Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning gun

Default Cleaning gun

hunted over salt water today and already wiped my gun down with rem-oil, but there were already some rust spots on the bolt and under the rib on the barrel. is there something else i should be doing to make them go away? i thought about steel wool but i dont wanna scratch the finish off.

Put oil on the rust. Use the steel wool over the oil to ever so slightly remove the rust. It works. Start very softly and make sure you keep oil on the spot you a cleaning with the steel wool.

alright, thanks.

Before you use steel wool which will totally screw your finish up, try a good oil and a cotton rag. I use Rem Oil.Put some elbow grease in it and 90% of the time it will come off. Next time you go to the salt, put a lite coat of good oil on your gun. Only use steel wool as a last resort as it will take away some of the finish and your gun will rust much worse next time.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Use fine copper wool with a little oil before you try steel.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    hunted over salt water today and already wiped my gun down with rem-oil, but there were already some rust spots on the bolt and under the rib on the barrel. is there something else i should be doing to make them go away? i thought about steel wool but i dont wanna scratch the finish off.
    Yea. Don't do a half-ass job cleaning your gun. The only spots with rust are where you didn't clean.

rem oil and a copper bore brush lightly rubbed over the rust spot. it wont mess up the bluing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Oil and a rag. Duh.

It's waterfowl hunting... if your gun doesn't have rust spots your not doing it right or your not hunting enough
    Last edited by TennDan; 01-20-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    It's waterfowl hunting... if your gun doesn't have rust spots your not doing it right or your not hunting enough
    I beg to differ. The blueing may be worn off, the checkering may be gone but my guns do not have rust and I hunt 55+ days a year. Not much in salt though.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Bring it to me and I can fix it. If you do it yourself 00/steel wool.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Rem Oil and an old t-shirt. just scrub as hard as you can it should come off

Instead of Rem Oil use "Break Free." If you ever hunt in cold weather that Rem Oil will slow the cycle down and your gun will jam more.
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 01-20-2011 at 11:01 PM.

will never forget the ear-piercing little girl scream that came from me the first time i hunted salt marsh and by the time good light came round my 870 looked like it should be a Clemson decoration....
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Our Members include Doctors, lawyers, and an honest to God Indian Chief Mechanics, students, lawmakers, lawbreakers, professional athletes, bums, and God help us Government employees.

Wipe the outside of the gun down with a liberal coat of 10-W-30 beore you hunt in salt water and that won't happen. You'll still need to break it down and clean it when you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    Instead of Rem Oil use "Break Free." If you ever hunt in cold weather that Rem Oil will slow the cycle down and your gun will jam more.
    X2

My uncle told me about break free a few years back. The stuff works great. Used to be I could only find it at one outdoor shop in Savannah, but you can get it almost anywhere now.
    Last edited by surfcock; 01-21-2011 at 10:44 AM.

coat it good in remoil or breakfree and use a nylon brush to scrub it. They sell them in a 3 pack of brushes at the evil super store for just a few dollars. Had to scrub some from a sling cap after i was in salt water.
    \"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.\" ~John Wayne

Buy you a can of EEZOX follow their easy instructions and throw the Rem Oil away. I hunt salt 3-5 days a week and have no rust issues on a blued gun. It's a cleaner, rust preventative and lubricant all in one product.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

FYI Kroil is better'n Remoil or Break Free if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by GySgtHartman View Post
    Yea. Don't do a half-ass job cleaning your gun. The only spots with rust are where you didn't clean.
    this was before i had a chance to clean the gun. i wiped all the metal down with rem oil