Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another sob story from a bow hunter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another sob story from a bow hunter

Still goin after the frist buck with the bow. Well it happens. Got in the stand about 5:30. Been having deer coming out the corn about 7:20, so i just sat there and waited. Well about 7:30 i hear the leaves a rusling and knew it was time. Well a cow horn came out to my left followed by 2 does. They swung around and came out at the corn. Well the buck i shot at came out almost rite under my stand. He walked twards the corn and got about 12 yards from me and i figured if i got a shot i better take it cause i didnt want to shoot him around all the other deer and take a chance at hitting one of them. I drew back and he turned slightly to his right and gave me a sharp quartering shot. I put the pin back to make up for the angle and let it fly. Well he jumped string and droped alittle but at the angle he was at, I felt good about where it hit. I waited about 10 mins got down to see if my arrow was there. Nope no arrow, o boy here we go. I backed out and called a buddy of mine to help me find him. Waited about and hour and went in. First place of blood i found was about 20 yards from where i shot him but it was a pile of it. For about 50 yards it looked like someone just walked and poured blood out of a bucket. Then the blood got alittle thin, but picked back up. All in all i trailed him about 200 yards and lost the blood. Woods opened up and couldnt find a drop. We looked for alittle while longer and couldnt find nothing so we left. Got up this mornin and trailed it rite back to where i lost it and just started walking through the woods and didnt come up with nothing. I guess thats just the way it goes with bow hunting. Be back at it next week.

O yea.
    Last edited by ktownduckhunter; 09-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

Dang! sorry man
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

Some 'yote going to get an easy meal.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Man that was quick to give up on.

That sounds like a dead deer. If you had that much blood it sure sounds like the broadhead at least passed through to give you an exit hole. Going through guts, diaphragm and possibly lungs would be a hard wound to survive. If you went high you may have gotten into the kidneys or arteries that run under the spine. It doesn't sound like you went across his back if you had that much blood.

What was the blood like? Where is the nearest cover. Did the deer lay down in the 200 yards you trailed? Even if the meat is no good there are plenty of lessons to be learned by following it up to the end.

That aint that much blood...MC

Sorry you didn't find the deer Kt.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

i couldnt find a spot that he laid down on. its wasnt easy to give up. i stayed on that 200 yard blood trail for 2 hours. I just couldnt find anymore blood, it was getting into open area with lots of leaves and pine straw. i couldnt find anything. he possible could have jumped in the swamp, the last place i found blood he was about 30 yards from the swamp, but the whole way i trailed him he was 30 yards from the swamp. If he wanted to go there all he had to do was take 10 stpes from the corn and he would have been there. idk where he went
    Last edited by ktownduckhunter; 09-02-2010 at 10:00 AM.

I'm not talking about the picture, he said it looked like somebody poured it out of a bucket for 50 yards.

it was almost like in that pic for 50 yards
    Last edited by ktownduckhunter; 09-02-2010 at 08:22 AM.

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

Dead!
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

A 8" wide blood trail for 150'??? Hmmm. Sure is a lot of blood.
    Shit happens.

That's a lot of blood if he poured it out like that for 50 yards.

Did you shoot him in Horry County? I have a dog I'm training to blood trail and I'd love to come help you, but I'm in Cola. and have a commitment I have to be back for this evening.

That sucks man...from what you describe that sounds like a dead deer. Might try a grid search in that swamp.

yea i had to come to work today. Thanks for the offer. Im gona try to look this afternoon and see what i can come up with. If not wait for some buzzards so i can atleast get my arrow back and see where i hit him. there were piles of blood just like that for about 25 yards, then it just went into a hard stream of blood for about 25 more, then just started droping.
    Last edited by ktownduckhunter; 09-02-2010 at 08:35 AM.

you better walk the edge of that swamp.... hes either layed up by it, or in it..... look good around the closest water to where you lost blood

Betcha he finds a gator swimming around with the deer in his mouth.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

What kind of broadhead?

your favorite. Slick Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by ktownduckhunter View Post
    your favorite. Slick Tricks
    He's dead. Where you lost blood, he was getting weak and made a turn. He should be close to that spot.

That's the way a blood trail goes a lot of times. It isn't a steady stream all the way to the deer, it will start, stop, get heavy and peter out. Even a double lung broadside shot might not leave a lot of blood. Sometimes you're on your hands and knees following a track, or broken twigs, turned leaves. When all that fails you just start going on your gut and checking places they would lay up. In a swamp that could be almost anywhere including collapsing on the far side of a log they tripped over and ending up in the water with nothing but an ear sticking up.

Hunting around a swamp it tough, I've had some of my hardest trailing jobs in the last few years in the headwaters of the Black River, hence trying to get a dog trained up to help.

I agree with Cat. He made a sharp turn on you throwing you off. A grid search as MC suggested is in order. I lost a damn nice deer last year and it made me sick, first one in a loooong time. The blood dried up and the deer went into an area I never expected him to go. Look everywhere!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

10-4. thanks for the ideas guys. i think im gona skip the stand today and go back and just walk and look. I know these woods pretty dang good, ive walked them back and forth since i was young. I just got to find that last spot of blood, he jumped over a fence about 2 ft tall and where he hit on the other side blood went everywhere and about 10 yards after that is were i lost it. gona try to pick it up there
    Last edited by ktownduckhunter; 09-02-2010 at 09:03 AM.