Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer rifle

Default shoppin' for a new rifle

Ok, I sold my rifle this past weekend and in the market for a new one. I had a Remington 710 chambered in a .270 - Now, I cannot decide what I should get as my next rifle. I still have my scope so I don't need to hold any money back for optics.

My price range is about $500
    Last edited by 308; 03-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.

“Got tight last night on absinthe and did knife tricks."-Ernest Hemingway

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duckkiller
    I was an athlete at Clemson, not a scholar.

make & model would be helpful.

I would look for a lightly used 700 or a Savage model 12. They are both shooters in a .308 and should be able to find one for around $500. Look for something in a light sporter type heavy barrel, you will get the most accuracy.
    “Got tight last night on absinthe and did knife tricks."-Ernest Hemingway

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duckkiller
    I was an athlete at Clemson, not a scholar.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

That is easy, but it will cost you a little bit more money. The answer is the Model 700 SPS stainless for about $569 at SW. Whatever you do, get stainless. You pick the caliber. Some favorites that come to mind are: 25-06, 7mm08, .308, .243, and .270 pretty much in that order.

I like heavy rifles and most of mine are, but they are limited in their application. A sporter weight will give you more versatility, but probably a little less accuracy potential, both inherent and from a shooters practical standpoint. If you are looking at getting multiple rifles at some point, definitely look at a heavy barrel Savage or Remington, but get something versatile first.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 03-16-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I have a 700 SPS in a .25-06 and it has quickly become my favorite rifle and round.

Accurate, low recoil and just kills the snot out of whatever the crosshairs are on when the trigger is squeezed.

break'n i'm with glenn on the .25-06! i would look at howa rifles. i have one in .25-06 and it is a tack driver!
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    break'n i'm with glenn on the .25-06! i would look at howa rifles. i have one in .25-06 and it is a tack driver!
    Have the same gun it does the trick.

Is that the Howa 1500?

Tikka T3 25-06.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I thought about a Tikka T3, but a $599.99 price tag steers me away a little.. Another thing is I will be putting the gun on a lay-away plan since I don't need the rifle right this moment and the only place I found that sells this gun local is Dick's Sporting Goods..

I kinda want to go away from the Remington rifles this time.. I owned the last one for about 5-6 years. I looked at the Ruger rifles, and after reading a few forums. The are pretty much hit or miss in the accuracy dept.
    Last edited by 308; 03-16-2011 at 05:58 PM.

yes howa 1500. where you from break'n? if you want to come shoot mine your more than welcome to give it a try. I have black synthetic/stainless. got it from ron cox up in greenville.
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

I am in Florence - a little far.

Now not to start a debate over the best caliber, is the .25-06 a hair larger than a .270?

it's a tad smaller. they both originated from the .30-06 casing and have just been necked down to accept a smaller caliber bullet.

$599 is a good price for a good deer rifle. That or the Remington mentioned, OR a Savage sporter rifle with the Accu-Trigger/Accu-Stock combination, would serve you well.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

My first choice would be a rem 700, but picked up a marlin xs7 for my kid the other day and I like it pretty good. Adjustable trigger and pretty accurate. $300 price tag

Quote Originally Posted by BREAK'N WINGS View Post
    I kinda want to go away from the Remington rifles this time.. I owned the last one for about 5-6 years. I looked at the Ruger rifles, and after reading a few forums. The are pretty much hit or miss in the accuracy dept.
    Don't believe everything that you read on forums as far as reviews for rifles are concerned. Accuracy has A LOT to do with the shooter's ability and even more to do with the round that's being sent downrange.

Ruger builds excellent rifles. All of the above suggestions are likely equally good choices. I wish I had a 25-06. I'll just throw that in there...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I'll throw another vote in for a Savage. Of every rifle I've ever shot, from every different maker, I've never seen anything more accurate than a Savage, for the money. I shoot a 700, an A Bolt, and a FN SPR, and my old Savage .270 throws better groups than any of them.

Something about the Ruger M77 that impresses me..