Thread: 12v to 110

Default 12v to 110

Can I run a 12 volt motor off a regular socket in the house? If so is there some kind of converter I need?
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

yes you need a converter. Radio Shack can help you

no you dont... just take two wires and push them in the socket... touch them together to make sure they have power on them.. but dont hold them together for too long. get your trolling motor and an onion. hook the trolling motor to the wires and blammo! you've got onion rings.

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

If you put 110 volts AC on a 12 volt DC trolling motor it will last approx. .6 seconds and it will burn the windings in the motor & blow the brushes thru ur sheetrock wall........Have you ever thought about using a 12 volt battery ????
    student and child prodigy of the "Professor's" duckology!

You're talking about two totally different animals here....

Typically, your 110-120VAC consumer motors are what they call induction motors (no brushes/no mechanical contact on the armature) and work on single phase (your normal, everyday 20A home style outlet).

Your 12VDC motors are typically just that, standard DC motors that apply fields via brushes (mechanical connection) to the armature and work via a 12VDC power supply (battery pack).

These two technologies, as well as many others, are not even remotely the same....

Please don't stick the wires into a socket in your house.... I'm just sayin' this could get bad fast....

A 12V battery of any kind will be fine. I don't know of any consumer 12V motor that isn't built for DC power supply.
    Last edited by turbo; 09-28-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Thanks guys for the great info. It is not a trolling motor and I am a little bit smarter than putting wires in the light socket. I will just use a 12v battery.
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

Lots of choices. Every charger (cell phone, laptop, etc) is converting 110 AC to some DC voltage. Just get one that puts out 12 DC with enough amps to run whatever motor ya got. You probably have one in the garage some where - evern a 12v battery charger for a car battery will do it.