Thread: Planting

Default Planting

What is the best thing to plant and what is the best way to setup a field to bring doves?

Personal favorites are rock salt, chicken scratch, and lastly cracked corn. Oyster shells run through a chipper will work in a pinch, too.

Agriculturally speaking, I'm fond of strips of millet, sorghum, corn, and sunflower. If you planted it in winter wheat you can have some nice strips to burn mid-august, and something clean to disk between the rows of the afore mentioned crops.

If climsun would pull their head out of their ass, we could all adhere to the limit and top-sow like the days when it wasn't a pissn' match between the haves and have-nots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashimi View Post
    Personal favorites are rock salt, chicken scratch, and lastly cracked corn. Oyster shells run through a chipper will work in a pinch, too.

Agriculturally speaking, I'm fond of strips of millet, sorghum, corn, and sunflower. If you planted it in winter wheat you can have some nice strips to burn mid-august, and something clean to disk between the rows of the afore mentioned crops.

If climsun would pull their head out of their ass, we could all adhere to the limit and top-sow like the days when it wasn't a pissn' match between the haves and have-nots.
    True. You gotta be borderline wealthy to plant a decent dove field these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    True. You gotta be borderline wealthy to plant a decent dove field these days.
    X2 many times more. Why is it other states allow it?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Its S.C. everything is a little behind times!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moatsy View Post
    It's a like a bar whore... if you miss out today just come back next week... it'll be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Got me. I don't understand what difference it makes when you can only kill the limit anyway. Boy, we used to have some hellacious shoots in Manning over broadcast wheat.

If planting sunflowers you need to plant them before May 15th at the latest to make sure they are mature before dove season. We plant corn late march and sunflowers mid april. We mix it up yearly to rotate crops but we usually go 40 rows corn 24 rows sunflowers 40 rows corn 24 rows sunflower, etc.

All you need for SC is sunflowers, because we dont get birds second or third season. First season the sunflowers are the main attractant. I have a friend that planted 8 acres of all sunflowers, he had the birds so thick the first season you could limit in 30 minutes are less.

Like stated earlier, the cleaner the sunflowers the better. We use a preemergent, cultivate, and a post emergent.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Got me. I don't understand what difference it makes when you can only kill the limit anyway. Boy, we used to have some hellacious shoots in Manning over broadcast wheat.
    X2 on the limit and Manning.

how do you plant sunflowers? Sow or planter? Also, can I plant any field or do I need a field that I have seen doves in past years?

Quote Originally Posted by labman626 View Post
    how do you plant sunflowers? Sow or planter? Also, can I plant any field or do I need a field that I have seen doves in past years?
    Sunflowers are alot like corn in that they need to be planted in rows. Sure, some will head out if you just broadcast them, but you'll get alot more bang for your buck by rowing them.

You can plant any field for doves. If they frequent the field anyway, thats a plus. A powerline is a big plus as well.

Cantaloupes, doves die for cantaloupes. Cut and baled millet is hell on'em as well.
    cut\'em