Thread: Saluda Trip

Default Saluda Trip

Getting ready to head up that way to try to catch the first trout of the year. If anybody would like to join me, give me a hollar. 843-296-3601.

I'll be out there tomorrow morning ... I'm just gettin into trout fishing though. If you see a guy out there with a fly rod and a McAlister shadow grass vest on who looks like they've been fly fishin for about a day (true statement) come say hey and teach me somethin!

I went yesterday and they were rising to dries.
    Bugs were everywhere.

I couldn't get but one 8 inch brown to take a nymph.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I went yesterday and they were rising to dries.
    Bugs were everywhere.

I couldn't get but one 8 inch brown to take a nymph.

Were you out there with another guy? I was kayakin down there in the afternoon and saw a couple guys fishin (one with a fly rod and the other with spinning gear). Saw em catch one.

No.

I went to fish there first, but the saturday crowd got on my nerves.
    I turned around and headed to another area.

Browns appeal to me more for some reason and the area you are talking about has never produced one brown for me. All rainbows.

If you fish there, do it early in the morning.
    You can't catch a thing with kayakers barrel rolling in all the runs.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

10-4 ... I'm gonna be there right around sun-up. I've never messed around down there too much, I'm planning on wandering around a lot and getting a feel for this style of fishing. I fished for about 30 minutes this afternoon (mostly practicing for tomorrow), it would just be a bonus to land a fish or two tomorrow.

check your box in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Browns appeal to me more for some reason and the area you are talking about has never produced one brown for me. All rainbows.
    Bog, Why do Brown trout appeal more to you?

What type of water do you target for Browns specifically?

What type of water do you target for Rainbows?

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't catch any for the first 2 years I fished for trout.
    I think they are prettier fish than the rainbows as well.
    Is there a way to specifically target them over rainbows?
    I don't know.

I just know a few areas where there are more browns than rainbows, or atleast I catch more browns.

All I know about any trout I gathered from fishing the stockers on the lower saluda.

Landed approx 10 fish Sunday evening and lost half a dozen....had the river to myself. I saw one of the craziest hatches I have ever seen. I swear I saw about three acres of fishing rising at the same time around 4:00. For some reason between 3:30 and 5:00 is always when the heavy hatch happens on theat river. The wind was also cutting my tale with the 4wt. Glad I brought the 9ft tailwater rod. It was hard to catch them because of the amount of flies on the water. I had trouble identifying what they were. They looked like a size 20 Adams or BWOs. I caught a few on a #18 BWO and the rest on a wet fly. I lost a pig....never saw what it was. I was thinking it was one of the slob rainbows. It was also nice to catch a few browns. It felt good getting out wading again. Hope to head back soon.
    Last edited by Riggs; 02-22-2011 at 07:17 PM.

I was out there on Monday and met Bog ... The two trips I took were my first fly-fishing trips ever, I enjoyed it a lot. Now I just need to learn to set the hook a little better. I already got a trip planned for the mountains this weekend. I got a feeling I might already be hooked.