Thread: Opening day in Tejas

Default Opening day in Tejas

Have a little 1/4 acre spot at my house that I've toyed around with(mowing and tilling) to get some doves to hang around in. I actually had about 100 birds in the afternoons back there 2 weeks ago, and then all of the crop cutting began and all the birds left. I did manage to scratch out 2 whitewings and a ECD this afternoon. Hopefully it'll pick back up.

I also found out that Texas(or atleast what I saw today) has many rubberheads of their own type. I was driving by fields on the way home after work and folks would just drive to where they wanted to shoot, move about 15ft away from the truck, and put out about 6 decoys on the fence beside them and just stand up there like a sore thumb.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Have shot limits of doves on numerous occasions sitting on the tail gate of a truck. Have one field that I am invited to hunt every year where I ride around with the farmer as he puts out the shooters then he parks in the shade and we sit on the tailgate BS'ing while I shoot my limits of birds. I look forward to that hunt every year. The situation you witnessed appears to be a little different but don't think a limit of doves can't be killed from the tailgate of a pickup if they want in the field bad!!