Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SCDNR Deer Survey-# of Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    Stop being greedy and bitching about your neighbors people!!! Go hunt and do what you want, and let your neighbors do what they do. Confrontational, selfish, commercialized mofo's round here!
    It's just talk. At the end of the day, that's all this is. You can have my Bud Light.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Trophy hunters are gay!

Trophy hunters are gay!
    Your avatar is a trophy deer on your wall. Is there something you want to tell the forum?
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

I remember when they went to buck limits in Tn. The hunters kicked, screamed and gnashed their teeth. Now? They LOVE the results. No antler restrictions there because they know that AR is bullshit.

I remember when Kentucky did it. You would have thought somebody told 'em rasslin' was fake and that it wasn't normal to fuck your sister. Now? They LOVE the results.

Like I said earlier, KY doesn't even issue tags but you best damn have that phone check conf. number that goes with that animal or they will bust that ass. I've seen it happen.

Trophy hunters are gay!
    Define "trophy"? You define yours and I'll define mine. That's the main reason I'm opposed to antler restrictions. That and AR do not accomplish a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    Your avatar is a trophy deer on your wall. Is there something you want to tell the forum?
    Blaaaadow! Right in the mouth.

great post, candor.

noone's gonna tell me they'd be just as satisfied shooting a basket 6 as they would shooting a 4 and a half yr old 10. that's stupid. my 6 yr old knows better than that.

Trophy hunters are gay!
    unfortunately this is the attitude of many hunters in this state. let's go killem all so bubba next door won't get a shot at em.

meanwhile, ole slick will watch 17 does walk by and then shoot the 1 yr old 4 pt. behind them. hey ya'll look what i kilt!!!! i'm gonna let this rack bounce around in the back of my truck with the beer cans and the two 6 pts that i kilt last week. for the life of me i don't understand.

old boy that hunts the 50 acres next to us told me last yr he's hunted 50 yrs and never killed a doe. he kills at least 7-10 bucks per year. stick that in your 3-1 ratio and smoke it. dnr study on property next to ours last yr showed more like 8-1. that's why we have so damn many spotted fawns walking around RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!

i hate regulations as much as the next guy, but we have so many backwards ass idiots that hunt in our state that we will never have any type of qdma until they regulate the shit out of us.

mdb

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I like to hunt deer. I like to eat deer. I realize we have OVERSHOT the does...thanks to the rules set by the DNR. Now, its backtracking. Coyotes have done their part. Sure....but the DNR will say the fox hunters had a hand in that and wont admit they released them, too. So now I have to BUY more tags and limit the number of BUCKS I shoot? Doesnt seem right to me...and I moderate the deer forum so i must know all things whitetail.

I havent shot TWO bucks in years...but I would hate to pass on a deer I grew because I had already filled my tags.

I like the GA law that allows one buck of any size and the other has to be 4pts to a side. Enforcement will still be a real bitch....
    What do you have to back up what you say !!!!!!!!!!

From an agricultural standpoint. Kill every doe that walks. They truly hammer us in certain places they don't give a damn about the crop they just waddle up to the table like one of those fuckers at a hotdog eating contest. As far as a buck limit I see 2 issues :1. As stated hard to enforce. 2: Plenty of "don't tell me what to do on my land" attitudes. Personally I do not care for a 2 buck limit, 5 may be alright but then again i have enough to hunt and good enough neighbors that the neighbor issue does not bother me. Just all in all doesn't seem practical to me

Quote Originally Posted by mdb2 View Post
    great post, candor.

noone's gonna tell me they'd be just as satisfied shooting a basket 6 as they would shooting a 4 and a half yr old 10. that's stupid. my 6 yr old knows better than that.

unfortunately this is the attitude of many hunters in this state. let's go killem all so bubba next door won't get a shot at em.

meanwhile, ole slick will watch 17 does walk by and then shoot the 1 yr old 4 pt. behind them. hey ya'll look what i kilt!!!! i'm gonna let this rack bounce around in the back of my truck with the beer cans and the two 6 pts that i kilt last week. for the life of me i don't understand.

old boy that hunts the 50 acres next to us told me last yr he's hunted 50 yrs and never killed a doe. he kills at least 7-10 bucks per year. stick that in your 3-1 ratio and smoke it. dnr study on property next to ours last yr showed more like 8-1. that's why we have so damn many spotted fawns walking around RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!

i hate regulations as much as the next guy, but we have so many backwards ass idiots that hunt in our state that we will never have any type of qdma until they regulate the shit out of us.

mdb

You don't understand that it is his right as a hunter to shoot what he wants within the law just as it is your right to hunt trophies. I don't agree with it all but it's his right. What you are wanting to do in a sense is hinder a law abiding hunter from enjoying his hunt just because you want a trophy deer. This isn't IL, Kansas, or South Texas. A trophy to you may be completely different than it is to me.

Why look down on a man because he has killed an animal and enjoyed his hunt?

A trophy for me is any deer that creates a memory. Could be a doe or could be a 10 point. Qdma is dumb....it may be the reason our 4th amendment rights are being challenged. With the thought process of some of these organizations tailored to create a "me" attitude. Through some of these groups the commrodary factor is no longer important. Its about growing a big deer that either I myself can hang on my wall or I can get money to let steve from vermont come kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Actually, you are correct sir. If you want to kill a small 4pt or a spike on your land, you should be able to. I think the two buck per year limit, if enforced, would do enough to improve the overall size of the bucks that make it that the antler restriction would not be needed. Heck, who's to say you can't shoot the young tender buck for eating. You are correct sir.

