Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer rifle

Quote Originally Posted by BREAK'N WINGS View Post
    Something about the Ruger M77 that impresses me..
    Mauser 98 and the price tag probably.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have 2 of the cheap Wby Vanguards. One in 3006, the other in 7mm-08. Both shoot less than 1 MOA. They even sell them at Wong Mart. Under $500.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Quote Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
    I have 2 of the cheap Wby Vanguards. One in 3006, the other in 7mm-08. Both shoot less than 1 MOA. They even sell them at Wong Mart. Under $500.
    Howa used to make the Weatherbys. SKB may have made their shotguns at one time.

Something about the Ruger M77 that impresses me..
    Rugers have a bad rap from some barrels that were produced by an outside vendor some time back. New ones are in house.

You get a set of rings with them so that saves a buck or two. They are hunting rifles. Not target except for their target model which is good for long range hunting.

One good way to make a Ruger better, and a lot of other guns too, is to put a new trigger in it.

howa still makes all the actions for weatherby rifles. break'n you need to take a look at the howa's. I have rifles from savage, remington, t/c, and winchester. but since i've bought the howa thats what i reach for every time i take a rifle to the woods.
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
    Rugers have a bad rap from some barrels that were produced by an outside vendor some time back. New ones are in house.

You get a set of rings with them so that saves a buck or two. They are hunting rifles. Not target except for their target model which is good for long range hunting.

One good way to make a Ruger better, and a lot of other guns too, is to put a new trigger in it.
    Shot plenty of new ones and I can tell you they are second rate in the accuracy department. Some will shoot quite well, but it is a crap shoot.......and that is what a lot of them shoot like. If you have one that consistently shoots good (.5-.7MOA or better)......fine.....enjoy it, but realize that you have an unusual one. The target ones do usually shoot pretty well though.

If you want a M77 for reasons other than accuracy, have at it, but day in and day out, just know that they won't shoot with a Savage or a Remington.

One of my best friends was a Rugeroholic, until we started shooting a bit. He now shoots a Remington with loads that I worked up for him. This guy is a steely eyed killer, but he told me a while back, that he now has the confidence to take shots that he would have never considered with his Rugers.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

make & model would be helpful.

Tikka T3 Lite in 30'06 or .270Win should fit the bill nicely. Comes equipped with rings so you can mount your old scope, boresight it and take a box of shells to sight it in in mere minutes.

Nice factory trigger on these guns, too.

Good luck!!!

If I was on a tight budget this is what I would do:

I'd call pawn shops and find a very well used Savage 110, the uglier the better as long as the bore checks out. My goal would be to get it for $250 or less. You are most likely to find a beater in 30-06 or 270 since there are a ton on them out there and honestly it doesn't matter which one you choose. Then I would go on ebay or gunbroker and look for a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40mm scope, you should be able to get one for $200. Mount it in Talley's Lightweight low one piece rings/bases for under $50.

That would be a solid killin' rig for under $500.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 04-27-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post

I'd call pawn shops and find a very well used Savage 110, the uglier the better as long as the bore checks out. My goal would be to get it for $250 or less. You are most likely to find a beater in 30-06 or 270 since there are a ton on them out there and honestly it doesn't matter which one you choose. Then I would go on ebay or gunbroker and look for a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40mm scope, you should be able to get one for $200. Mount it in Talley's Lightweight low one piece rings/bases for under $50.

Dang, I got something that fits that bill. I'm gonna have to set up a TP account.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Another Howa 1500 hunter here. Get an accutrigger model if you go Savage.
    " If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post

Does the 110 have the "Model 70" three position safety, Walt? I'm looking for a "safer" less expensive bolt action for a couple new hunters I'll be guiding and my BLR can be hard for a newbie to let the hammer down without the gun going off.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Walnut, Blued Steel, and .30-06.

If I were to get a non-Browning, it would be a Ruger M77 or a No. 1.

But, you owe it to yourself to go to Dicks Sporting Goods and look for the Walnut-stocked Stainless A-bolt that Browning only sells through them. They are stunningly beautiful, accurate (n=1), and not terribly expensive.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Bad, the savage has the switch safety right behind the bolt on the top side of the grip. It's a trigger safety not a true bolt safety like a M70 or M98. Still very safe and easy to distinguish if it's on or not.