Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave this dude a ride in my truck today

So the millions of acres of wood duck habitat that have been drained and developed equates to habit expanding tenfold, fill me in on what I'm missing...
    -- Blood and Feathers --

“When done under the rules of good sportsmanship, duck hunting is a culmination of art, skill and scientific endeavor. It is also an act of love, for who loves the birds more than the hunter?”
    --Bob Hinman, The Duck Hunter’s Handbook, 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I just gave the fucker a ride in my truck. The cage was to keep him from jumping out and hurting himself.
    I actually had no doubt that this was the case.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by OakNuts View Post
    So the millions of acres of wood duck habitat that have been drained and developed equates to habit expanding tenfold, fill me in on what I'm missing...
    I just can't dude.
    It will take too long and you won't see the forest through the trees when I'm done.

SC has more than enough wood duck habitat, and in some eyes, far better habitat than when the white man first arrived.

There is enough wood duck habitat in Colleton County alone to host the entire State's population.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Seriously man, enlighten me, I will try to keep an open mind. Who knows, your thesis might open the eyes of these "idiots" that sheepishly kill raccoons on a whim...
    -- Blood and Feathers --

“When done under the rules of good sportsmanship, duck hunting is a culmination of art, skill and scientific endeavor. It is also an act of love, for who loves the birds more than the hunter?”

I'm a little bit of an insomniac and could use a good too read myself if you've got the time bogseter.

Quote Originally Posted by OakNuts View Post
    Seriously man, enlighten me, I will try to keep an open mind. Who knows, your thesis might open the eyes of these "idiots" that sheepishly kill raccoons on a whim...
    You want a lesson on why sheepishly killing raccoons on a whim is stupid, or do you want a lesson in the amount of wood duck habitat in South Carolina, or how raccoons aren't even a blip on the radar in regards to harming the wood duck population?

Help me, help you, lol.

all the above. No lessons, just insight. you've yet to answer the initial question. dont get your panties in a wad.
    -- Blood and Feathers --

We were looking for Gideon's Bible
    Last edited by Tater; 02-08-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Me and the raccoon, not Bog....
    Last edited by Tater; 02-08-2011 at 11:53 PM.

You know, making a coon ride in the back might be considered faux pas... and during February even.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    What would be the point of that?
    To see if he could tread water and hold that cage up. If he makes it five minutes, give him a trophy and let him go.

That was also a joke.

He wanted me to blow the horn, but I don't speak coon to tell him it's broken.

lol at... oh hell nevermind

No wads here, lol.

On the topic of killing raccoons sheepishly on a whim,
    Killing any native animal for the sake of killing is a practice perfected by those with little to no respect for wildlife and their niches, and no education in biology.
    Raccoons serve a purpose in their ecosystem. If further explanation is required, use Bing. It's not my job to answer your every question.

On the topic of wood ducks and raccoons coexisting,
    Raccoons aren't hurting the wood duck population. Our local broods are shattering record books and our wood ducks are simply flooding central GA and N. Florida in unbelievable numbers.
    Wood ducks coexisted with raccoons for eons, and to be honest, the wood duck's biggest threat in history was man. Sure raccoons get a few ducks, but not worth talking about.
    We caused the decline, and we fixed it. There are more resident wood ducks now then there were before the decline due to habitat enhancement and the proliferation of the wood duck box.

On the topic of habitat,
    South Carolina has enough habitat to winter millions of coots, ducks, and geese. More habitat is being created every year. Private duck hunting in South Carolina is phenomenal. Don't believe me? Ask JABIII, or stand at Bennetts Point at dawn and look up.

I realize I sort of drifted, but it's late and I'm drowsy....lol.

Well said Bog. I share similar thoughts. And for the record, I think you were spot on with the "forest for the trees" comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Relocation=return business for said nuisance operator.... Have seen it first hard many times....

Mobetter, you think DNR can regulate the nuisance wildlife control operators in this state? They can't even manage their own checkbook! Fact, if you want to be a nuisance wildlife professional in SC, we you can, just get the business cards to prove it. One would think that you would need to be bonded by the state to deal with anything resources related, not so...

Tater a know a certain fella down here that would trade you out a bushel of oysters for him.

oh really now.....

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post

Mobetter, you think DNR can regulate the nuisance wildlife control operators in this state?

Uhhhh.

No.

I just didn't want to miss a chance to give Smarter Than Toast a hard time.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff