Thread: Droid questions..

Default Droid questions..

Have a BB Curve now. Tired of it and am thinking about a Droid.

Do you like them?

How easy are they to use?

Can you tether them to laptop for internet? Extra cost?

Anything else you can think of that would be useful?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Easy, can teather, much faster than a BB, battery life sucks. Overall I like it better.

Had a BB myself and got the Driod X and love it. My battery last me two day so battery isn't an issue for me. MUCH Better than any BB i've had over the past 5 yrs
    Loose Cuda/Whip Cream Bikini Cruiser Captain

Being a Clemson fan is alot like AIDS..... it sucks and there's not much you can do about it.

Tether is running a "Droid" special right now (for 1 week only - $19.95 for Tether service). We do not have a Droid; but the daughter does. Her only complaint was the inability to use Tether service, until recently.

I moved from the waterproof/shockproof phone to the Droid Incredible, pretty drastic change. The incredible is not shockproof but does what I need it to do. I would highly recommend the OtterBox cell phone case.

It's easy to use.

You can tether it to a laptop and access the internet. Check out PdaNet. I believe I paid $20 to use the software, etc. No monthly charge.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Tether is running a "Droid" special right now (for 1 week only - $19.95 for Tether service). We do not have a Droid; but the daughter does. Her only complaint was the inability to use Tether service, until recently.

Is that an app on the phone itself? One time fee? SOunds like a deal if so...

Verizon guy told me that their "verizon supported" tether service was 20 bucks a month extra.
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

i have had a first gen moto droid for about 3 months now. It is my first smartphone. the battery will last 1 day. Drops calls more than my Motorola flip i had. That said, i love it. I've heard the HTC droid is better than the moto droid, but i love a physical keyboard.

also, I'm pretty sure you can tether a "rooted" droid for free. check out www.androidforums.com if you want to learn how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Is that an app on the phone itself? One time fee? SOunds like a deal if so...

Verizon guy told me that their "verizon supported" tether service was 20 bucks a month extra.
    Yes: app on phone & computer. One time fee, for one week only. Then it will be a one time $50 fee. NEVER discuss tethering with Verizon!
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Dang right Vikki! Don't even think about it. Being on dial-up in the hole the wife went and talked to them bout it and they filled her full of it till she came in the door and told me what is what gonna cost. End of discussion for us.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Just got a droid 2 for myself and wife after last 5 phones being blackberries.

Batt life stinks. If this phone last a full day or longer then I doubt it is even being used. I set my screen so low I can barely see it and don't even try to run pandora with out being near a charging source.

For some reason when I am on wi-fi at home it will also not send email through my yahoo acct. RR, and Gmail seem fine.

Reception for me has been way better than the last 9650 bold I just turned off. I get 3G in places I had trouble getting a simple sms text to go through.

Web is AMAZING!!!!! Speed is great for a mobile device.

Only had it since last wed, jury is still out on whether or not I am keeping it. My only reason for trying it was to see if my call/data issues where BB or VZW related. They are BB. That being said I still like the way BB handles email and how they handle actual phone calls provided it has service. It has been a huge learning curve for me. I think it sucks that I have to keep adding apps to do stuff my BB does on its own. Example, having to use astro to move ringtones through bluetooth. Still can't get them to work for notifications, only actual ringtones. Speaking of tones, I so far can only use 1 tone for all text/emails. I am used to having seperate tones for them all so I knew how important it was to check it. I'm sure there is yet another app to configure it they way I want.

I'm done bitching for now.

I also have a droid 2 and for what I need it is great!! I'm not quite as techno savvy as some of the others on here so to me this thing is amazing!!! Battery life is my only complaint. For me about a day but my buddy has a BB curve and his battery doesn't seem to last any longer with similiar use.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

I have a droid x and like it a lot. I don't think you will miss the curve too much if you decide to switch phones. I wish I had gotten the incredible or the droid 2 though because the droid x is huge.

Yes, I remember when I didnt even have a cell phone, and remember it fondly.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

How many threads do we need about the droid?

Ill get one when somebody creates an app for scducks.

I have had a Droid since it first came out. Best Smart Phone I have ever used--including my buddies I Phone. I have dropped it in the lake twice--over 5 feet both times, and it came back to life. The Google OS on the droids kicks Windows OS in the nuts. Battery life can suck if you don't pay attention to what is running--but the rest of the features on the phone make it worth it.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Quote Originally Posted by D's Tees View Post
    also, I'm pretty sure you can tether a "rooted" droid for free. check out www.androidforums.com if you want to learn how to do it.
    yes you can

I got the HTC incredible. Love the phone but I dont think the reception is as good as my BB. Considering switching to a Droid X before my 30 days is up if it gets better service. Only reason I got the Incredible over the X is size. That X is too dadgum big. Anybody got any opinions on that?

Also, I know it voids the warranty, but what effect does "rooting" have on an insurance claim? I wouldnt be against doing it, especially if it would allow me to tether for free and erase all the preloaded apps that I never use off the phone.