Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuomey Field Shoot

Default Tuomey Field Shoot

What a collection of rubberheads... waaaaay too many people. Instead of letting the birds try to come into the field, all these idiots were determined to keep them out by shooting at them when they were well beyond effective range. Thanks idiots - all you did was ruin it for hunters that can actually hit a bird at normal ranges. They did not want a bird to come over them without shooting AT it... nevermind that it is out of range.

Special appreciation goes to the father who decided his son was old enough to handle a gun in the field. Not only did you decide that 30 yards from me was PLENTY of room, your dumbass son decides to test his trigger and fires his shotgun into the ground towards me.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

by now, if you have to be told to stay away from a public field on a saturday, you just havent been paying attention.

i went to a public shoot yesterday and had some idiots trying to shoot birds 100+ yards away in the next field over.....lucky i think they ran out of ammo about 3 and left lol

damn

The SCDNR would never allow uncontrolled masses to descend upon the places the they manage ($$$) for waterfowl... why would they allow all the hard work and money to be wasted on their dove fields.

Sportin'
    Some of the fields are managed wonderfully. I went on a dove draw hunt that was out of this world. Unfortunately, the DNR has lost all control on the places they now manage. Really sad...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they turned all the fields into draw hunts for the entire season. I hunted Tuomey the opening weekend when it was a draw hunt and had a blast. I was near the back corner yesterday and two groups of 5 or 6 came in well after I set up and set up right in front of me so i moved as far away as I could. Saw one asshole actually run a kid off from a telephone pole because he wanted to set there. Watched the two groups blaze away at anything within 80 yards. Every now and then one of them would knock one down from that high, which just encouraged them to keep doing it. i finally got fed up and went to a spot that was empty because there weren't any birds flying there. A shot every 30 minutes or so was better than sitting next to those idiots.
    I have been hunting those public fields around Sumter since we moved here, 13 years ago and it's the same little group of knuckleheads that do the same shit every year. They aren't doing anything unlawful, just annoying so there isn't much I can do other than find another place to hunt and leave it to them. Maybe next year we can actually have an Scducks dove club.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I went to the Tuomey field after the ball game (4:00). I just stayed on the boundary, away from the masses, and killed 8. Gumbo and I had a good hunt.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

I had a long conversation last week with the guy responsible for planting and maintaining a public area and dove field in the lowcountry. He had only had 70-80 hunters the day before, and was expecting 300. They had a ton of birds and every person either got their limit or shot all of their shells. He is a huge proponent of a draw system, and said that Florida even has a system where you can pay $300 and hunt the Saturday before opening day. Doing this also guarantees that person a spot for the season. These fields are expensive to plant, and could provide some great hunting/experiences if done correctly. They have a great commodity that people are willing to pay for, but when people get something for free, they feel like they can abuse it and act like idiots.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I have written letters and talked to everyone who will listen and will continue to do so in the hope of better days. I would much rather pay more or go less via draw hunts and have a good hunt than deal with the shotgun blast start and shoot everything within a mile crowds that come now. A $50 sportsmans lic is a great deal, unfortunantly anyone with the cash can abuse the privilage.

I've not really had a bad experience with a public field. But then again, I haven't been to one in over 10 years. Usually, I would just find a spot away from the crowd, slip in, get my limit and get the hell out. Much less stressful than trying to be in the middle of the action.

As I've said many, many times, hunting has been practically ruined due to a lack of respect for the fellow hunter. Second to that, is new people coming afield who don't have a damn clue how to hunt or behave. To them it's like a football game, you just show up and have a grand ol time.

I'd give DNR a thousand dollars to help get a mandatory RESPECT and hunting behavior class off the ground. Btw, the class would be for everyone, regardless of age and how long you have had your license. Would it fix all our problems? Certainly not, as there is a segment of the population that is genetically inclined toward being low life scum, however, for those people who have good intentions it may just work.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-12-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I was there yesterday as well, it was my first public hunt in years and thought it would be ok since there was a 50 shell limit and I figured people would be selective on what they shot at (wrong) - I was under the powerline on the south side of the field with doves decoys on it - took my limit with 37 shells (which kinda sucked but I'm still warming up )... Also saw the bicycle fella run that kid off and couldn't believe it... Then you had the grown men RUNNING to their spots the second the field opened... It really was a circus out there but we were fortunate to get away from most of the rubberheads and still have a good shoot.

