Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobetter's Gator

Default Mobetter's Gator

Timing is everything.

Set out Friday night to fill mine and Mo's tag.

Tide was wrong, so were not in a hurry to get in the water early Friday evening. Mo wanted a 8-9 footer and I was looking at the same for mine.

30 minutes off the landing, and we are hooked up with exactly what he was looking for, but decided it was too early in the evening to fill his tag and passed him up.

7 hours later and we both regretted the hell out of that decision.

We bumped into CUDexter and Chucky, they rode with us and we ended up putting one gator in the boat to break the monotony:

The sky was getting rosy and the birds were chirping so we decided to load the trailer and try to get some sleep. Pisses me off because it broke my batting average of 1000....

Woke up, ate a good breakfast, went to a dove field, then set out to do it again. Tides were still kicking our ass and we just hauled ass all over hells creation. Finally about midnight we see a set of eyes that looked decent and decided to set up on him. He was a cagey bastard, but was intent on sticking around "his" spot so we were optimistic. We never could get close enough for a harpoon stick so the treble hook was the primary weapon of choice.

Finally, right at midnight, after several missed attempts at places he "was just at" I sunk the treble in his jawbone.

With that said, let me say that I will not go with only two people in the boat again. I never thought it would be that hard to hold a fishing pole, a spot light, and operate a boat against a dumping tide...

2.5 hours later we had trial and errored our way around one line in a large gator, figured out you can not launch an harpoon accurately with a spot light in one hand and finally connected with something that we could manhandle him with. Bad luck prevailed, and the harpoon went into his bowels. Pulled him up from 13.4 foot off the bottom, and mo put a solid stick right in his lungs.

The gator was nowhere near done and almost bit the lunger harpoon in half. Finally got some lead in his head and right at the 3 hour mark, he was on his way into the boat for the sad ride home.

I couldnt have been happier.

I have killed much bigger and heavier gators, but this one was by far the hardest one to get in the boat.

He measured out at 10'3" kinked up just a bit, and I would guesstimate his weight around 450-500 lbs.

Congrats Mo, that is a fine first gator!
    Last edited by BigBrother; 09-27-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

Good gator and story!
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

them gators is tough on a rod and reel in deep water..... i wont try that shit again... haha... had a 9'11" wear me the hell out for about an hour while he just sat there on the bottom.... finally the hook pulled out, and he came straight up to the bank to get air, and met the bad end of a harpoon to the neck.... he was pissed after that to say the least.. haha
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 09-27-2010 at 10:10 AM.

when are you boys going to call WIS! Damn it I want to see some of my buddys from SCDucks on WIS!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Squatty - i will be on there next week! Patience grasshoppa!

You go back to the same place you were Friday night or did you go else where? I found one Saturday night on the ICW that I think is the one you were trying to get the night before when the other boat messed you up.

Heading back out Saturday night to try and fill my tag and looking at the tide table, might be home before the sun comes up.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have seen enough of that "area".

Tried somewhere else...all the gators are getting cagey, but again, never could get on a decent tide.

Good luck, I might let my tag just go...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by DUCK MASTER View Post
    Squatty - i will be on there next week! Patience grasshoppa!
    By God you better make damn sure I get a heads up so I can TiVo that 'chit!

@ Squatty

Good Stuff BB!!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

DM, or better yet call me so I can come to the landing and hold up a poster sign in the background that says something like SCDucks Rocks! or Duck Master is a Gator Getter! That would be HIGH larious!

That would be CLASSIC!

It would so be funny! I don't know if I could do it with a straight face

I can only imagine working everything with only two in the boat. We had three and it was hard. Good one by the way.

congrats BB
    Bone....

Dude, Bullfrog is your friend!

Good gator too!

Quote Originally Posted by jon428 View Post
    I can only imagine working everything with only two in the boat. We had three and it was hard. Good one by the way.

It can be done solo but everything has to be perfect and I mean everything. With more than one everyone has to know their role and someone is to be in charge at all times. BB assigned duties the minute we got in his boat Friday night for the ride along.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I had a great time. Was wore the fuck out though.

I'm glad I got to meet Chuck and Dex as well.

Fro, I have rosacea, bullfrog ain't gonna help it none.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I had a great time. Was wore the fuck out though.

I'm glad I got to meet Chuck and Dex as well.

Fro, I have rosacea, bullfrog ain't gonna help it none.
    Foot meet mouth! my bad, just figured since your neck was red as a fire cracker you was burnt up!

yea I bet you do feel like an ass don't 'cha!

Still not as bad as the time when I said something to this dude at a boat ramp in Maryland who I thought had a black eye.