Thread: 2009-2010 SC Quail Hunter Survey

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default 2009-2010 SC Quail Hunter Survey

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Nice find..I hope they get better cooperation with the surveys in the future.

Good stuff Merg, thanks for sharing.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

great stuff. I'm actually thinking about trying to shoot a bird or two hear soon. I'm getting antsy to get out in the woods.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

If we still had enough birds to hunt around here I'd hunt them hard. I loved bird hunting. When I was growing up I lived for it. I couldn't wait to get out of school so that I could hit a couple of straw fields before dark with my pointers. I couldn't sleep on Friday nights cause I was so pumped about getting out there the next morning. The longest waits in my life were those cold Saturday mornings while dad ate breakfast and piddled around while I was chomping at the bit to get out there and find some birds. I knew why he was taking his time, but that didn't make it any easier on a kid full of enthusiasm and energy. Dad was giving the birds time to mill around the fields some and "lay some scent". Plus I think he was letting the birds feed-up a little before we went out there and disturbed their day.

We had the birds back then, plenty of birds. We knew the coveys like they belonged to us, like pets. We even named the coveys by landmarks or by some event, the Spring Branch Covey, the Red Barn Covey, the Pea Patch Covey, etc. Or Uncle John's Covey, cause my uncle had stepped in a hole and fell trying to get up on the pointed dogs, that covey got named for him because we thought that was funny.

We also knew where they'd be at almost any time of the day. And we never ever shot a covey down! We took care of our birds, we managed the coveys. If a covey of birds got down to 8 birds we left them alone all season. That way I was able to hunt the same coveys my dad had hunted when he was young.

But I sold my dogs when I went in the Air Force in '71 because even by then it had gotten to where I couldn't hardly find a covey of birds. I had watched year after year as all those familiar coveys, old friends of mine, dwindled down more and more and finally just disappeared. Those coveys were almost a part of my family to me, they were certainly a part of my upbringing, aided in my training of guns, dogs and hunting, and are to this day a big and wonderful part of my youthful memories. I wish they'd have been there for my son to enjoy and learn from by hunting them just as they were for my dad and me.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 02-11-2011 at 01:09 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I don't think my GSP's would know what to do with a wild covey any longer. I do know that there are some nice coveys out on and near my property, just haven't had the opportunity to work them. Numbers are still way, way down from when I was a young'un and they were down then.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I saw more this year than I have in the past. I would love to be able to go back to the old days when my dad was a kid. He has a lot of stories about hunting them.

A wild covey getting up is something special.

I haven't seen my two coveys this year.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Not to mention any names, but I have seen some quality coveys this year on public land along with private land. I think the numbers have improved some....

I think they have come back some, but not enough to warrant buying and training a dog, let alone two.

Maintaining good quail land is just too expensive to do, not to mention the lack of longleaf pines around here, and until people start planting the longleafs again, I dont think quail will ever fully recover.

I am looking for a good fully trained Pointer. Anyone know where I could start?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I am looking for a good fully trained Pointer. Anyone know where I could start?
    Rick
    Gundogs.online might be a place to start.

Are you talking about a completely finished dog? Hope you have deep pockets...
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Yes, "finished"
    I had one for many years along time ago and miss it. Yes, I know quail aren't as plentiful.

Rick

I didn't mean pay-for-play expenses, though that ain't cheap either. I was talking about the $2K to $5K for a finished pointer/setter.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I was thinking $1000 to $1500 if I shopped around. It's not like I have to have it tomorrow. Hoping to find a good dog at a fair price but not top dollar market. I have a few leads and visited the website.

Thanks

Running Daddy's old setter dog after school(& knowing those few covey's would be where they were supposed to be, God those were the days!). I thank God every day that I was here when we still had birds(early 80's, & I know they were already gone then, but God knows i hate it's all really gone now!) We watched one poor ol' cock bird last year on our little farm, & we almost cried every time we flushed him! What did happen?!? Gentleman Bob was an key part of our history, what a shame he's not here anymore! Damned shame that penned raised birds are the only chance we have at breaking a young dog down here now. Still is fun, though, to see one lock up, or back one that's pointed! At least we can still go out west & shoot some wild birds(as long as that'll be).
    rob