Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bacon wrapped

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
    It is perfectly OK to serve red wine with the meatier fishes, (sturgeon, tuna, shark & swordfish), as long as the wine is light/medium bodied, and low on the tannins. Would I order the Merlot? Hell, no! Red wines set off killer migraines in me. A Chardonnay with a buttery taste would be more to my liking. If the wine pairing is more than you can handle, just order champagne, (chicks dig that)!

I do know of a nice swordfish w/herbed bacon crust recipe that does not involve a crockpot or deep frying!
    OK, one of my FEW pet peeves in this world- booze snobs and/or elitists.

You know what the BEST wine in the world is? It's the one that YOU personally find the most satisfying.

Same holds true for hard liqour and beer.

My FAVORITE personal wine is santa margarhita(sp) pinot grigio- I'll drink it with anything on a plate or in a bowl.

That and gimme a '97ish Silver Oak Cab and we're in good company

We caught a small swordfish (150lbs) a few years ago and it was excellent on the grill with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt. But that fish was what is referred to as a pumpkin. It had orange colored meat. It made its living eating shrimp in the deep during the day and it was delicious.

But the great flavor probably had something to do with it not being in a fish hold for a couple of weeks too.

I like red wine with fish. Then again, I like red wine with everything. I have been told over and over again at wine tastings and by wine "experts" that you drink the wine you like and screw the old guard mind sets about what wine goes with what meat.

The chef that jacked up your softcrabs with a sauce should be taken out back and executed.

Fish, in my opinion there are only a few bad wine pairings. Some wine and food matches will bring out the flavors a little more. I thought it was a funny combo of flavors they emailed 2th. I get a kick matching food and wine for people. My first question to my customers is "what do you like".

I will say that I used to be about a 75% red and a 25% white wine drinker. It's been a year or two since I've poured myself a glass of wine at home. For some reason it felt like work, but I've ended that over the past week. I've had three bottles of red so far, and tonight will be another.

i had a bucklin zin last night....before dinner.

apothic red is another good one that i drink a lot. it goes with supper well. not as good with lunch. how's that for a pairing?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I still haven't tried that one yet. I hear it's case stacked in few places in Cola. I ordered some that will be in Friday. A guy in the likker biz told me he liked it, and I thought he told me it was in the Gallo family. Ive had Zins or at least a little zin in my reds all week. First was a 07 Segehsio Son., then Rombauer '06, and last night I had a bottle of '07 OS Prisoner. I've never really caught onto fads, but that is a damn good wine. I put some '08 up for myself, and right now they're already putting out the '09. It needs sit for a little while, that's a big wine. Tonight I've been eyeballing a bottle of Turley Juvenile '06. Okay, I let it out. Bring it on I like wine.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-05-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Damn. And I thought offshore lingo was sick.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Damn. And I thought offshore lingo was sick.
    Damn, man I hated writing that, and I almost deleted it. It's what I do for work. I taste. I almost sounded like some of the people that I cut up on.

I bought some wine in a box one night. Gave it to a girl.

It made her do things her daddy would not have been proud of.

I call that a good pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Damn, man I hated writing that, and I almost deleted it. It's what I do for work. I taste. I almost sounded like some of the people that I cut up on.

I just re-read that and can't quit laughing.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

$2 Chuck ain't half bad
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Gumbo View Post
    OK, one of my FEW pet peeves in this world- booze snobs and/or elitists.

Same holds true for hard liqour and beer.
    Trust me, darlin'...I am not a snob or an elitist. I like sweet, fruity German wine, expensive champagne or a decent 'shine & I hate beer. Give me my choices; I prefer brown liquor + 3 cubes of ice - just ask the folks that know me.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss