Thread: Loomis GL2

Default Loomis GL2

Picked up a used one. It's a 9' 8wt 2-piece. Seems a lot lighter than my 3 Forks 8wt. Wondered if anyone has/had one and if they handle a little more like a 6wt than the posted 8wt.

PS - I haven't actually put line to rod yet to see how it casts, it just feels a lot lighter than the 8wts I've picked up before.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

You will love it.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Picked up a used one. It's a 9' 8wt 2-piece. Seems a lot lighter than my 3 Forks 8wt. Wondered if anyone has/had one and if they handle a little more like a 6wt than the posted 8wt.

PS - I haven't actually put line to rod yet to see how it casts, it just feels a lot lighter than the 8wts I've picked up before.
    If I remember correctly the SL2 is not super fast so try it out with that 8 line first. Its lighter than the 3 forks because its a nicer rod.

I guess by lighter I meant, other than weight, was the diameter is a LOT smaller too. I'll give it a go with the 8wt line before I make any adjustments I guess.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

The line weight rating depends on how stiff it is. It takes 8 wt line to load it properly. Whether it is fast of slow is another aspect. The speed is a measure of where the rod bends; faster means it bends closer to the tip. Slower bends closer to the handle. You can conceivably lift the same amount of weight off the ground but the curve in the rod will look different. The weight and speed are related though. If you over-line a rod, it will cast slower. i.e. if you put 9 wt line on your 8 wt. it will bend farther from the tip. The line rating is supposed to be the ideal weight to load the rod. The weight rating of a line is a measure of the actual weight of the first 30 feet or so of the line.

I have several 8 wts. My Loomis is the most comfortable to cast all day because it is so light. It's a very fast rod and takes some practice to learn to cast it well. A fast rod is more sensitive to timing errors in a cast.

Next time you're in a good fly shop, look at the tip diameters of the rods and you will see that the better rods, weight for weight, are much skinnier.

Roger...thanks for the info PB

Great rod - you will love it. If you think that one is light, wait til you pick up some of their other rods.

Finally put some line on it and chucked it some...man that thing casts nice. I just need a new reel so I don't have to keep switching reels from rod to rod.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Finally put some line on it and chucked it some...man that thing casts nice. I just need a new reel so I don't have to keep switching reels from rod to rod.
    If you like a lightweight set-up, check out the Nautilus FWX 7-8.