Thread: Thinking of getting a Lab

Default Thinking of getting a Lab

A lady I use to work with, Lab is having puppies today. I was thinking of getting one whenever they are ready. The only thing I am not sure of is the amount of room they need to run around. We have about an acre to an acre & a half piece of land. We have a 2 year old boy and a 5 month of baby girl, I know Labs love kids.

I wanted to get one for hunting also for the family. What are y'all take on this? Also, How are they with other animals, we have dogs roaming around neighborhood.

You have plenty of room. Like any other dog, socialize them when they are young and they will be fine around other dogs. Set strict rules early and often about their behavior and "space" near the lil girl.

I've got a 2 year old girl and a 15 week old lab. They love each other to death. If i throw the bumper for the pup, she will bring it only to me unless paylen is there and then she goes to her. Also, i've got a 1 acre fenced in area that used to be for horses. It has a small barn in the middle with 2 stalls and that is where she stays. Has been working fine for me. Should for you also.
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

You have plenty of room. Just remember that a puppy loves to chew on anything. That includes kids.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    You have plenty of room. Just remember that a puppy loves to chew on anything. That includes kids.
    Yeah, I hate to go through the puppy stage.

Little girl will have a great friend. Go for it!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Just keep in mind, fencing in a half acre and throwing the dog in there doesn't mean they'll get all the exercise in they need. They're great dogs and do well with kids.

Follow the other's advice and you should be fine. Good luck and buy them a nylabone to chew on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Just keep in mind, fencing in a half acre and throwing the dog in there doesn't mean they'll get all the exercise in they need. They're great dogs and do well with kids.

Follow the other's advice and you should be fine. Good luck and buy them a nylabone to chew on.
    Take both of them to a swim'n hole this summer and teach them to swim. Just throw a stick a foot or two out in the shallows and tell both of them to "fetch". Nylabones work great for both pups and kids.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

They are great dogs. Take mine every where. We only have .5 acres and he seems to love the space. Still take him on bike rides around the neighborhood to keep him in shape. Go for it.

Yeah of course, he wouldn't spend his life in the yard. I would take him to ponds and let him excerise, and the hunting club to run around.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft