Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much meat does a 12'(+/-) gator have to offer?

Ive been telling ya'll yuppies to kill the 6-8fters since the birth of this deal.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That's what I set out to shoot, but the big one was the first one we got close to and I didn't pass it up. From now on, if I decide to apply again, the big ones get a pass, no matter how tempting. Way to much trouble to process and I can't stand the thought of not making use of every part possible of something that big and old so nothing went to waste. It will get eaten by somebody even if it's all in a stew.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

made this gator sauce piquante recipe the other day. cut the gator into pretty small cubes so it wouldnt be too tough and soaked it to get the blood out. this may work well for some of the big boy gator meat thats a little tough/gamey. i thought it turned out great.

·2 - 3 lbs. alligator meat
    ·3 onions
    ·3 bell peppers
    ·5 ribs celery
    ·3 - 5 cloves garlic (or one head Creole hot garlic)
    ·2 fresh mild green chiles (Anaheim or New Mexico)
    ·1 - 2 jalapeno or serrano or habanero chiles (optional)
    ·Oil for sauteing
    ·3 tablespoons oil (for the roux)
    ·3 tablespoons flour (for the roux)
    ·1 can crushed tomatoes and 2 cans Ro-tel tomatoes
    ·1 small can tomato paste
    ·1/2 cup red wine
    ·1 to 1 1/2 cups stock or broth
    ·2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    ·2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    ·2 teaspoons black pepper
    ·1 teaspoon white pepper
    ·2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, OR
    o1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
    ·1-1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, OR
    o1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    ·Salt to taste

Dice or cube the meat, then saute in a little oil until browned.
    Chop and saute one of the onions and one of the bell peppers, and saute until tender. Pure these in a blender and set aside.
    Saute the remaining onion and bell pepper with the chiles, celery and garlic.
    Make a medium, peanut-butter colored roux with the oil and flour, adding a little more oil or flour until you have the right consistency. Add the roux to the sauted vegetables to stop the cooking process, and stir well. Make sure the roux does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
    Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire to the sauteed vegetables. Add the onion/bell pepper pure and stir. Season with the Creole seasoning and salt to taste. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, making sure it doesn't stick.
    Add the meat, rosemary and thyme and cook for 30 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently to avoid sticking.