC and ran steam through it for his boards through. The steam "pot" was a warped pressure cooker he was able to bore a hole of of the lid, and pipe the steam through the pipe.

He busted a lot of strips trying to bend them to fit his curves....
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Fuck a belt sander...

Get you an air compressor (which will make your life a whole lot easier for a lot of projects) and then get you a good DA. The new little "jitter bug" style palm DA's are the shiz...

You'll be glad you did if you piddle around with your own stuff much.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    thanks for all the pics fellas......

got most of my wood this weekend. going with quater inch luan for the floor and sides, mainly because it was free. also, have my 1x2s ripped with the angle on them. the 1x2s were a little wet, so i didnt go any further. want to make sure the wood is dried out well before i start....

what kind of screws did yall use? i have heard brass are the best but not cheap, followed closely by galvanized.....

going to lowes tonight to get the rest of my materials... need screws, and some clamps, and since i dont own a belt sander, this will be my excuse to purchase one.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Fuck a belt sander...

Get you an air compressor (which will make your life a whole lot easier for a lot of projects) and then get you a good DA. The new little "jitter bug" style palm DA's are the shiz...

You'll be glad you did if you piddle around with your own stuff much.

Problem is is getting a compressor big enough to keep up with the DA.

But DDS if you want to use a DA I have a decent one you can borrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

I've got a 20gal that you can't outrun...

It was free. Had a burnt armature in the motor. Found a replacement motor on ebay for $35 and replaced. I still need to return the armature in the old one to keep for "one of dem days". Compressor runs like she's brand new.

Daddy's got an 80gal that you'll never... EVER... outrun. That's a $1800 rig though. I'll take the 20 gal for most projects. If I need more, I go see Daddy.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

One more thing...

If you get a DA, you'll be glad you did when it comes time to "finish" the fiberglass. You can run an 80 grit paper to get all the rough out of her. Get you a good sanding block, stick some 80 grit paper on there, get everything squared up and finish with 120 grit. When you paint it, you'll never know.

** One more plus for the compressor. You can spray your own quality paint and make her look like she's got a $1k paint job. **
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

grandfather in law has a huge air compressor, prolly 80 gallon.... just a half mile down the road...... might look into an air sander....

thanks.

I built a mostly fiberglass sneak boat many years ago. It had a solid wood transom and a plywood false floor but the rest of the hull was glass. I made a skeleton similar to a folboat and stretched glass cloth over it and resined it. The thing lasted for many years but the transom finally rotted. Wood under resin will get wet if you ever get any cracks and the wood will rot.

I decided that if I ever built another, I would shape a model out of surf board foam, glass it and pop a mold off of it. Then I would hollow out a cockpit in the model and finish it with glass and klegacell foam so it wouldn't go to waste.

If you build one, make sure to add some flotation somewhere because you will eventually swamp it.

I dont know about down your way, but up here Tractor Supply is much cheaper when it comes to buying screws, bolts, and nuts. You buy by the pound instead of each. Beats the heck out of Lowes and Home Depot every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jgdavis123 View Post
    I dont know about down your way, but up here Tractor Supply is much cheaper when it comes to buying screws, bolts, and nuts. You buy by the pound instead of each. Beats the heck out of Lowes and Home Depot every time.
    this...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

here are a few pics of my progress so far... i have only worked on this thing for two afternoons..... about 5 hours total....

put the chines on last night. i did it by myself, but its definitely a two man job. its hard to pull on the plywood, drill a hole, then put the screw in with only two hands.....
    one thing i did learn is that its best to let the plywood overhang the chine a tiny bit. then afterwards you can sand it smooth. this is what i thought would be the hardest part, and it wasnt bad at all.

took the pics before i sanded the edges......

also, for the transom, would it be better to use one piece of 3/4 in ch ply, or bolt and glue together two half inch pieces? ive got a whole sheet of half inch treated at the house, but i will have to go looking for a piece of 3/4.... i only need a small 14x14 piece so i hate to buy a hole sheet just for that.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 04-07-2011 at 07:52 AM.

I don't have an answer for your question - but I've seen Lowes & HD both sell 2'x2' pieces of 3/4" ply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    also, for the transom, would it be better to use one piece of 3/4 in ch ply, or bolt and glue together two half inch pieces? ive got a whole sheet of half inch treated at the house, but i will have to go looking for a piece of 3/4.... i only need a small 14x14 piece so i hate to buy a hole sheet just for that.
    Just cut two pieces of the 1/2" glue it...

Don't hold back on the glue. Let it ooze out all over the place. Put clamps all around and something with some weight in the middle. Let it sit for a day or so and you'll be just fine.

I definitely wouldn't buy a sheet of 3/4" for this project.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

2*1/2" =1"

1*3/4"= 3/4"

1">3/4"

Glue it down good, and clamp it until dry.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrother View Post
    2*1/2" =1"

1*3/4"= 3/4"

1">3/4"

glue it down good, and clamp it until dry.

thats what i was thinking.

so far you have a nice surfboard. I like the progress.
    easy livin'