View Poll Results: Game animal or vermin?

Voters
345. You may not vote on this poll
  • Game Animal

43 12.46%
  • Vermin

302 87.54%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hog?

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    No, they're definitely a scourge. But somehow turks and deer bounced back in the lowcountry from unregulated killing, even with pigs among them. Meanwhile, in the piedmont and upstate, where there weren't many if any at all, turks and deer were extinct and couldn't bounce back without restocking.

Man wiped out deer and turkeys in the upstate.

and man has aided in the hog population growth outside their historic range.

But blame the pig.
    Yup

You are equating a veritable pestilence to a game animal.

It isnt about competition among natives, it is about agriculture.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'll put a response in. If you come and sit in a stand on our land, and you see one and don't shoot. There is a chance you might not come back.

I'm still waiting for my invite.
    If god is your copilot, switch seats.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Left over oysters???? Never heard of such a thing.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    You are equating a veritable pestilence to a game animal.

It isnt about competition among natives, it is about agriculture.
    I'm sensitive to the agricultural problem and deer are just as terrible. I've seen what deer do to a beanfield. Most would be appalled if they heard about dep permits used on deer to be gutshot and run off and die in the summer. But that's life in protecting crops. I know a farmer who hates turkeys; they can wipe out the seed just planted in no time.

Native shmative. After 400 years, you're indigenous. Especially if the "true" natives' population exploded side by side with you as in the vast, primordial swamps of the Santee and Savannah. But that'll never be accepted by the deer and turkey poets of the world so I'll leave that alone. They're entitled to their opinion.

Dude, if you want pigs' spread eliminated, go ahead and eradicate them on the farms and the hunt clubs. But the guy trapping them for you???? You need to kill every single one of them while they're in your sight. Or they will be sold to pay to hunt operations or re-released on the other farmland woods or even released into the national forests in SC. I like to hunt 'em but I don't like catch and release for hunting. A guy I know killed a barrow in the FMNF. Another guy I know killed a sow with no ears left on her in a state forest in SC. Catch and release.

SCDNR spends a lot of time encouraging hunters to kill them. Fine. But why won't LEO's get jiggy with catching the trap and release folks who are creating hunting opportunities for themselves???? Those guys are like firemen starting his own fires, making themselves heroes to farmers and cashing in to boot.

The real culprit in the pig explosion is man, the same damn culprit who wiped out turks and deer in the upstate/Piedmont and nearly did so on the lower coastal plain.

There should always be a remnant of wild hogs on the Santee and Savannah. After 400 years, you're indigenous like the white man. And the white man is the real damn scourge in this state. Just look around. Outside of a remnant and those two river basins? Do what you will but do it to the catch and release culprits as well. Nobody likes a snitch shouldn't apply if you honestly believe hogs are a pestilence.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

So, by your logic, the white man is native too and thus your argument is null and void.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Dude, if you want pigs' spread eliminated, go ahead and eradicate them on the farms and the hunt clubs. But the guy trapping them for you???? You need to kill every single one of them while they're in your sight. Or they will be sold to pay to hunt operations or re-released on the other farmland woods or even released into the national forests in SC. I like to hunt 'em but I don't like catch and release for hunting. A guy I know killed a barrow in the FMNF. Another guy I know killed a sow with no ears left on her in a state forest in SC. Catch and release.
    FWIW, my family has a commercial hog farm.

We lost the hunting lease on a real nice piece of property that cuts in between most of our farmland. New tenants began trucking in pigs. (They were from Conway). Pretty soon, we had a huge problem. Feral pigs, (as I call them) were coming out of the woods to eat the spillage around the feed bins.

A hog farm is about as an antiseptic facility you will find, short of a DNA research lab...our contractor heard about the problems with the ferals and went ape shit. Domestic pigs are not bred to have much of an immune system. Coming into such close contact with their feral cousins, it was just a matter of time before something was spread and would wipe out 4,400 hogs...a crushing, almost bankrupting blow to both farmer, and contractor.

Fuck a possum, fuck a hog, fuck any shitstain who relocates them.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 01-10-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    fuck a hog, fuck any shitstain who relocates them.

Damn, that's poetry.

On another note, I put a feeder on a high area in the swamp on our hunt club because of all the hog sign. The hogs are still coming but they are mopping up what the deer don't eat. Damn things are feeding at night only.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by quackersncheez View Post
    anybody need some killing done...just let me know. i can bow hunt if you prefer...

You and me both. Loud or quiet. It don't make a damn.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

If I remember correct, there was a kid on here a while back asking how to attract them. He probably clicked game animal.

2500HD
    1436 Wareagle 25 Mercury

Shooting hogs is a great way to get aggression out.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Shooting hogs is a great way to get bloody so you can let cowpoints, three points, and young ten points walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?