Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: midlands trout

Default midlands trout

Just walked back in the door.

Dad had an hour and a half to burn this afternoon and called just in time to catch me before I hit the river.

He grabbed an ultra-light and some rooster tails and I carried the 4wt.

He landed six and I landed 11.

They are still pretty small....maybe 13 inches.

But they are certainly hungry.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

my favorite fish to eat!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

yeah DNR just released a bunch in the last month or so. fishing is good right now

bog: what pattern were you using, if you don't mind sharing? I have been three times since they stocked. tear them up on rooster tail, but haven't caught one on a fly.
    Last edited by everlast; 01-31-2011 at 09:07 PM.

I mind sharing.

And if you are going to fish with a rooster tail, atleast keep them, they will die anyway after their mouths are shredded.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I have heard they are doing well in the Saluda. And it doesn't hurt to drag your clergy along.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

good work grasshopper...

Thanks Moatsy...

I actually thought about you as I headed to the spot you told me of last year.

Nice work bog. I assume the flow is minimal?

how about just leaving them alone until rockfish get here. Is catching released trout not liking shooting released ducks. Just curious on the opinions?

Dook, flow was/is now 350....about as minimal as it can get.

Knavin, the trout are put there to be caught.....not to feed rockfish you fuckin dork.

I'm glad someone's on 'em... I didn't on my day off last week when it was 60. Today it's -13

To each his own I guess. I will use my five for something worthy of bending a rod. See ya out there if you're there from May through the end. Be sure and let everybody know if you go back to the river and catch another limit of released trout. I'm just glad they did not dump them when the river was out the banks like previous two years and people were catching trout at Carolina Eastman. Between the trout fisherman and high water, how are the rockfish supposed to get big with y'all taking there bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Knavin View Post
    how about just leaving them alone until rockfish get here. Is catching released trout not liking shooting released ducks. Just curious on the opinions?

Yes. Its pretty much the same thing.

agreed salt creek, it may be fun, but certainly not worth bragging over. I'm curious if bogster fly fishes from his sail boat? Or are you one of those that walks in and wades?

If the trout fly in to the pond they are trained to fly into and then you shoot them... then it is JUST like shooting released ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdeerBASSturkey View Post
    Dipshits that can't hunt go out and shoot release birds. Dipshits that can't fish go out and sit on the same rock in the rapids and might leave with one fish on corn. Not quite the same..

OK, so it's like shooting a tamie that escaped and found your favorite duck hole then?

good on you bog! Having a tight line is what it's all about anyway...

for the youngsters and the idiots...... 98 % of trout caught in the carolinas are farm raised to a certain size, and stocked in our lakes and rivers. The east coast was "fished out" before many of our grandfathers were born. That is not to say that a few native brookies still exist in remote places, and some big sow brown trout do a occur naturally in some of our deeper cooler rivers and lakes, but some of those to are hold overs from stocking that went on in the 30's(?)

Catching a stocked trout in a deep wide river, is not as easy as some you seem to make it sound.

carry on.

I wish someone would tell me where on the east coast within a reasonable driving distance there are not any released trout that aren't there for people to catch.

NC makes a fortune off of license sales and sales tax from out of state fisherman in search of trout. Tennessee racks up quite well too. And so SC does it and it is wrong. We are lucky to have the conditions of the lower Saluda to harbor those fish.

I had no idea that the trout fishermen were such purists.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post

I had no idea that the trout fishermen were such purists.
    We are and we are not.