Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so i want to build a boat

Default so i want to build a boat

thinking about something like the gator.....well, alot like the gator... how hard will this be realistically? i have worked with wood all my life. i would rate my carpentry skills about a 7 out of 10..... i dont think the woodworking portion would be that big of a challenge, but im unsure about the fiberglass portion. i have never worked with fiberglass a day in my life. i have been doing a little reasearch and have become overwhelmed by the thousands of types of fiberglass, resins, epoxy resins, etc. what are the other options other than fiberglass? i was thinking about something like a spray in bedliner kit for the outside. or do i need the fiberglass for the strength?

looking for any tips from people in the know.

any online resources out there that i can check out?

also, how hard are the gator plans to follow?

and how much would materials realistically cost to build a gator?

thanks....

also looking for advice on wood selection.......

Don't use the spray in bedliner.....it will add a ridiculous amount of unnecessary and undesired weight.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

You should visit the Wooden Boat Show in Gtown, those fellows know their stuff. Some of them are absolute works of art too. I had some of the brochures from the last one, I'll see if they're still lying around but the wife cleaned up last week and they might have been trashed. One of them had types of wood, vendors, the builder's number and website etc.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Fiberglass is easy. Avoid the bubbles and mind the cook times.

It can get expensive if you get into the epoxies, but for your applications a simple hardware store resin will work just fine.

Dont over complicate, make a couple of small test runs...

Pro tip: cut strips out for your joints first, wet the wood, lay the glass, then pour the resin on the glass. Use a squeegee to spread, dont press hard, or the glass will get "bubbly" and bubbly is bad.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

ive got two jon boats, a kayak, and a canoe.... but i have wanted to make a boat for years.....more for the accomplishment of doing it than anything... this boat will be used mostly for paddling down the edisto river in the summer, throwin a beetle spin, or just paddlin and drinkin beer.... so saying that, i think the cheaper the better... i dont want to spend 300 dollars on it if i can do it for 150.... but i dont want it to rot in two years, if i coulda spent 3 more hours and another hundred bucks and make it last for 15

kinda like the duckers making their own decoys, much cheaper to buy new ones, but not near as fun...
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 03-30-2011 at 01:09 PM.

DDS, if you do decide to tackle this please let me know....I would be interested in building one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    DDS, if you do decide to tackle this please let me know....I would be interested in building one myself.
    o its gonna happen....as soon as i kill my 5th turkey i will be starting.. i have access to the gator boat plans... right now im just trying to research everything and get my materials lined up.... gotta figure out what kind of wood i need first thing... seems like everywhere recommends something different.... then gotta get a handle around what kind of fiberglass/resin to use...

i figure i can get the boat itself put together in a weekend or two..... after that a few weekends of finishing and fiberglass and ill be floatin.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Is that a stitch n glue boat or not. Glen-L is a pretty good site for the epoxy and plans for different boats. In summerville, we had to get materials from Berlin G, and you do pay for it but it turns out a nice product. Been a while since I have fooled with it but would be glad to pass along a contact that would be able to help a buit I think.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

the materials are all listed on the plans Adam. Its just regular ol plywood.

PS the email is on it's way
    Last edited by firemedic; 03-30-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

DDS, I will send ProvidenceSwamper a pm and make sure he sees this. He and his dad Danny, who I beleive you know, built one a few years back. That thing is flawless It is right in Danny's shop in Providence I am sure he would be happy for you to come take a look at it and run you through the process.

I have helped a buddy of mine build a strip boat before and that is very, very detailed, but fairly straight forward if you have something to steam the wood with.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by coon hunter View Post
    DDS, I will send ProvidenceSwamper a pm and make sure he sees this. He and his dad Danny, who I beleive you know, built one a few years back. That thing is flawless It is right in Danny's shop in Providence I am sure he would be happy for you to come take a look at it and run you through the process.
    cool, i think i read about their boat while searching some old posts on here....

Don't buy your resin from a hardware store. You'll end up buying tons of little quarts and paying way too much. You need at least five gallons looking at that picture. PM me when you start searching for resin.

Quote Originally Posted by bomo View Post
    Don't buy your resin from a hardware store. You'll end up buying tons of little quarts and paying way too much. You need at least five gallons looking at that picture. PM me when you start searching for resin.
    5 gallons? really? i didnt think it would take near that much... boat is only 11 foot long.

I built an 8 foot boat and it took 4.8 gallons. That being said, the boat was pure fiberglass no plywood base. You'll still need a bunch though. It goes quick.

ten fo....... im not sure if i am going to fiberglass the inside..... would it be smart to just apply a layer of resin to the inside right on top of the wood?

i have a few people in my family that work with fiberglass for a living. im hoping they will be able to supply me with my fiberglass needs when time comes...

At least tape all of the seems on the inside. resin the rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    At least tape all of the seems on the inside. resin the rest

thats what i was thinking