Thread: Leinbach Disc Harrow repair

Default Leinbach Disc Harrow repair

We own a 6'-10" wide, 300-20-20 model Leinbach harrow. On one of the front gangs of discs, either the 1) disc plates broke or 2) the bearing is shot/loose. Reason I say "either" is that the harrow is at the farm and I am here at the house, 1 hour away. Should have taken a pic of the problem but did not think about it until I left. The front gang was pretty loose and clangy but rolled OK. Leads me to believe it is the plate(s) and not the bearing.

Anyway, I ordered disc plates and bearings from Leinbach to make the repair either way. The man at Leinbach (good guy btw) said replacing either one is "pretty easy" with the right size wrenches (which we have).

Anyone ever fooled with this type of replacement? If so, any tips or pointers? Don't guess it can be too hard but I have found with tractors that nothing is ever quite as easy as someone tells me. And I even went to Clemson...

Our Leinbach disc harrow (four 4-disc gangs) is probably a different model than yours, but our experience is that it will be bad bearings. At least "...pretty loose and clangy but rolled OK" sounds like bad bearings. With proper tools, good luck and two of us working we can replace the bearings on one gang in +/- 30 minutes.

BTW - I went to Clemson, too. But they didn't teach bearing replacement!
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

have a leinbach 240, which i believe is a 4 axle, 4 cutter per axle. typcally have to replace the bearings on 2 axles every year. the non-sealed bearing just won't last. I leave the disc raised a little ( maybe 6 inches) on the tractor to work with it. watch you knuckles which loosening bolts on the frame. have a side grander available or a torch depending on how rusted the u-bolts are. have had to replace those about half the time also.

Tip - take a piece of rope and as you remove the nut, washer, spacer, disc, spacer, etc.. - thread it onto the rope in the sequence you remove it from the axle. It makes putting it back on in the right order much easier. It also keeps you from losing pieces when you have to run to Farm Supply store to get something you either forgot or broke.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

I have the same plows model 300 20 inch disks. I have replaced every part possible on them. Hook the harrows up to your tractor , next loosen the long bolts that connect the hangers to the frame. All you need to do is take one nut off each end and bump the top brace on each one, side ways. Next raise your harrows up with your tractor and the side you are working on will come off. Then if you will stand them on there end you will be able to slide each part off the axle and you can locate the problem. Make sure you loosen the nut on the axle BEFORE you raise the harrows up to take loose from the frame. Once you are reinstalling the hangers onto the frame it is very helpful to have a friend keep the hangers in an upward position while you lower the rest of the plows down (instead of trying to pick the set you are working on up and bolting onto the frame). I hope this helps. p.s. once one part on those harrows break there will be more to follow. I have had 2 diffferent sets of the 300 series

The bearing assemblies on this model are sealed so it could just be the spacers that broke and are allowing the clanging on the outside disc. Parts came in direct from Leinbach today - will be itching to get a look at the repair when I can get to it.

Hell of a tip on the rope trick SM...

Thanks guys.

Sounds like bearings to me. Being sealed doesn't prevent them from coming apart and falling out. Shouldn't be a problem to change on a Leinbach. The blades will still turn but won't be smooth after the bearings fall out. I just changed two on a Tuffline.

Take a side grinder with you. You probably need to smooth the ruff places off the axle. If it was used for long after the bearings broke, it cut into the axle.

Also take a good size pipe wrench. Place it on one of the blades so when you take the axle nut off the pipe wrench will hold the axle and other blades in place. It will rotate around until it hits the bearing /disc arm.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-22-2010 at 10:23 AM.