And I share your same pessimism about where the money will go and who will use it. There needs to be some type of law that states that 100% of the money collected will go directly to adding enforcement officers for DEER SEASON...or something similar with easy public access to view the use of the money/paper trail. It will never happen.
    BINGO......
    Back to reality fellows this is SC not Kansas. "If Enforced" just a 2 Buck Limit would do 10 fold what a 5 Buck limit would do with antler restrictions. As a hunter here in SC I have killed my share plus a few in my lifetime and now choose to only shoot a good deer when I see one. If the state wants more bucks a limit on bucks is a better way to go than someone telling you what's a trophy and "big" enough to shoot. It will be a sad day when you have a tell your 10 year old son or daughter they can't shoo the little spike or 4pt for their 1st deer because a bunch of Obamas said so. I was fortunate enough to go to KS last year with a coworker and how do you think they have the numbers of bucks?......1 tag per hunter per year. You decide what a trophy is. On the tract we were hunting on in the 2 weeks of gun season there were 6 bucks harvested none smaller than 140". We would see 10 does for every buck.
    When the state starts telling you how big the buck needs to be before you can shoot the next thing will be they will tell you which days of the week you can hunt also. I would be in favor of a 2 buck limit with no antler restrictions.

Qdma is dumb....it may be the reason our 4th amendment rights are being challenged.
    Ah be damned.

Didn't realize big antlered deer were being unlawfully searched.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

geez, justin, i didn't realize we had a constitutional right to shoot deer. not a good argument.

nope this is not kansas or iowa or illinois. my point is we will not "be all that we can be" deer wise until 50 acre, i'll shoot em if i want to bc i can, or it's my constitutional right, or slick next door aint gonna watch him walk so i won't either mentalities go way. AND the only way that's gonna happen is to cram it down bubba's throat with regulations.

read glen's posts from above about tn and ky. all those hillbilles had the same attitude as our 3c's and bubbas. now they are a DESTINATION to kill trophy whitetails.

it ain't asking you to give up deer hunting or to quit shooting deer or many of the other dumbass arguments that've been brought up on this thread.

simply put, it's asking you to watch that 6 pt "bounce around in the back of your truck rack" walk this year so that you might have something to be proud of in 2 more years. that's as simple as i can say it.

mdb

DNR will never be able to enforce any new rules such as these. They have more on their plate right now than they can handle. We as hunters need to be a little more responsible for our actions and try to do what we can to help the herd. Wishfull thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb2 View Post
    AND the only way that's gonna happen is to cram it down bubba's throat with regulations.

mdb
    No offense but I am about regulated out. The guy that worked hard all his life to buy his 50 acres should have the same rights as you. If he feels satisfaction from a 6 point so be it......it is nones place to judge what a trophy is.

I think we need shell restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    I know a couple of clubs that manage their property and deer much better from what I have seen the state do with their (WMA) property. I suggest they start with their own property first, then tell private land owners how to manager theirs.
    We're from the government and we're here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by SCLAND&TIMBER View Post
    You don't understand that it is his right as a hunter to shoot what he wants within the law just as it is your right to hunt trophies....
    Slow down. I understand it is his right. Never said it wasn't. No doubt it is his right within the law. That is why we suggest the law change.

I am not advocating trophy or "antler" hunting is right for everyone. But I do believe that limiting the buck harvest and other principles often associated with restricting harvest are good for the deer herd.

Beyond that I do believe that a lot of hunters who get elated at killing three to four 1 1/2 year old bucks today, would rate their experience as improved if 5 years from now they were killing one 3 1/2 year old bucks.

This principle is no different than if folks were being limited to 14 bucks today and we reduced it to 10. What makes being able to kill 14 bucks right. It is somewhat arbitrary. The difference is that the arbitrary number of bucks DNR would allow tomorrow results in a better deer herd.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    The guy that worked hard all his life to buy his 50 acres should have the same rights as you. If he feels satisfaction from a 6 point so be it......it is nones place to judge what a trophy is.
    and that guy should be able to grow marijuana, pigs, distill liquor or whatever he wants bc it's his property that he worked hard for and who are we to tell him what he can or cannot do on his own land for God's sakes.

It just so happens that his overharvesting of everything that has horns has a negative impact on my hunting and my property.

How is your deer hunting overregulated? not enough days? too restrictive? come on?????

mdb

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    No offense but I am about regulated out. The guy that worked hard all his life to buy his 50 acres should have the same rights as you. If he feels satisfaction from a 6 point so be it......it is nones place to judge what a trophy is.
    And I agree with you,he should be able to. The problem is it takes approx 40-75 acres for a deer to survive.....so the guy with 50 shouldn't be killing over 2 deer a year. If he is, he's killing what somebody else raised on their habitat.

In the end, the state will be divided again into 3(maybe 4 zones). The lowcountry will start out with a 5 buck limit, the midstate and the Pee Dee will have a 3 buck limit,and the upstate(aka Taterville) will have a 2 buck limit.

The lowcountry will reduce their limit over time when they see the results from the rest of the state's reduced buck harvest,.....an older class buck(translation=more wallhangers and a more intense rut).

There is no need for antler restrictions, a 4 point may be a trophy for some folks(especially kids and hunters who have not killed a deer).

Tags and limits, keep people from exploiting the resource, which the DNR has the data to prove that. The "don't regulate me....no need cause we can't enforce it,......it's my land,don't tell me what to do crowd"......is just looking for an excuse to pull the trigger.

They need help correcting their problem.