Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SCDNR Deer Survey-# of Bucks

Two bucks and antler restrictions.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity28 View Post
    In the upstate the limit is already 5 bucks/year. Also,IMO the DNR should make everyday a doe day and sell as many tags as you want to buy up to a certain extent.
    why would you have to buy tags if everyday was already a doe day?

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    IMO he meant limitless does and buy-as-many-as-you-want buck tags.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Regardless of changes.....how would DNR enforce it?? As a kid, I can remember big game check-in stations but since they have been done away with I just don't see how it could be enforced. Anyone?

not as many deer as we have here either...

thats the problem tho.... people in south carolina just associate deer hunting with corn piles... they dont think you can kill them without it.
    We also associate deer hunting with only ambushing from an elevated stand.

Or turning dogs loose rather than have us slip hunt the thickets and swamps ourselves.

There's a lot that's NOT BROKEN with SC deer hunting, guys, and doesn't need fixed. The deer shortage must be elsewhere from where I hunt; I neither kill more than one to three a year nor fail to see deer almost every time I hunt, mostly on public land.
    Last edited by badfaulkner; 09-01-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

no limit on does..no limit on bucks. no baiting and no shooting a deer with caliber smaller than .30
    If any buck restrictions pass I hope they make it where a buck has to have 3 on one side or better to be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    no limit on does..no limit on bucks. no baiting and no shooting a deer with caliber smaller than .30
    If any buck restrictions pass I hope they make it where a buck has to have 3 on one side or better to be legal.

now, a 270 a fine deer killin apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    It seems odd that we have does tags and restricted doe days but buck harvest is unlimited.
    That's been my point with the reported "Doe:Buck" ratios in the upstate being anywhere from 4:1 to 8:1.

I would think the proper way to manage the herd(s), from a ratio standpoint, would be to tailor the buck/doe harvest allowances by Zone as we have them set today.

For Zone 2, I have no problem with a two buck, 4 point-per-side, 10(?) doe limit, or something along that order.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    Regardless of changes.....how would DNR enforce it?? As a kid, I can remember big game check-in stations but since they have been done away with I just don't see how it could be enforced. Anyone?
    Since most folks now use deer processors, it would be hard to get a deer processed without a tag. If you poached one and didn't tag it, you'd have to clean it and cut it up yourself. There might be plenty of that going on but the tags would cut down on a lot of killing. I sure wouldn't shoot one if I knew I was going to have to process it. I always enjoyed cleaning deer but I'm just not set up for that anymore. Processors have spoiled me. I don't miss the old days of coming home with a giant, shot up shoulder that I drew after a group hunt.

Two bucks per season. Four points per side on both bucks. No baiting. 2 free doe tags and purchase thereafter. Keep doe days.
    Carolina Counsel

Buy a certain number of doe tags like it is now in the upstate just more than 4.

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

...Unlimited does

...2 or 3(max) buck tags (no restrictions)
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

Dang a set of horns if I cant put em on the wall! I would much rather smoke 10 does a year and 1 mature buck than 10 small basket rack bucks. IMO
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

outlaw gator hunting all together... I dont give a shit if i ever kill another one.... Ive had my thrill with that....

Outlawing baiting would do more than anything else for this state... We have "big" deer, but they dont have to move.... They sit until dark, then go to the nearest corn pile and chow down...

How many pics do we see with a huge buck on a corn pile at 3am?

Not being able to dump a bag of corn out would keep alot of rubberheads out of the woods... Most dont have the desire to actually "hunt" deer. But if all they have to do is throw out a bag of corn and wait for the first cow horn to walk out, shoot it, call it a management buck, take pics, get recognition from all his friends that he is a "deer hunter"....well then they are gonna do it....

Also, you wouldnt have trucks in and out of the woods every day puttin out corn..... Deer know when its deer season, just by the amount of traffic in the woods....

Look at how many deer you see in fields two hours before dark in june and july

this would damn sure keep the yankees in flordia...... And keep the lease prices down...

