Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Numbers Killed II

Default Deer Numbers Killed II

Looks like several people who posted on the deer numbers thread as well as other threads throughout the past several months will not be allowed to shoot as many deer in the future if the new proposal passes.

Now here is the next question. How many of you who harvested more than 4 bucks or more than 4 does (not necessarily a bad thing at all) were part of the survey and responded that you wanted the proposed limits?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

nobody that hunts with us ever got a survey, anywhere from 5 -15 people

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Looks like several people who posted on the deer numbers thread as well as other threads throughout the past several months will not be allowed to shoot as many deer in the future if the new proposal passes.

Now here is the next question. How many of you who harvested more than 4 bucks or more than 4 does (not necessarily a bad thing at all) were part of the survey and responded that you wanted the proposed limits?
    I did.

For the record, I was surveyed by phone and responded that I did not wish to have the tag system implemented. Out of about 35 of our club members that I asked no others took part in the survey.
    Last edited by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner; 01-04-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PP&WS View Post
    nobody that hunts with us ever got a survey, anywhere from 5 -15 people
    same here, no one I've hunted with has either.

no one that i know of was a part of a survey

Are you hinting that you dont believe the surveys were conducted or what?

If I remember correctly the numbers that Charles Ruth speaks of about a tagging system came from the statewide meetings.

The harvest surveys happen every yr but with only a set number of surveys go out
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Are you hinting that you dont believe the surveys were conducted or what?

If I remember correctly the numbers that Charles Ruth speaks of about a tagging system came from the statewide meetings.

The harvest surveys happen every yr but with only a set number of surveys go out
    Agreed. This is a good law, and what these "brown its down" folks don't get is this law will protect the deer herd and their ability to hunt for the future. 5 bucks is still a rediculous amount to kill in a year, esp. when you can also kill does. If we don't do something we'll end up like Kansas or other states where you get 1 tag for a buck and 1 tag a doe. There was a time not too long ago where if my grandfather saw a deer track it was a rare occurance. Old timers will tell you the way it was. Silly dog hunters, they don't understand that this survey DNR speaks of isn't like the Obama census where the gov't pays a bunch of broke deadbeats from ACORN to go around and ask people "where they stay", you have to have an actual address and mailbox. Plus, you have to be able to read and mail back the survey. I'm not surprised some folks haven't "gotten a survey," they wouldn't know one if it hit them in the head. Damn the ignorance around here.

where did silly dog hunters come into this thread

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Agreed. This is a good law, and what these "brown its down" folks don't get is this law will protect the deer herd and their ability to hunt for the future. 5 bucks is still a rediculous amount to kill in a year, esp. when you can also kill does. If we don't do something we'll end up like Kansas or other states where you get 1 tag for a buck and 1 tag a doe. There was a time not too long ago where if my grandfather saw a deer track it was a rare occurance. Old timers will tell you the way it was. Silly dog hunters, they don't understand that this survey DNR speaks of isn't like the Obama census where the gov't pays a bunch of broke deadbeats from ACORN to go around and ask people "where they stay", you have to have an actual address and mailbox. Plus, you have to be able to read and mail back the survey. I'm not surprised some folks haven't "gotten a survey," they wouldn't know one if it hit them in the head. Damn the ignorance around here.
    In my view your sir are the one that does not get it. You fail to see that most people that have voiced opposition to this plan are NOT the "brown and down" type of hunter. Ducktape himself has pointed out some of the many flaws with this plan. It will accomplish NOTHING except increase the number of depridation permits so farmers can continue to make a living, put some money in the DNR budget (hopefully) and give the talking heads in Columbia more control. IT WILL NOT STOP GAME HOGS. IT WILL NOT SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE DEER NUMBERS. IT WILL NOT INCREASE HORN SIZE.

Again, why do you want it to pass?

Why does anybody need to kill more that 8 deer? (4 bucks, 4 does) I am all for it. If you want more deer killed, take a kid that doesnt get to hunt much let him shoot some. I have thrown it out there before: Would you shoot a jake? Why shoot small bucks? I am not a wildlife biologist, I do know this for fact : Every year a buck gets older his horns will get bigger (to about year 6-7).

