Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: electronic books

Quote Originally Posted by cooper66 View Post
    Bought my wife a sony reader last Christmas, she loves it. She has read 120 books no problems.
    120 books in 14 months?

I like to turn the pages and feel the book. Doubt I will every get one.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Archie comics don't count Paul, now sit back down in your desk and quit disturbing the class.

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    120 books in 14 months?
    8-1/2 books per month is low-end reasonable, or even average; don't you think? I'm sure the librarian does not miss calling me when my "special requests" would arrive from other branches & I do not miss driving an hour round-trip to p/u books + another hour to return.

If I was in school, I'd use the heck out of the device to avoid the extra expense @ the book store & toting around all the books/breaking my back. Man, I hated lugging around all those books.

For parents of younger children, there are excellent reading collections, word games, puzzles, etc. geared towards the kids - which I think is cool.

Like I said, I cannot complain...yet. Just wait until my Kindle crashes/dies - I will be screaming like a banshee!
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

ok then, Vikki....tell us how to get the books cheap or free. we all know you know how to do it...

i might have to get a $140 kindle and load that sucker up.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Can you get Battleship on that sucker?

If I could get the zoombie slaya and bowman on it.... I'm in.

http://www.flashcoin.com/g/Bowman_2.php

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    ok then, Vikki....tell us how to get the books cheap or free. we all know you know how to do it...

i might have to get a $140 kindle and load that sucker up.
    2th, you are my favorite smart-assed dentist! What makes you think I know anything about cheap/free books?

Go to the Kindle Store, (via www.amazon.com) - "Best Sellers": there is a sub catagory for "Free Top 100", that is updated either hourly or daily (I do not remember which). I will not lie, I used up my gift card buying bunches of Larry McMurtry, newest John Grisham, a couple of best sellers & some favorite authors.

Most of the books are available in PDF format. You can load directly to your computer. If your I-pad or whatever supports the PDF format, you should be able to transfer via USB cord to your reader gadget of choice. Or you could just read on your computer.

I have not downloaded any magazines or newspapers because I already get the ones I read FREE on my BlackBerry. If I must see the latest Reader's Digest, I reckon I can visit your office.

The games: I've got nothing to say in my defense, except: I like video poker, Scrabble, BlackJack & BookWorm.

There are other resources for free books & such; but it is a "clique thing"; you must present the password & secret handshake before I can divulge that information.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

2th, this would be great for you to have as you lounge around your pool the the fresh cut grass.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Glenn, can you afford 99¢ for the package of 21 games that includes Battleship?

HS: "Play zombie slayer online. Free online games to play" & "Play BOWMAN 2 online. Free online games to play "

Put on your damn Google googles or search the amazon/kindle crap yourselves. Sheesh...I am old school. Damn, I still believe in the Copernic search & SCSI Hard Drives

I got the wife a Kindle for Christmas. Big Brother derided me for it at the time and was I pretty much in agreement. I usually go through a book or two a week.

I like books. Real books.

So I pretty much scoffed at the idea of an e-reader. I started messing around with the damned thing on Christmas morning. Downloaded The Man-eaters of Tsavo for $.99. I was instantly impressed. It reads like a book. It's nothing like staring at a computer monitor. The font, contrast, even the feel, is book-like.

Now I want one.

I think I can even get Big Brutha Thunda hooked if he'll give it a chance.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Is there too much light emitted from the screen to mess up a hunt while reading in the stand?
    It's not actually backlit.

It uses natural light. If you want to read it in the dark, you need a clip-on light.

Easy on da i's

I wish this option was available when I was buying school books from the USC book store...I could certainly see it's usefulness in those applications.

It has been a lifelong ambition to have an expansive library of books I have read. I can look at, touch, and reread the books and reflect on what I got out of em.

Besides, my book case would look awful damned funny with just a kindle sitting up there.

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    It has been a lifelong ambition to have an expansive library of books I have read. I can look at, touch, and reread the books and reflect on what I got out of em.
    Don't forget smell. I love the smell of fermenting paper and leather bindings.

Of course, I love the smell of new electronics too...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

My wife got me a Sony Reader the Christmas before last...It sitting new in the box. Have to say I flat our prefer books.

I can't read, I'm just here for the pictures!

My mom has the kindle and loves it, she reads all the time and has really taken to it. My mother-in-law got a kindle for christmas, and I bet she ain't turned it on yet. From the little I have messed with it is seems to be very easy to use, you could figure it out rp! Doesn't seem to be much light, at least not enought to mess up a hunt. You can control the amount of light that is used in the background(dimmer/brighter).
    Last edited by dukhuntr; 02-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Phillipians 4:13

Nook Color rocks.

And it will let you lend books if you have other folks with a Nook
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

I'm with Big Brother. I like looking across the room and seeing the books I have collected over the years. I could see using an e reader also though for the escapest crap I pick up from the library on a weekly basis. I go to the library for the crap I want to read, but not bad enough to pay for it and to try out new authors. Sounds like the e reader stuff would be good for that.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Get the nook color its the bees knees
    I love Defenseless Animals... Especially in a good gravy<br /><br />When I wake up in the morning I piss excellence

Quote Originally Posted by SCFoxman View Post
    It's not actually backlit.

It uses natural light. If you want to read it in the dark, you need a clip-on light.

Easy on da i's
    My leather cover, (for Kindle), has built in, pop-out-light-thingy, (runs on the reader's battery). I hate that clip on stuff - even for real, paper books.

There is also library sharing for Kindle users. I'm not down playing the other e-readers, (I just know nothing about them). I have a Kindle, and enjoy the thing.