There is no way in hell that those skybustin' idiots in the corner that you are talking about were adhering to the 50 shell limit. As a matter of fact, I don't think alot of people were... it was obvious after the 20th 3-shot whiffs on the mile high doves .... Oh well, I was really hoping that the 50 shell limit would have made for a better shoot - wishful thinking. The thing that gets me the most was that the forestry service was there the whole time up there by the parking lot and made no efforts to come check any of the skybusters... or anybody else in the field. Just sat in the truck... If they had just one agent dressed in normal clothes walking around checking people for shells he would have worn out a ticket booklet...

I would also like to see all the fields go to draw hunt with numbered stands. I know plenty of people would be willing to volunteer for helping out.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 09-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I would start going if they had a 25 shell limit. Why does it take a grown man 50 shots to kill a limit? If it makes you feel any better sushi, I went on a private shoot. Had a guy ask me, "did you see where my bird fell?" I said, "actually, when I saw your gun barrel leveled off at me I hit the dirt and didn't get to see any of it." He said, "yea, I waited till he got passed you." for real.

Nice guy, too. He just didn't know any better. Felt like, as long as the bird wasn't at someone, it was ok to shoot the head off of the sunflowers. Nice guy, though. I watched him kill 6 different birds where he shot off sunflower heads too. Honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

People like that idjut need to be ran off the field. No sense in risking someone's health or life for a critter.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

[QUOTE=flockbuster;668888]Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they turned all the fields into draw hunts for the entire season. I hunted Tuomey the opening weekend when it was a draw hunt and had a blast. QUOTE]

I agree with draw hunts 100% if they all have a preference point system to make it fair to all. The way they did tuomey is a crock of shit for everyone that didn't get drawn and didn't get a point for next year.
    Last edited by NO FLY ZONE; 09-12-2010 at 11:29 AM.

I agree with draw hunts 100% if they all have a preference point system to make it fair to all. The way they did tuomey is a crock of shit for everyone that didn't get drawn and didn't get a point for next year.[/QUOTE]

I talked to the guys running the hunt there on opening day and it's a work in progress. They were asking for ideas on how to make it better so email them and let them know any ideas you have. It wasn't perfect, but it was much better than before.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    I agree with draw hunts 100% if they all have a preference point system to make it fair to all. The way they did tuomey is a crock of shit for everyone that didn't get drawn and didn't get a point for next year.

I talked to the guys running the hunt there on opening day and it's a work in progress. They were asking for ideas on how to make it better so email them and let them know any ideas you have. It wasn't perfect, but it was much better than before.[/QUOTE]

I talked with the green jeans on opening day and told them how I felt personally and left a comment on the notebook for public opinions.

I have always felt they need marked numbered stands. The appropriate number for the field. You already have to sign in on a numbered sheet. What ever number you write your name by is your spot. That way if people are together they should be close since they signed in at the same time. If all the spots on the sheet are full, you go home or wait to someone comes out. Then you got that spot.

The real problem I have seen is the people that show up at 3 and try to squeeze in on people that have been there since 12. Then the field gets so over crowded nobody can shoot.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they turned all the fields into draw hunts for the entire season.
    That's the best idea I've heard in a while. They just need to limit the number of people in the fields. Way too many people squeeze into those places.

They aren't doing anything unlawful...
    Except for the guy who let his kid play with the trigger of his shotgun.

Maybe next year we can actually have an Scducks dove club.
    You'd still have that knucklehead issue.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-19-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

i will be going to the bland or tuomey field tomorrow ONLY because I dont have shit else to hunt. Probably my last go for the year because these mile away shots scare all the birds out the field before they even come in. Every year its gets worse and worse but I cant afford to plant my field. I'd give anything to go back 10-15 years and there was always somewhere to hunt without rubberheads. I to prefer to just sit on the edge out the way and get a few shots rather than have to worry about whose bird it is when 5 people shot at the same time. Another annoyance is when a bird comes within a mile everyone has to announce to the whole field. I'm sitting there like damn I was going to shoot at that bird...anywho enough ranting for me

also wish there was more wednesday fields because not everyone can hunt then. unfortunately theres only one in this area and it to has gone to shit over the past couple years. went once this year and couldnt even find a parking spot. people in the woods, standing on side road, etc. DNR sitting under their tent enjoying the show but what can ya do? could prob have a better hunt in my yard