Thread: DOVE QUESTION

A buddy of mine was telling me about how he puts decoys on the powerlines where he hunts. He take s some plastic dove decys and puts them on a fishing rod and throws them on the line. Once up there you have to play with them to get the line tight and the decoy sitting upright but he says they work wonders. My Question is will it hurt anything if the line touches two lines and will it hurt me? This may be a dumb question but i dont have a clue. He says he knows others that do it also.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

I guess you are ok as long as you dont use a wire line for the decoys. J.K. All you need to do is bring the decoy up to the powerline so it hangs just below the line where the decoy head is touching the bottom of the line. It looks like the dove hung himself but it is close enough to make real birds think it is sitting on the line.

I learned long ago. NEVER EVER EVER TOUCH ANY PART OF A POWERLINE WITH ANYTHING. You may pick that moment when all the stars line up right and blow your nuts to china.
    easy livin'

I do it all the time. I DO NOT recommend anyone else doing it. That being said, nylon mono is a horrible conductor of electricity... unless the static has built up... or the humidity is extremely high... or if it is/has been raining.

When in doubt, do not do it.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

DOn't use a carbon or graphite based apparratus and you may be alright. I agree with the water thing. Swamp Rat is the resident expert. I need to get my Mojo dove out.

Sasha...you are a badass!

Dove decoys on the powerline are deadly. If you own the field or will be leasing for some time I strongly recommend the "fake" powerline. Ain't no dove worth getting zapped for. A fishing rod is an excellent way to swing em' up there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

I usually put mine in the tree limbs and some on the ground, with the "Mojo Dove" out in front...hell yea [img]graemlins/drink.gif[/img]

Wood is a terrible conductor of electricity too but I've seen a pine limb short out two legs of the power lines. That's 13,800 volts running through those lines and at that power you don't have to touch it for it to get cha. I'de keep the fishin gear in the boat. Just my .02

Chris
    Chris