Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: so i want to build a boat

DDS as coon hunter said, dad built one a while back, and I helped him some. I don't really remember much about it, but the materials were not a whole lot. We ended up spending more on a fancy hunter green marine paint and stain than we did on wood, etc. It is sharp though....been in a pond a couple times, but has spent 95% of its life sitting in our shop. Don't exactly remember which model Gator it is, I know it has 2 bench seats.

I will talk to dad for some tips in the next few days and get back with you. I will try and get a few pictures of it this weekend also.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 03-31-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Fiberglassing the inside would definitely make the boat last longer and improve water tight security; however, it could add a good deal of weight, depending on the thickness of the material. Slapping a little resin on the wood inside of the boat won't hurt. Get your resin through your family members too, they will definitely be able to get you better prices than retail. They mark that shit up worse than gasoline.

Real easy boat to build. You can spend a fortune on marine grade material or make one "cheap". I liked lighter boats and always used 1/4" B/C grade exterior plywood. Odds are good you'll overbuild the first one and glass seams, floor, everything below water level. Then she'll weigh in at 110 lbs and you'll be kicking yourself later wrestling the beast out of the truck. Cajuns build pirogues, no tape, no glass or resin, sealer, couple of coats of paint and they work fine for years.

I've built 2 pirogues, 1 gator and 1 modified gator style with a wider transom. I modded it to run a 2.5 hp on the back. My lightest pirogue was 42 lbs. The last boat was a great one, carried a load and then was stolen off a pond at our hunt club.

PM me if you got a question bro.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Dude, go to www.thehulltruth.com and click on the boat building forum. Everything is on there that you are looking for, guys asking and answering questions and putting up pics as they are building. There is a titty posting forum on there too, down at the bottom called "The Sandbar"......now I know you will visit the site along with all the other pervs reading this

Rick
    Last edited by ecu1984; 03-30-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    how hard will this be realistically? i have worked with wood all my life.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

I built one a few weeks ago it wasn't bad at all just take your time and follow the plans I used ac grade ply and fir boards I also fiberglassed the seams on the bottom and put the resin over the bottom and sides then painted it weighs 65lbs it tracks good in water easy to paddle I posted pics in the boat and bild forum a few weeks ago

Also make sure you sand all seams good and try to get a tight fit use quality wood glue and use a lot I only used the fiber glass on exterior seems 4" tape from auto parts store no leaks and just resin on the bottom gives it a good protective layer

DDS-Don't know if you remembered the one that choco-lab built, but I was very impressed with it and decided if I ever built one, it would be that one. I really like the way he camo'd it with t-shirt material. Here's the thread:

http://www.scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41346

Good luck with the build.

I’m building one of the gator models now. Plans are pretty simple. I made a few small modifications of my own, but not too hard to cipher over all. Right now I got about $60.00 in materials, including sandpaper and other misc bullshit with a total of about 20 to 24 hours worth of work in it. It’s sanded and ready for fiberglass. Just waiting on some decent weather and warm temps to finish her up.

Quote Originally Posted by hhickman View Post
    I’m building one of the gator models now. Plans are pretty simple. I made a few small modifications of my own, but not too hard to cipher over all. Right now I got about $60.00 in materials, including sandpaper and other misc bullshit with a total of about 20 to 24 hours worth of work in it. It’s sanded and ready for fiberglass. Just waiting on some decent weather and warm temps to finish her up.

what kind of wood did you use and where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    DDS-Don't know if you remembered the one that choco-lab built, but I was very impressed with it and decided if I ever built one, it would be that one. I really like the way he camo'd it with t-shirt material. Here's the thread:

http://www.scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41346

Good luck with the build.

dang, i like that camo too.... i will have to get intouch with him when i get to that step and see how he did it... im pretty sure i have enough camo material to cover my boat.... really thin material used to make those camo bed comforters...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Real easy boat to build. You can spend a fortune on marine grade material or make one "cheap". I liked lighter boats and always used 1/4" B/C grade exterior plywood. Odds are good you'll overbuild the first one and glass seams, floor, everything below water level. Then she'll weigh in at 110 lbs and you'll be kicking yourself later wrestling the beast out of the truck. Cajuns build pirogues, no tape, no glass or resin, sealer, couple of coats of paint and they work fine for years.

I've built 2 pirogues, 1 gator and 1 modified gator style with a wider transom. I modded it to run a 2.5 hp on the back. My lightest pirogue was 42 lbs. The last boat was a great one, carried a load and then was stolen off a pond at our hunt club.

PM me if you got a question bro.
    i will be getting in touch with you if i need assistance... sounds like you know what you are doing...

good news, just talked to my uncle about fiberglass. "dont buy any resin or glass! its expensive, i got plenty at the house you can have"

can he get me a deal when I start mine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

he said i should make a mold, and then make several boats out of just fiberglass....but hes thinking like a fiberglasser, im thinkin like a person wanting a boat fiberglassed. haha

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    what kind of wood did you use and where did you get it?
    I used regular 3/8 plywood from Lowes. I'm planning on glassing the whole boat so it will be completely sealed when done. I'll get one of my computer savvy friends to help me post some pics up for ya when I get back to work this weekend.
    Last edited by hhickman; 03-31-2011 at 03:12 PM.

that would be great hickman... thanks

DDS, There’s plenty of reading on these two forums.
    Along with all the help above you’ll be fine.

http://www.gatorboats.com/forum3/
    http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/

Here are some pictures of the one I finished last year. It’s not a gator but close.

Proof that it floats.

And fish in the boat. To get it to smell right.
    There's a fine line between HARDCORE AND IGNORANCE!

I am just starting a "Croc" from gatorboats.com (11'5"). Right now I am still measuring out and gettin my lines right. Once cut out I am planing to glue and screw all corners and seams, fillet all inner seams and joints, epoxy the interior, run a layer of tape / epoxy on the exteriror corners, and then drape the entire outside with 6oz cloth to seal the deal. I am using epoxy as well as regular ACX ply with a little fir thrown in there per gatorboat's specs.
    I am doing this because I really want to see if I want to pursue a larger rig in the future.

Flatwoods,
    Looks good!

Did you epoxy the inside and paint the out?