Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickens

Default Chickens

Anyone raise their own chickens? I know next to nothing about em, but I've got room and want some. How hard can they be right?

I want to look at getting a few laying hens and then also start me a little meat chicken flock.

Any experienced poultry raisers out there have some pointers to get me going?

Thanks
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

The grandparents of the girl I dated in high school had em ... They served one or two up every Saturday night. It tasted good, but their yard smelled like shit.

We picked up 15 of the scutters last year as chics. I never had a clue how funny and interesting chickens can be. We built our coop about three sizes too big and the pen about four sizes too small. Having built the pen too small I just turn them out during the day and let them free range since I live in the middle of nowhere. If you get some just don't make the same mistake I did. They are a durn trip and I would definately get a couple.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I've got plenty of room, so I'd probably let them free range a good bit. Until my brotherly neighbors start helping themselves to them.

Is there a particular type that can be left out all the time and kind of fend for themselves against predators?
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Mine hang out mainly around the barn, next door to the coop. So far, I've not had any predator attacks since we have had them, but I do put them up at night. They are all suscpetible to predators, so just get whatever kind you want.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

rhode island reds are what dad's got.....you'll have more fresh eggs than you know what to do with.....free range during the day and there's a room in the barn, with a window that get into at night.....need somewhere they can be safe at night....bobcats and coyotes have got a few in the past....they sure enough have personalities

Dont do it. Pain in the ass!
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Wait until the spring and order black stars or red stars from Murray McMurray hatchery you won't be disappointed and you can order all hens

I have six game chickens that run around the yard. I haven't fed them in six months and they are still doing fine. They only lay in the spring though.

I plan on eating one that I have some issues with.

Pretty sure a game chicken is what you want for a "fend for yourself chicken".

I had a mixed flock at one time, and most of the game chickens have survived. They will even fight a hawk.

We have had large brown egg layers for years. Black Giants, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons are what we chose so we could have some different colors. Personally, I wouldn't go with a rooster to start with but that is just personal preference as we had young kids when we first got them.
    They have been really easy to care for over the years and we have enjoyed them a lot. You can't beat the eggs you get off them. No comparison to store bought at all.
    Feed them starter/grower hen they are chicks and laying mash pellets after they get a little size to them and maybe some crushed oyster shells for the calcium.
    We bought ours from Murray McMurray and will again when we need some more.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

X2 on rhode island reds. they lay a big ass brown egg and you will have more eggs then you know what to do with. our fridge at home always has an average of 3-4 dozen eggs in it. we probably have 8-9 laying chickens. i also wouldn't recommend getting a rooster. damn things are aggressive.

a steady diet of laying mash and some crushed oysters like skrimp said should be the ticket. be prepared for large quantities of shit everywhere.

edit-if youre looking for some yard birds i'd go with bantams. we have a couple roaming the yard that haven't turned into dinner yet by a housecat.
    Last edited by ziggy; 11-16-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

x2 on the bantams.

x2 on the not getting a rooster.

I had the itch all through college, moved back to the homeplace after graduation, and first thing I did was get me a rooster.

He lasted a week. I shot him out of the dogwood beside my bedroom window at 3am.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Get some Guineas too for fun...... No bug is safe in your yard (or the neighbors)....

Roosters are fun for a day or two. Pressure cooker seems to give good results.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I use to have SEXLINKS, no kiddin. Anybody ever heard of them? Good eatin too.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I had a pet rooster for a time.

I believe he was a R.I. Red.
    Social as hell. I could walk out the door, call his name, and he would crow every time.

BTW cat got him, after that there has not been a safe cat around the farm.
    Last edited by JOHNSON; 11-16-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Anyone raise their own chickens? I know next to nothing about em, but I've got room and want some. How hard can they be right?

I want to look at getting a few laying hens and then also start me a little meat chicken flock.

Any experienced poultry raisers out there have some pointers to get me going?

Thanks

Your wife gonna let you keep chickens??? You better get her permission first.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

black stars and red stars from mcmurray are the sexlinks they have. Suppose to be egg laying machines I got 25 that will be a month old tomorrow and should start laying at 4 to 5 months old.

I got about a hundred running around black sex links, barred rocks, rir, and game. the black sex links are the best layers out of them. I run good breeding stock and hatch my own in the spring.
    The best time to do something is between yesterday and tomorrow

Man we were getting close to a dozen eggs a day up until two or three months ago. Now, we are lucky to get one a day, some days none. Maybe they are moulting or something, I don't know. We have Americana's, another breed that lays blue and green eggs, think they are Cuckacoo and one other breed I can't remember. Chicken are the easiest animal to care for I've ever had and lay some fine tasting eggs to boot.
    12-26-98 12-1-13