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    Why does anybody need to kill more that 8 deer? (4 bucks, 4 does) I am all for it. If you want more deer killed, take a kid that doesnt get to hunt much let him shoot some. I have thrown it out there before: Would you shoot a jake? Why shoot small bucks? I am not a wildlife biologist, I do know this for fact : Every year a buck gets older his horns will get bigger (to about year 6-7).
    The real question is why should the guy hunting 50 acres be allowed to kill as many deer as the guy hunting 5,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    In my view your sir are the one that does not get it. You fail to see that most people that have voiced opposition to this plan are NOT the "brown and down" type of hunter. Ducktape himself has pointed out some of the many flaws with this plan. It will accomplish NOTHING except increase the number of depridation permits so farmers can continue to make a living, put some money in the DNR budget (hopefully) and give the talking heads in Columbia more control. IT WILL NOT STOP GAME HOGS. IT WILL NOT SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE DEER NUMBERS. IT WILL NOT INCREASE HORN SIZE.

Again, why do you want it to pass?
    Easy, Deer numbers in SC have gone from 1m to 750k. We need to do something to protect and maintain the herd as is. A reasonable bag limit is a start, because killing more than 5 bucks annually is obsurd for 1 man. We don't live in Alaska where you need hides for warmth and meat to live. This is still a sport, if a buy product of a bag limit is better horns or more farmer depredation permits, so be it. This is not my main expectation, I want to protect our herd so my kids can enjoy the hunting I know and love. My grandfather did not enjoy the same, because the herd was less than 200k until the 30s and 40s and didn't get up to 1m until 30 yrs ago or less. To indicate bag limits don't accomplish this is not factual. The other option is a shorter season, no one wants that. But these idiots on here that keep indicating the wildlife bilogists for DNR or the "big boys in Columbia" are out to get the little man by placing a limit on bucks is just plain ignorant.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 01-05-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker View Post
    The real question is why should the guy hunting 50 acres be allowed to kill as many deer as the guy hunting 5,000.

So should a man that hunts 2 times a year pay the same for a license that hunt 100 days?

the reason being is because you have to police everybody the same. Just like every other law.
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 01-05-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    So should a man that hunts 2 times a year pay the same for a license that hunt 100 days?

the reason being is because you have to police everybody the same. Just like every other law.
    When you pay your income taxes this year you should realize the absurdity of your statement.

Limits are a good thing, and I agree with the law. Also, agree that it will not stop game hogs, but hopefully will limit smaller bucks from being shot. I don't shoot any buck unless I am going to mount it, but don't expect other to follow that rule. I would hope that at least people would let some of the smaller ones walk.

It is aggravating to see the hunters around us shooting every little 8 pt when we have been passing it up, but we just have to deal with it. Maybe those people will start to realize the potential and start passing them too.

"Trophy" management is not for everyone, but having a heathly deer herd is.

Income taxes and laws arent the same buddy.

I am just saying they are going to make a law for SC as a whole.

Explain this: I personally only own 5 acres, my grandfather owns 500 and we lease a couple other hundred. How would it work, would my grandfather get x amount of tags and we split them up. Would i not get to hunt because I dont own enough acres and only my grandfather gets to hunt? Take a club with 50 members that is 5000 acres, does each member get so many tags for 100 acres or does the president have to split up the x amount of tags. What about the man who only hunts WMA, how many tags does he get?

Like I said there is way too many variables to base it up on land size. They might could break it up by county, but then you are going to run in to all kind of problems with people hunting in multiple counties.

With todays law the way it is currently written, a man with 50 acres can kill the same amount as a man with 5000 acres. So there would be no change except a limit on bucks for everybody.
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 01-05-2011 at 02:56 PM.

I forgot to post on it, but in my life i had to take only one survey. DNR also had that one on their website for you to take a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Limits are a good thing, and I agree with the law. Also, agree that it will not stop game hogs, but hopefully will limit smaller bucks from being shot. I don't shoot any buck unless I am going to mount it, but don't expect other to follow that rule. I would hope that at least people would let some of the smaller ones walk.

It is aggravating to see the hunters around us shooting every little 8 pt when we have been passing it up, but we just have to deal with it. Maybe those people will start to realize the potential and start passing them too.

"Trophy" management is not for everyone, but having a heathly deer herd is.

Two points:

1. Nobody has said that the deer herd is not healthy.
    2. How many people will decide to "tag out"? Look at the turkey season posts on this site.

I am beginning to wonder if most of the people in this discussion are to young to remember how it was (regulations) when the deer numbers were growing. Why not go back to that?