Outlaw baiting, give out 2 free doe tags a year, (more available for purchase after that).... That would be a good start.
    What kinda dumbasses you been huntin with. Put corn out every day?

The big benefit from killing baiting would be i wouldnt have to wait till january 1st to get my doves back after they leave the 30000 corn piles that are in the lowcountry.
    I voted 5 bucks with no antler restriction, the average guy would be lucky to kill 1 good buck a year, and if you're shooting dinks then that becuase you probably are just hunting for meat and not horns.
    I personally would not wanna see a 2 or 3 buck limit. It wouldn't be enforced or i don't see how it would.
    Besides, 2 out of the last 4 years i killed 4 mature bucks, don't make me go rogue.
    Last edited by buckpro; 09-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    My questions are...
    1. What are you trying to accomplish by this new regulation.
    2. What are you basing your suggestions on? (scientific evidence, game management practices, wildlife biologist recommendations?
    3. of the zones listed throughout the state, they are very diverse and different. Significantly different densities regarding deer populations. Are we going to treat all as if they were the same?
    4. Who is going to enforce these new regulations? The current rabbit sherrifs don't have the budget to enforce poaching and trespassing.

for now. I will think of more questions.
    1. To stop some folks from exploiting the resource(meaning shooting too many bucks for the acreage they hunt).

2. Based on prior surveys, the buck harvest in this state is slightly less than 2 per hunter. They also show that 6% of the hunters kill 20% of the bucks....meaning the guy next door that has 50 acres and shoots 16 bucks and rides those peckerheads around in his truck all season.

3. Nope....they will be treated different in the end.

4. Trad is.

=====================================

Now, antler restrictions are not a good idea and our biologist do not want it either. They did put it in the survey to gather opinions. Shoot what you want, just don't shoot too many.

This survey will show the same results as all the rest, which are...

60+% of the hunters want limits and tags implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    That's been my point with the reported "Doe:Buck" ratios in the upstate being anywhere from 4:1 to 8:1.
    Reported ratios of 4:1 to 8:1 ?

The only folks that would report that is the folks that caused it by shooting too many bucks.

The absolute worst ratio you can have at the beginning of the season is 3:1. It can only get higher by shooting too many bucks during hunting season.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Outlaw treestands and rifles. Only dog driveing and you will have bucks running all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    What kinda dumbasses you been huntin with. Put corn out every day?

The big benefit from killing baiting would be i wouldnt have to wait till january 1st to get my doves back after they leave the 30000 corn piles that are in the lowcountry.
    I voted 5 bucks with no antler restriction, the average guy would be lucky to kill 1 good buck a year, and if you're shooting dinks then that becuase you probably are just hunting for meat and not horns.
    I personally would not wanna see a 2 or 3 buck limit. It wouldn't be enforced or i don't see how it would.
    Besides, 2 out of the last 4 years i killed 4 mature bucks, don't make me go rogue.
    ummmmmm o i forgot, everybody puts corn out on the same day of the week.......

i meant in general, not the same person putting corn out every day on the same spot..... if you got 4 neighbors, and you are putting corn out, if you do it on different days, thats alot.....

and yea, the dove thing is true as well....

i dont get it, we cant bait for ducks, turkeys, doves, bear, why deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Reported ratios of 4:1 to 8:1 ?

The only folks that would report that is the folks that caused it by shooting too many bucks.

The absolute worst ratio you can have at the beginning of the season is 3:1. It can only get higher by shooting too many bucks during hunting season.
    how can it only be 3:1?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    Two bucks and antler restrictions.
    Antler restrictions lead to high grading of stud 2 1/2 year old deer and do nothing to increase the age class of the bucks in the herd. Research has shown/proved this to be the case.

Let the hunter define the trophy. Only let 'em take 2 trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Now, antler restrictions are not a good idea and our biologist do not want it either. They did put it in the survey to gather opinions. Shoot what you want, just don't shoot too many.

This survey will show the same results as all the rest, which are...

60+% of the hunters want limits and tags implemented.
    Zackly.

2 bucks, no antler restrictions. Sometimes a dink just needs to die.